DOne the reading, just need a bit of verification

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

DOne the reading, just need a bit of verification

Post by PhyrraM »

My local "pull it yourself" yard has a '96 Outback with a 5 speed and a 2.2 SOHC. I am thinking of using it to convert my '93 Turbo to a manual trans.

I don't plan on big power so I am not worried about the strength of the trans. What I am wondering most is if the Trans crossmember from the second gen chassis will fit the first gen chassis. What about the driveshaft?

I think I have just about everything else covered.

Thanks,

Jess
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

It will all fit, mount wise.

The driveshaft won't fit, you'll need a Legacy driveshaft (I think).

You also need the rear diff, and ALL pedal setup stuffs.

Beware, the 96 had a cable clutch, so you'll need ALLL the stuff from the 96, and you won't be able to use WRX clutchs and stuff.

I'd look to get stuff from a WRX. You can get a 1:1 center diff from a Legacy Turbo, and swap that onto the WRX gearbox and have that. Then you won't have to change your rear diff (I think the auto's have 3.9:1 rear ends), and you can pretty much plug and play everything but the driveshaft from the WRX. All pedal stuffs, hydraullics, crossmember, all that stuff.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

I realize that it is a cable setup. I already have an pedal set, SS clutch master/slave cylinders, Manual instument cluster and WRX shifter.

It has been stated that a Cable trans can be converted to a push-type hydralic trans by drilling and tapping one boss and sourcing the proper brackets. I am willing to take the chance that it cannot be.

My first choice is a WRX trans, but the price is currently too high. And my Auto is on the way out. This needs to be done cheap for now and at Tax time I can go back and finish the rough edges.

SO, the trans crossmember is the same, but the shaft is not. I will source an BC/BF driveshaft before I jump on this then.

Thanks,

Jess
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

The crossmember for the AWD MT tranny is the same from the donor car, but it's NOT the same as your automatic crossmember, I don't believe.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]