Replacing a driveshaft universal joint

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Soobster
First Gear

Replacing a driveshaft universal joint

Post by Soobster »

Subaru has been running great now that I have a rebuilt engine and tranny.

However, about a week after having the new (Subaru Reman.) transmission installed, I noticed a loud vibration coming from under and between the front driver/passenger seats. The noise and vibration occur only when accelerating from a stop and happens most severly when accelerating hard or accelerating up a hill (also turning corners at a stop light seems to make it a bit louder as well). The vibration goes away once the car has a little speed, say 15-20mph.

My thought was that it is a tired/faulty driveline u-joint. I have not been able to find replacement u-joints, however, and a reputable source told me that the driveline has to be replaced in its entirety, that the u-joints are not replaceable as individual parts.

Is this true? Any help/advice thankyou.
1987 VW Westfalia Vanagon - EJ22T Powered
1994 Legacy Touring Wagon
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

Take your shaft out and take it to a drivetrain shop. They can punch out the U-Joints and replace them in about 15 minutes (per U Joint).
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
Soobster
First Gear

Post by Soobster »

That is the plan.

But I want to make sure that I can get replacement u-joints. So far I have not found any aftermarket options. Honestly, though I have not called the dealer yet because their prices on parts are really freaking high.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

It might be the center bearing rather than the U-joint.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

sounds more like a center bearing to me, too.

you can often see that they are shredded by lifting the car and inspecting, and pushing and pulling on the driveshaft.

real bad center bearings often sound like someone is hitting the bottom of the car with a hammer, right under the seats. If its that bad you can see shredded rubber upon inspection
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
Soobster
First Gear

Post by Soobster »

Still confronted with this problem:

Can I replace the center bearing/u-joints individually? So far both my local dealer and a parts store has told me that the WHOLE DRIVELINE HAS TO BE REPLACED!

I find this a little hard to believe though because how the hell would you get the joints installed in the first place? Also the price tag on a new driveline is about $600. Which is freaking rediculous solution for replacing a bad bearing.

I have not looked into the price of a used shaft from the junk-yard, but honestly, I really would rather not put a used drv. shaft into my subaru as a solution.
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

Soobster wrote:Still confronted with this problem:

Can I replace the center bearing/u-joints individually? So far both my local dealer and a parts store has told me that the WHOLE DRIVELINE HAS TO BE REPLACED!

I find this a little hard to believe though because how the hell would you get the joints installed in the first place? Also the price tag on a new driveline is about $600. Which is freaking rediculous solution for replacing a bad bearing.

I have not looked into the price of a used shaft from the junk-yard, but honestly, I really would rather not put a used drv. shaft into my subaru as a solution.
You need to find a place that just does drivetrains. Most U-Joints or center bearings are standard and can be replaced without ordering them specially. I had them replaced on my old GL at a regular drivetrain shop.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

From what I saw on the drivelines....the u-joints do not look like they can be replaced separately.

Maybe a driveline shop with a press and know how can do it, but it's not a do-it-yourself job like the older cars were.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

Legacy777 wrote:Maybe a driveline shop with a press and know how can do it, but it's not a do-it-yourself job like the older cars were.
Oh, no. You need a press and know how. I saw a guy do one..it took him 10-15 minutes..but he used a press and knew how to do it.
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

I don't think they are designed to be repaired, rather they are designed to be replaced. the u-joints are welded to the end of the drive shaft, and it looks like that even if you had a press to press out the pins, that they are tack-welded on both sides.

btw, my front u-joint is a little sticky, so while i have it out of the car (switching out the tranny now parts are ordered) i am putting oil on it every day to try and free it up some.
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
Soobster
First Gear

Post by Soobster »

Interesting news guys.

I still have the problem, it's quite annoying and I want to get it fixed soon.

I have not found a shop yet that sounds like they have done work on these Subaru drivelines, so I haven't gotten it fixed beacuse I don't want it hacked.

But, I have found a friend that is parting out his 1995 Legacy. He will sell me the driveshaft for $50.

I want to know if this driveline from the 1995 Legacy will swap driectly into my 1991 Legacy.

I will be talking with him later to get more info on the car, including vin#, so I'll post more detailed info later.
Chef
In Neutral

Post by Chef »

Later has come... how goes the battle?
92 Legacy LS - AWD Wagon 244 000 km, Swap to Spring/Coil suspension
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

Post by subawhatsubawho »

Inquiring minds want to know..
1991 Legacy BJ L 5MT AWD 189K Paid $100 STOLEN 2/13/06
Soobster
First Gear

Post by Soobster »

Sorry for dragging on the followup.

Here is the scoop.

IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO REPLACE THE U-JOINTS ON OUR DRIVELINES!

The u-joints are PEENED (i think thats how to spell it) into the yokes from both sides. They can be replaced only by machining (drilling) them out and then oversizing the hole. I think this option is probably too expensive anyway. Might as well just go with a new driveline from the dealer for ~ $600-$650.

Myself, I got a good deal from the SubaruSuzKia shop in Ranco Cordova CA on a used driveline for $120. So even though I really didn't want to install a used driveline, my poor dictated my decision. And I really had to do something, because I was afraid that the joint was going to simply snap and that is scary shit. I had that happen on a previous vehicle and I was very lucky that the truck stayed on all fours.

Upon removing the old driveline, it was obvious that the front u-joint was completely dead. This was good news and bad news. Good news because I had found the problem and was going to get it fixed, but bad new because I just paid for a brand new transmission, installed by a local independent Subaru shop, that did not bring this problem to my attention when they installed the new transmission. That is irresponsible in my opinion. If a customer drops $4000 on an install, you should do everything you can to protect that investment. I can bet that the front u-joint needed replacing then and that would have been the best time to replace it.

Anyway.....

I got the used driveline installed and the problem is solved. I'm just hoping that I did not do any serious damage to my new tranny. Not like it matters that much at this point anyway, I'm just pissed.
MikeC5
First Gear

Post by MikeC5 »

I'm glad to hear you got it fixed for a reasonable cost. I'm still very surprised that Subaru makes these without thought to replacing the u-joint. The only thing I can figure is that failure must be quite rare due to the fact that there is very little relative motion between the hard mounted transmission and rear differential (unlike a solid rear axle where the u-joint angles change with suspension movement). Still, even though the u-joint cups are peened in, if replacements were available I'm sure it could be done.

How unusual are u-joint problems with these cars?
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

[quote="Soobster"]Sorry for dragging on the followup.

Here is the scoop.

IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO REPLACE THE U-JOINTS ON OUR DRIVELINES!

The u-joints are PEENED (i think thats how to spell it) into the yokes from both sides. They can be replaced only by machining (drilling) them out and then oversizing the hole. I think this option is probably too expensive anyway. Might as well just go with a new driveline from the dealer for ~ $600-$650.

like i said above......
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k