Power antenna and frozen fog/rain

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Power antenna and frozen fog/rain

Post by LaureltheQueen »

So I was taking a friend home a few days ago in like 26 degree weather and very heavy fog, and when I got back, my power antenna wouldn't go down. I investigated, and it turns out I had a thick layer of ice caked around my antenna. I chipped it off and pushed the antenna back down to where it should have been. Will repeated instances of this damage the motor? How the fuck do you people on the east coast and other chilly places deal with this shit.

I absolutely hate when something on my car doesn't work correctly, it makes it look as though subaru's build quality is lower than it really is.
Fishy
First Gear

Post by Fishy »

I'm out on the east coast of Canada and we get more than our fair share of that kind of weather. All I could think of to protect my power antenna was to liberally coat it in lube. I used Rust Check spray but anything like Liquid Wrench or 3-1 Oil would probably work. In my mind this helps on two fronts:
1. lubricated parts move better :cool:
2. oil is harder for ice to form on than bare metal

just my two cents (that's about 1.65 cents american)
94 legacy wagon - ej22T awd
99 legacy wagon - ej22 awd
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

After bending one because it was up in a long drive in freezing rain, I put a small switch in the line from the headunit to the antenna. I like being the one to decide when the antenna's up or not. I can usually find a strong enough station with the antenna down when necessary.

(Early mornings = lots of thought on avoiding run on sentences... I should go back to bed)
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3