Yarrgh. Something is squeaking, and I don't know what.

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

YarPirate
In Neutral

Yarrgh. Something is squeaking, and I don't know what.

Post by YarPirate »

When I drive a good distance (10+ miles) in my 93 Sedan at above 60 mph, then slow down to 20-30 mph (example, going from long stretch of highway to city), something starts squeaking on my car. It doesn't occur when I press on the brake, only when the brake is disengaged. Pressing on the brake actually quiets the sound (both the e-brake and the regular brakes). I checked to see if the warning tabs were at the point where they would be the cause, but my pads weren't worn to that point. Any suggestions?
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

Mine did the same from the right rear when I got it, pads were only half worn. The noise would stop the instant I touched the brakes. I did a complete brake job and the noise went away

It must have been something embedded into the pads, or just crappy pads vibrating and singing
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I bet it's pad vibration. Happened before I did the brakes on the Legacy. Now it squeals from aggressive pads.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
YarPirate
In Neutral

Post by YarPirate »

So just get new brake pads?
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

yes new pads and coat liberally on the backs of the pads or shims with the blue or red anti-squeal goo.

also check the condition of the rotors while you're at it, and grease the slider pins with lithium grease, and bleed calipers as well. It might have been a while since someone did maintenance so best to let out a lot of fluid until clean
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car