In cabin Air Filter - Air conditioning smells

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

alpineraven
In Neutral

In cabin Air Filter - Air conditioning smells

Post by alpineraven »

Hey fellas,
In my Liberty (well you guys call it Legacy) I have 2 problems, whenever I stop using air conditioning
-> on a humid day - the mist goes all over the windscreen - really annoying!
-> When I turn it off once its cool enough, it has really terrible smell, smells like really wet dog a little while from a dirty river!! Image the smell I have to put up with it....

Now, I have 1995 Liberty here 2nd Generation model (same model as from 1994 - 1998 here in Australia.

DO THEY have an air filter in them that Might need cleaning out that might solve the odour smell?? Can you tell me how and if you have any links or pictures would be fabulous... I really want to solve the problem, if not I'm prepared.. oh... now I cannot be bothered is to pull out the whole dash out to give it a damn good clean!

Thanks guys..
Cheers
AP
Owns 1995 Liberty "Rallye" Sedan - NA 5MT AWD EJ22
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I don't think the 2nd gen legacies had air filters yet. I think the 3rd gen were when they were introduced.

As for the stink, read this
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... deodorizer
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

I think your problem may be related to the drains being plugged on the evaporator case. You should see little pudles forming under the car whe the AC is on. Even if you do the drains may be partially blocked, allowing water to stay in and then causing foul mold to build up.

If you clear the drains and also use the deodorizing ideas from the thread above, it should be improved a lot. if not, removing and cleaning the evaporator may be the only course.
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car