side-exit exhaust

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

scuzzy
Third Gear

side-exit exhaust

Post by scuzzy »

I'm wanting to do a side-exit exhaust, probably 2.5" to 3" max (turbo engine).

coming out right infront of the driver or passenger side rear tire. I'm not sure which is better or would look "right".

has anyone seen this/done this before, or does anyone have any opinions on it?

the idea is for straight pipes with a resonator to cut down on the raspy-ness.
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

Do both. Run straight pipes out each side correspondingly with resonators (ie. don't combine the exhaust; however, fabricating that would be a real b!tch). I personally think it would look cooler if the pipes came out behind the wheels (and also you wouldn't have issues with heat right under the back door), but then you do have to deal with axles and what not. I would suggest however that if you get the mod on, get extensions that will aim the exaust down..you don't want black stains on the side of the car.

Also, you may want to take into consideration that if you were to go behind the tire, on the right side is the gas tank.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

You suggest dual pipes on a turbo motor, without combining the exhaust? How?

I was going to have a cutout routed to the side, right behind the passenger side front wheel, but that would reduce ground clearance by a TON.

If you do it, stick with passenger side. Quieter for the driver, and less pipe.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

BAC5.2 wrote:You suggest dual pipes on a turbo motor, without combining the exhaust? How?
:shock: I didn't notice the turbo mention there. Ahh, I was thinking NA engine. True dual exhaust on a NA engine would be the shit :twisted:
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

I have a dump pipe that drops the exhaust right in front of the passenger tire at full throttle. It's loud as hell when its open but sounds regular when not pushing enough boost to open the wastegate.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Coming out the passenger side would seem to be a lot easier and shorter, since that's the side the turbo's on. Right?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

yeah avoids going around the driveshaft and having it hang all low.
how big is a resonator for 3" exhaust?
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

you can point a cutout right at the passenger front tire without it showing loud as all getout.

nothing sounds like a exwastegate dumped stright out. almost like a giant compressed air leak. well mostly because thats bascily what it is.
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

206er wrote:yeah avoids going around the driveshaft and having it hang all low.
how big is a resonator for 3" exhaust?
What would the point be, if your going to resonate it?

I thought the point was to have the shortest possible exhaust travel path as possible, for best possible performance. Why ruin that with a resonator?

I don't think a side pipe on a Legacy would look "right" anyway.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Manarius wrote:True dual exhaust on a NA engine would be the shit :twisted:
Wouldn't they have to be like .75" in diameter to keep velocity to an acceptable level? It'd sound like an old bug.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Natoe
First Gear

Post by Natoe »

why not just get a 3" catless downpipe that dumps straight down if you want the best shortest path... or leave the cat in it, its sounds pretty mean with it off... loud and only a little ricey
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

What about abnormal tire heating from the exhaust gasses? (Thinks about the Ford Lightning Pickup)
SUBARUEHS Racing
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

THAWA wrote:Wouldn't they have to be like .75" in diameter to keep velocity to an acceptable level? It'd sound like an old bug.
What would happen if you just got some low flow mufflers to keep up the pressure?
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

n2x4 wrote:What about abnormal tire heating from the exhaust gasses? (Thinks about the Ford Lightning Pickup)
I've never heard any noticeable problems from Lightning owners about the right side of their truck having tire problems.

I doubt it would be anything to be worried about. The 05 SRT-10 Viper has side exhaust right behind the driver door in front of the rear tires, and they don't have problems.

azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

yeah the vipers dont have any problems, except for lighting themselves on fire after a track day becasue the carpet gets too hot over teh exhausts.

if you want shortest possible than just get a txs shorty thigh, weld half of a u bend to a flange, bolt up and have the end sticking out the side.
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]