Mounting an intercooler into the hood

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Mounting an intercooler into the hood

Post by Splinter »

Does anyone know of anyone who's done anything like that?

I was thinking, since there's such size contraints for TMICs, what about actually cutting a hole in the hood that the IC would fit into, then moulding a shroud/scoop for it?
98 Steel Widebody RSTi-RA Superbeast
gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

Post by gt2.5turbo »

i didnt have to touch the hood to install mine. I think the size issue was more with the amount of room between the firewall and the throttle body.
93 White Legacy Turbo Wagon: For Sale-ish
93 White Turbo Sedan: soon with a little more umf
91, funky brown purple gray color, legacy L Wagon: the "its so cheap i cant not pass it up" purchase to get me around when the others are down
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

You could mount a massive IC into the hood with extremely short piping, with tons of airflow, more than a FMIC I think

The only problem I can see would be heatsoak from the engine and turbo, but with a rad fan mounted on the underside of the IC, you could draw through outside air even when stopped.
gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

Post by gt2.5turbo »

hmm... so this would ba a rather large ic you would use then? cause a radiator fan is like a 1.5'x1.5' and that would ba one hell of a hodd scoop
93 White Legacy Turbo Wagon: For Sale-ish
93 White Turbo Sedan: soon with a little more umf
91, funky brown purple gray color, legacy L Wagon: the "its so cheap i cant not pass it up" purchase to get me around when the others are down
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

How would you pipe it so that you could still open the hood?
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

Or even more crucial, how do you pipe it so that the ic isn't a vacuum leak?

Its a good idea, but it lacks depth and reality.
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I think he's really just describing cutting a really big hood scoop to clear the intercooler, not actually having the intercooler bolted to the hood.

Hehe, have your intercooler out above the hood like old carbs.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

vrg3 wrote: Hehe, have your intercooler out above the hood like old carbs.
I was thinking about that the other day. Why not?

Eliminate the scoop altogether. Put the TMIC on top of the hood, but rotated towards the front of the car so the wind flows directly through it. You could get away with a MUCH smaller IC because the airflow is so much more effective. And, heat soak would probably be greatly reduced because you could make it so there are no holes in the hood that would let the air drift outside over the IC. Why not?
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

just do like I did, and cut a REALLY big scoop in. Plus, put it where I did and no worry about heat soak when you're not movin :)

- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Holy hell! At the speeds I drive I'd be afraid that I'd flip or at the very least, take all the down force from my right front.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
pw422
Second Gear

Post by pw422 »

sammydafish:
Holy cow! are you concern about rain?
91 rio red ss 5mt
94 legacy wagon gt
95 impreza ej20 swapped
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

vrg3 wrote:I think he's really just describing cutting a really big hood scoop to clear the intercooler, not actually having the intercooler bolted to the hood.

Hehe, have your intercooler out above the hood like old carbs.
Ya, basically.

I still think it'd be better to have a scoop, or at least some sort of cowling though, because otherwise you've got what amounts to a great big hole in your hood which is just waiting for a gush of water from something to drop in and crack your engine block
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

pw422 wrote:sammydafish:
Holy cow! are you concern about rain?
nope, the IC sits right under it and there's a duct to keep the air out of the engine. rain only make the IC more efficient :)

air filter is in the fender kinda under the headlight., so I don't have to worry about it sucking up rain, large puddles are a bit of a concern though
- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

tris91ricer wrote:Or even more crucial, how do you pipe it so that the ic isn't a vacuum leak?

Its a good idea, but it lacks depth and reality.
How would the intercooler be a vacuum leak?

Have a shaker scoop over the intercooler, lol.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

I had a customer come into the store the other day, turns out he does fiberglass bodywork. I ended up chatting with him a bit about this idea, and he ended up giving me a rough quote of $500 to redo the hood to fit this, incl. painting and building the scoop

Doesnt sound too bad
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

500$ is about what a decent size front mount and hardware to install it will cost...
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

91White-T wrote:500$ is about what a decent size front mount and hardware to install it will cost...
Would that be better though?
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

Well, I'm not really sure I understand what you meant by "mounting an intercooler into the hood" but if you mean just sticking an IC up out of a hole in the hood, then yes a FMIC is definitely better.
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

but the idea with a big top mount is to get rid of some of the intake piping length that you have to have with a front mount. the problem is the crazy hood you would have, unless you were going for the mad max look. :-D
also working on the engine would be a pain in the ass to every time have to pull the intercooler.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

206er wrote:but the idea with a big top mount is to get rid of some of the intake piping length that you have to have with a front mount. the problem is the crazy hood you would have, unless you were going for the mad max look. :-D
also working on the engine would be a pain in the ass to every time have to pull the intercooler.

If that's not friggen sweet, I dont know what is.

I just watched that movie like 2 nights ago :cool:
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

91White-T wrote:Well, I'm not really sure I understand what you meant by "mounting an intercooler into the hood" but if you mean just sticking an IC up out of a hole in the hood, then yes a FMIC is definitely better.
Alright :D
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

The only reason why Subarus have stock top mounts is that there is a perfect place for it due to the shape of the motor. Most all other stock turbo'ed cars use side-mounts or front mounts. The length of the pipe issue is really a non-issue if you stop and think how much air a motor uses, the pipes will get filled in a negligible amount of time. And yes the Interceptor is THE coolest vehicle ever.
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

The reason Subaru's have stock top mounts is that it's cheaper. That's the only REAL reason.

Front mount is better than top mount. More thermal mass, in a spot less prone to heating from ambient engine bay temperatures.

Down side is that it's easy to put a hole in one if you are rallying or something else.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

yes a hole in the ic is plauseable but there are ways around it that are fairly easy, chicken wire for instance.

also your about as easy to get a hole in your intercooler as you are easy to get a hole in your radatior
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

There is less tube surface area on a radiator than there is on an Intercooler. There is a greater area on an intercooler that is exposed to damage.

Now, intercoolers aren't glass fragile, they are durable and capable of handling the abuse of driving. But that is still a consideration when choosing intercooler options.