Rear Wiper Question...

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

BAC5.2

Rear Wiper Question...

Post by BAC5.2 »

If your rear wiper didn't work, what would you check first and how would you know what was bad?

The rear wiper on my Forester doesn't work, and I want it to.

It's not the fuse, and I don't know what it would be. Could the stalk be bad? What about the motor? I have no idea what would cause it.

Ideas?

Thanks!
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
corsair
Third Gear

Post by corsair »

Mine was the motor, it made a ginding noise though, although yours could just be majorly FUBAR'd.

The stalk WILL be cheaper than the motor, I don't know how to diagnose that.

I have pics from when I changed the motor out on my wagon, I don't think it'll be much more difficult on a Forester, if the need arises.

You could always check out the wiper motor and the wiring back there in the hatch, it if is already dead the prior owner could have unplugged it (wild guess). It's fun to open that stuff up anyway.
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan
vrg3
Vikash

Re: Rear Wiper Question...

Post by vrg3 »

BAC5.2 wrote:my Forester
:!:

Check the relay... then try disassembling the motor and cleaning it out. A lot of times the motors just get full of crud and quit... or start making "ginding" noises. =)
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
wiscon_mark
Fourth Gear

Post by wiscon_mark »

BAC5.2-
you should put the "Forester" Thread in your sig, so people don't get alarmed :lol:

I'd work my way from the motor back, because its more likely that is it (motor wears faster than a stalk). Did you check to see that there was voltage at the fuse also?
[url=http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=486]1995 Legacy Outback 5MT[/url]
185,000 miles
www.sl-i.net (for all Legacys!)
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

I would also check for voltage at the motor... That would quickly eliminate the stalk as the problem.
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
corsair
Third Gear

Post by corsair »

haha, if the new motor fits, why try to fix the old one?

yeah I have bad luck with dissasembling stuff that is supposed to go back together :lol:

the voltage/relay ideas seem to be the best to start Phil, they would at least tell you which end of the car it's on, I wish I were as smart as Vikash, Mark, and MikeC 8)
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan
wiscon_mark
Fourth Gear

Post by wiscon_mark »

I'm not smart, I'm just overly witty ;)
[url=http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=486]1995 Legacy Outback 5MT[/url]
185,000 miles
www.sl-i.net (for all Legacys!)
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

Believe me, I've spent hours walking 100's of feet of cable trying to find a problem, only to discover there was an easy place to check for a problem. I'm not smart either, I just learn from painful experiences :)

I figure its easier to check whether the stalk works than the motor in this case, as testing the motor would require running 12V to it.
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I'm not smart. I just fake it.

The motors are actually pretty easy to take apart and put back together.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Mark - I doubt it's the fuse. The fuse is shared with the winshield wipers, and those work.

I have a spare stalk that the guy gave me when I bought the car. I'd like to see those pictures Sam.

Vikash? Not smart? That's unpossible! Your job title is a skill you were never aware you had!
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Cuz I faked it!
corsair
Third Gear

Post by corsair »

I'll try to find those pictures, you'll need a pretty big metric socket for removing the assembly from the glass, it's held on by this 22-25 mm bolt (need calipers).

You'll be using lots of P-blaster depending on how much salt and corosive stuff the car's seen.

I'll try to get those pictures for you within the next day.
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan