Center Differential Testing for damage?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

MikeC5
First Gear

Center Differential Testing for damage?

Post by MikeC5 »

I've been reading through the many posts on the subject of tire circumfence differences and the possible ill effects on the center diff. I have a 95 Legacy MT which has 140K miles from the previous owner. I would like to know if there is a relatively simple way to test the center diff. I understand that if it gets abused, at some point the viscous goo breaks down and is not able to transmit torque to the rear wheels. Is this correct?
MikeC5
First Gear

Post by MikeC5 »

I've done a lot of searching on this subject and am suprised to learn that very little information is published on these center diffs at all. Is there anyplace other than Subaru who sells replacements? I found a site on the VW Vanagon AWD system which uses a viscous coupling (but also has a manual locking ability). They quote a 6% rotational speed difference between front and rear driveshaft before the visco goo begins to heat up and transmit power. I was able to do a very unscientific test of my AWD system this weekend though; in packed down snow, I mashed it in 1st gear and observers (not in the car) said both front and rear wheels appeared to be spinning at the same rate....
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

No, you really need to get the viscous coupling from subaru.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

For a viscous unit, stock is the only good way to go. There are aftermarket solutions, but no viscous units that I know of.

As for knowing if it's blown? I wouldn't worry about it. I'd be surprised if a 95 MT wagon would be able to put the stress necessary to break down the viscous "juice". I'd imagine you'd be fine.

If you notice that you can break the front wheels loose very easily, then you might have reason to believe that something is wrong.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

Post by bmxkelowna »

BAC5.2 wrote:If you notice that you can break the front wheels loose very easily, then you might have reason to believe that something is wrong.
this is the problem i am having with my 92 ss
the fronts seem to spin really easy in snow or in rain and it does not feal like the back is doing much of any thing
MikeC5
First Gear

Post by MikeC5 »

True, the wagon doesn't have a lot of power. I was more worried about the previous owner doing something stupid like different sized tires, running with the spare too long, etc. The 4 wheel spin test on a slippery surface is at least some piece of mind that things are working as they should.