AW S&^% Oil pump

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ars14
In Neutral

AW S&^% Oil pump

Post by ars14 »

well I got it al back together, i guess I didnt use enough RTV on the oil pump, and well you now the rest

and would the timing marks continue to be lined up after running for awhlie mine are about 10 teeth off all around
'94 Legacy L Wagon
no mods, just a driver
Busdriver
First Gear

Post by Busdriver »

The marks should definately stay in position!!

That's how you can check a year from now...
Stock 1991 Legacy L+ AWD 5MT wagon 191k+ mi
scuzzy
Third Gear

Post by scuzzy »

funny, I disassembled my oil pump on the EJ22T motor last week.

three screws had started to back out, so I took off the backing plate and inspected the rotors (motor has 81 thousand) clean as a whistle and free rotating.

my oil pump (front crankshaft seal kit) came with the oil pump case seal, oil pump o-ring and a front crankshaft seal (bought a second one, crushed the first putting it in)

I didn't use any RTV, and the reasoning being is that the pump had barely any (just a very thin film) of black rtv on from the factory. being that the seal is thicker than what that film was, I figured it was best I didn't use RTV at all. I removed any large spots of the old stuff, got the surface as smooth as I could (but didn't scrape every little bit off, if it didn't come off easy it was probably in a low spot)

should I expect a leak in the future or what?
ars14
In Neutral

Post by ars14 »

well i used a good bit of grey RTV and? I am not real sure if it was the rtv or the seal, because the cranks seal had a gouge in it after i took it all back apart,

Dont know what happeded but i am going to use the gasket this time instead of the rtv

we shall see what happens
'94 Legacy L Wagon
no mods, just a driver
scoobiedoo22
First Gear

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

There is no gasket for the oil pump. Try using an aneorobic sealant instead of the rtv, I know that is what the Haynes/Chiltons recommends, not sure what the FSM's say to use.

JOhn
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Actually, they now list a part # for an oil pump seal. I'm not sure what it looks like. The FSM recommends subaru RTV silicone...which is equivalent to the ultra grey.

If you apply the ultra grey properly and clean the surfaces, it works fine.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
scuzzy
Third Gear

Post by scuzzy »

What I used was the gasket that came in the Felpro front crank seal (kit)

so it came with the front crank seal, oil pump o-ring, and oil pump gasket.

disassembled the oil pump, cleaned the screws on the backing plate and added lock-tite on them to keep them from backing out again, inspected the rest of the components, then used liberal ammounts of white lithium grease on the front crank seal and oil pump housing as well as the crank itself before reassembly.

I managed to crush one front crank seal during install, lucky I accidentally ordered a second.

so that got the job done. I used lithium grease instead of assembly lube because it should mix just as well with regular motor oil, and it works good for engine bearing assembly - so why not rubber parts.
ars14
In Neutral

Post by ars14 »

Well i wiil be using the felpro gasket insted of the RTV this time, I must have scored the crank seal during installation, becuase it was flowing like crazy, I must have lost 4 qts of oil on the way home,

Filled it when I got home and ran it for a minute to circulate the new oil, how mcuh damage I did is still up in the air, but now it seems that there is a little antifreeze dripping down. should I change my water pump? dont really want to

So I should get the new crank seal tonight, had to order from advance, and I cleaned everything off good, and will get it all back together

Could an oil leak on the front cause the oil pan to be coverd and the exhause pipes to cause most of the smoke, I mean they are really covered
'94 Legacy L Wagon
no mods, just a driver
scuzzy
Third Gear

Post by scuzzy »

yes, the front crank seal is generally to blame for oil covered timing belts, and smoke from oil running down the exhaust pipes.

you have to be VERY liberal with the grease when you install the thing. I have yet to run my engine, but I laid it on so thick that the seal slid in with only modest pressure
91 Legacy Wagon, Total Rally Car.

#82 M4 TRSCCA Rallycross

http://www.youtube.com/mobilepolice/
ars14
In Neutral

Post by ars14 »

I bet thats what I did, I will put a liberal amount of grease on this time, and then put it all back together again

I did notice that the timing belt was off around 8 teeth all around, from the cam marks, i am glad it didnt break down when I was out with the family, but damn would it slip that much all around or is somehting else broken
'94 Legacy L Wagon
no mods, just a driver