5mt and AWD fuse?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

rotus7
In Neutral

5mt and AWD fuse?

Post by rotus7 »

I was doing a little searching and I have a question...
On a manual transmission with AWD, is there a spot to put a fuse in to make it front wheel drive? I couldn't find it this morning. On my way to school I ran over a block of 4X4 wood dead on and it bent my back rim (2002 WRX rim). Now I have the spare on and it is slightly smaller than the set up I have on there currently. It'll be a few days before I can replace the rim. Will I be putting undue stress on my AWD system driving it this way for a short period of time? Anyone have a spare rim....cheap?
All_talk
Third Gear

Post by All_talk »

No FWD fuse for the 5MT, its AWD all the time. Running the smaller spare will put some stress on your center and rear diff. If the rear diff is an open (non-LSD) it wont do it much harm, but the center will see some slip/heating, you should really try to limit the miles and speed, a little driving around town shouldn't cause any damage.

If you're going to run the WRX wheels/tires you should grab a WRX spare too, should be cheep at the JY.

Gary
No matter how broke I am... I always seem to find two cents.
rotus7
In Neutral

Post by rotus7 »

Thanks for the response. As far as cheap and in a JY...not around here. JY owners think they're selling gold! Plus theres just not that many Subarus much WRX's in this area.
All_talk
Third Gear

Post by All_talk »

You might try pokin around the NASIOC, great place to get WRX hand-me-downs. Maybe post an wanted add in a local forum for the wheel and or spare.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/

Gary
No matter how broke I am... I always seem to find two cents.
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

maybe swap back to some stockers if you have them until you can find the spare WRX wheel. youre best bet for that wheel is definitely nasioc, maybe someone parting out a crashed car will sell you one wheel. otherwise you might have to buy a set.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
rotus7
In Neutral

Post by rotus7 »

I kept my old set of steelies and tires, so I planned on putting them back on tonight afterwork. NASIOC is where I found my first set so I'll be checking there. Thanks guys.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Isn't the Legacy spare tire the same size as the WRX spare tire? I thought I remembered them being the same size, but I might be wrong.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
rotus7
In Neutral

Post by rotus7 »

It may be, I'm really not sure. I don't like the idea of running around on the donut until I can find a replacement. I drive around 75-100 miles a day. I know when I compared the 14" wheel/tire to the 16" wheel/tire the was more than just tread depth so I basing my judgement on the size of the spare to the 14's I took off. Maybe the 14" tires are not the correct size.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

The spare tire in your car is the same size as the stock wheels on the car. I'm fairly certain that Subaru would make sure they are the same size to prevent AWD damage...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I don't know about the turbo legacy, but I can tell you that the n/a legacy spare is smaller in diameter then the WRX spare tire. I bought a WRX spare tire, since the stock spare wouldn't fit over any of the calipers.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
rotus7
In Neutral

Post by rotus7 »

Well, I swapped on the 14" steelies a little bit ago....now I'm gonna cringe everytime I get in the car until I replace the rim. I may send the bent one off to get fixed and keep it as a spare, that is if it doesn't cost too much to fix.