Need a fix! Shift knob and shaft pull off!?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

n2x4
Fourth Gear

Need a fix! Shift knob and shaft pull off!?

Post by n2x4 »

I have a 90 Legacy L, and the shift knob keeps coming off. The shifter is a bit different than the pictures of the shifters I've seen on here. The shifter is 2 parts, the first part which ends in a rubber shaft, and then the rest of the shifter which goes over that and then has the threads for the shift knob itself.

My problem is that the rubber isn't holding onto the rest of the shifter assembly very well. During normal driving it slides off gradually. I tried to use the old hairspray trick I used to use to put grips on my bike handlebars, but that didn't help at all. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

I can get pics when I get home from school, but help would be appreciated!
SUBARUEHS Racing
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I know exactly what you're talking about. I had the same thing happen to me sitting at a stoplight, in Neutral :shock: I went to put it in 1st, and the whole thing just came off. Needless to say, the traffic behind me didn't have much patience while I figured out what was wrong...

I just super-glued it back on and didn't have a problem, and my friend on his 91 turbo actually drilled through the whole thing and stuck a bolt through it to keep it still...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Thanks, I decided to drill a hole and put a cutter key through it, it shouldn't go anywhere now. I hadn't thought about drilling, but it was a good idea. thanks! 8)
SUBARUEHS Racing
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

This is why they re-designed the shifter assembly for 1993 and newer. IIRC, 1992 had the same shifter design as the 91's.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

I left mine off, now I have a factory short shifter :)
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?