Performance Rally suspension upgrade questions

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

toomuch
Second Gear

Performance Rally suspension upgrade questions

Post by toomuch »

I have a '91 Turbo Legacy prepped for rally. It is a P/GT car so mostly stock but it does have re-inforced strut towers and DMS 50mm Gravel Struts, these correct the camber somewhat. For those of you familar with the car it's Barrett's old car prepped by All Wheels Driven. The remainder of the suspension is stock with original worn out bushings.
I've used Super Pro suspension bushings on other cars with great success and thought that would make sense on this car but wanted others opinions and also have a couple questions about bushings and sway bars.

1) What do you think about Super Pro bushings for the control arms etc. Is there something better?

2) I couldn't locate a listing for early Legacy rear bushings for the trailing arm, control arm and diff mounts, will early Impreza parts interchange?

3) What is the best solution for sway bars and end links? I was thinking stock front 18mm bar with new end links (what brand) and a 22mm rear bar with new end links (what brands) I saw other posts about Whiteline sway bars and Super Pro end links, are these good choices?

4) Any other ideas or suggestions?

I'm also looking for basic engine ideas, I'll post over in that section for that. Any help is appreciated.
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Re: Performance Rally suspension upgrade questions

Post by ultrasonic »

toomuch wrote:I have a '91 Turbo Legacy prepped for rally. It is a P/GT car so mostly stock but it does have re-inforced strut towers and DMS 50mm Gravel Struts, these correct the camber somewhat. For those of you familar with the car it's Barrett's old car prepped by All Wheels Driven. The remainder of the suspension is stock with original worn out bushings.
I've used Super Pro suspension bushings on other cars with great success and thought that would make sense on this car but wanted others opinions and also have a couple questions about bushings and sway bars.

1) What do you think about Super Pro bushings for the control arms etc. Is there something better?
I would look into Super Pro, Whiteline, STi. I believe Energy makes a "master set" for Impreza, most of which will fit your Legacy.
toomuch wrote: 2) I couldn't locate a listing for early Legacy rear bushings for the trailing arm, control arm and diff mounts, will early Impreza parts interchange?
See above
toomuch wrote: 3) What is the best solution for sway bars and end links? I was thinking stock front 18mm bar with new end links (what brand) and a 22mm rear bar with new end links (what brands) I saw other posts about Whiteline sway bars and Super Pro end links, are these good choices?
I don't know of any solution other than Whiteline. I'd suggest the adjustable rear bar BSR17XZ, it is equal to a 22mm bar when set at maximum. I believe it comes with upgraded links. I'd say choose the BSF18 (20mm) for the front. Solid endlinks for the '02 WRX can be used in the front.
toomuch wrote: 4) Any other ideas or suggestions?
There is tons of good info in this forum, take some time to read and search. It sounds like you have a good start with a professionally prepped car.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

Replace bushings with energy or whiteline set.

use stock subaru turbo F bar.
use stock subaru turbo R bar.

Learn to drive the car at the limit.

then modify bars.
-Jason Grahn
toomuch
Second Gear

Re: Performance Rally suspension upgrade questions

Post by toomuch »

Good information, thanks.
ultrasonic wrote:
toomuch wrote:I have a '91 Turbo Legacy prepped for rally. It is a P/GT car so mostly stock but it does have re-inforced strut towers and DMS 50mm Gravel Struts, these correct the camber somewhat. For those of you familar with the car it's Barrett's old car prepped by All Wheels Driven. The remainder of the suspension is stock with original worn out bushings.

I would look into Super Pro, Whiteline, STi. I believe Energy makes a "master set" for Impreza, most of which will fit your Legacy.
toomuch wrote: 2) I couldn't locate a listing for early Legacy rear bushings for the trailing arm, control arm and diff mounts, will early Impreza parts interchange?
See above
toomuch wrote: 3) What is the best solution for sway bars and end links? I was thinking stock front 18mm bar with new end links (what brand) and a 22mm rear bar with new end links (what brands) I saw other posts about Whiteline sway bars and Super Pro end links, are these good choices?
I don't know of any solution other than Whiteline. I'd suggest the adjustable rear bar BSR17XZ, it is equal to a 22mm bar when set at maximum. I believe it comes with upgraded links. I'd say choose the BSF18 (20mm) for the front. Solid endlinks for the '02 WRX can be used in the front.
toomuch wrote: 4) Any other ideas or suggestions?
There is tons of good info in this forum, take some time to read and search. It sounds like you have a good start with a professionally prepped car.
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

Keep in mind that it might be better to use the stock bars on gravel, snow, and dirt. Keeping the suspension more independent may provide more traction, depending on your driving style and the conditions.

The stiffer bars would certainly come into play if you were on tarmac. Are there any club rallies on tarmac in the US?
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

yes, there are two, on the east coast.
-Jason Grahn
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

JasonGrahn wrote:yes, there are two, on the east coast.
Cool... thanks Jason. Could you tell me the name of the events?
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

Uhh, off the top of my head, i forget. I know they're both run under NASA Rallysport regulations. www.nasarallysport.com
-Jason Grahn
legacymax
Second Gear

Post by legacymax »

I rallycross my 93 ss a lot also and i was also looking to upgrade my suspension. I am getting AGXs with Group N tophats and installing them with the stock springs.
I have been rallycrossing the car for a while so i have become very comfortable and fimilar with the car. I was thinking about upgrading to the whiteline rear swaybar w/perrin rear endlinks and leaving the stock front in, that way if i don't like the way it feels i can go back to 18mm setting.
I was also wondering about an Antilift kit and possibly sti lateral links. would these be good for a rally application?
What do you all think about this setup.
thanks
-max
94 legacy Silver Touring Wagon now w/ 5spd, Ground Controls, ej20g, rear VLSD, td05, and edms.
95 impreza Rally car. 3.0 H6
88 Toyota fj62 OME lift.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

JasonGrahn wrote:Replace bushings with energy or whiteline set.
Superpro makes Whiteline's bushings.

We've had both in the shop. Only difference is color. Other than that, they are identical. Superpro is less expensive too.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

toomuch - are your plans to continue rallying it?

Echoing what ultrasonic said, a lot of rally guys actually run no bars at all to get the suspension as independent as possible over the rough roads. I assume that only makes sense if you already have a heavy duty, multiadjustable suspension like DMS to make up for the rate you lose when you disconnect the bars.

Damn, what's the tarmac rally in Tennesee? Cherokee Trails maybe? Can't remember.

In general, if you want rally setup advice, your best bet is to ask around a rally forum like special stage. Ask PGT Impreza guys what the best setup is. On this board, just ask what fits. Most of people here aren't experts about the right balance and priorities for rally.
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com