Horsepower gains

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

92BlackBeauty
First Gear

Horsepower gains

Post by 92BlackBeauty »

So what kind of horsepower gains could be expected on my 92 SS if I swap a tdo5h-16g onto it, properly clocked, with a FMIC, and full 3" exhaust with an MBC and an FCD?
Would this be suitable to put me up in the 250-260hp at the wheels range?

Also, what psi is the 16g efficient to? I know several members are running this exact setup, and I would love to hear what they have to say about driveability and off the line power, as well as top end boost.
92 SS--up and running finally!!
(edited for Jason Grahns pleasure)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You need engine management, larger injectors, and JECS MAF sensor to really be able to properly utilize that setup.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

Sounds almost exactly like my old setup. I had the deadbolt 16G and it was very smooth. I remember when i first installed the front mount, turned up the boost and stepped on it. It's very nice, I was a little scared to get on it for a while. I was running stock injectors and stock ecu also at the time. As for off the line, it was murder. There was a lot of power just by launching at 3k rpm.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

see theres only one problem with the question posed.

the only peson who has dynoed that setup is phil, and it wasnt exactly like you describe. my setup is exactly how you describe. but i have never been dynoed
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

my old setup was exactly that except for 4.11 transmission and other mods and i never dynoed it.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
92BlackBeauty
First Gear

Post by 92BlackBeauty »

Well Jason, all I'm really looking for is if this setup will run safely and be reliable, and just looking to see if this is worth doing, and if there is a noticeable increase in power, as I don't ever get trak time, and it would mostly be for night racing meets where the top cars are turbo eclipses and a few integras that think they own the streets.
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

Please dont street race.

Even in my small city of 300,000 we have track days where you can prove who has the bigger pistons.
98 Steel Widebody RSTi-RA Superbeast
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

your going to need what Legacy777 + a 6mt so you can crunch as fast gears like those cars you listed.
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

The 6-speed sucks for drag racing.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
ferrari494
Second Gear

Post by ferrari494 »

no way, i want the 7 speeds that they have in the fast and the furious...
'93 Subaru Legacy Turbo Sedan, 5mt
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I want the 10-speeds they'd have been better off riding!

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

92BlackBeauty wrote:Well Jason, all I'm really looking for is if this setup will run safely and be reliable, and just looking to see if this is worth doing, and if there is a noticeable increase in power, as I don't ever get trak time, and it would mostly be for night racing meets where the top cars are turbo eclipses and a few integras that think they own the streets.
mostly because they do. dont try to fuck with dsm's as they make gobs of power on little modification. and unless you have a manual you dont even stand a chance. imo of course.
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

How about a CVT :D
98 Steel Widebody RSTi-RA Superbeast
92BlackBeauty
First Gear

Post by 92BlackBeauty »

I am definitely rolling a standard, and word is that the stock tranny is pretty tough. The DSM cars here aren't really too heavily modified, honestly you would be pressed to find a front mount intercooler on one of them. I'm positive that I could pull faster quarters than those fools.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

the legacy turbo 5mt is strong but it does not let you change gears as fast as the dsm's.

first to second is a bitch, if you really want when i race these dsm's i start in second gear and burn my clutch.

i ONLY do this when i see a real fast dsm's, fast as in he peels out in a awd from the hole
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

I gotta side with the other guys here... DSMs are no joke, they can find themselfs dipping into the 12s with mostly home depot mods and a good driver.

for the rest of you guys, you never ran in the 1/4? 1/4 mile trap speed is a pretty good way to estimate horsepower. Since most people run without a spare and only 1/4 tank of gas, that pretty much makes up for driver weight so you can use the published curb weight for the calculation. I've done this, then strapped to a dyno a few times and have never been off more than about 10 horsepower.
- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

92BlackBeauty wrote:I am definitely rolling a standard, and word is that the stock tranny is pretty tough. The DSM cars here aren't really too heavily modified, honestly you would be pressed to find a front mount intercooler on one of them. I'm positive that I could pull faster quarters than those fools.
Who's word? Myself, Matt, and Vikash have all blown our transmissions recently.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

bahahaha suckers.

j/k
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
92BlackBeauty
First Gear

Post by 92BlackBeauty »

Wow, then I guess the DSM's will rule until I get back from the rigs.
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

BAC5.2 wrote:
92BlackBeauty wrote:I am definitely rolling a standard, and word is that the stock tranny is pretty tough. The DSM cars here aren't really too heavily modified, honestly you would be pressed to find a front mount intercooler on one of them. I'm positive that I could pull faster quarters than those fools.
Who's word? Myself, Matt, and Vikash have all blown our transmissions recently.
just replaced mine too.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

wow all these broken trannys brings me way back in time, im telling you guys make sure you put in basic gear oil 80w90. change it 2 or 3 times a year and it will last for ever, even if your makeing more power.

dont use sythetic rally crap addtives or what ever there is out there that thinks it will HELP out no no no no no, 80w90 basic gear oil thats it.

i have 400,000kms on the tranny with useing basic factory spec gear oil, and you all no i am makeing huge power.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

wow all these broken trannys brings me way back in time, im telling you guys make sure you put in basic gear oil 80w90. change it 2 or 3 times a year and it will last for ever, even if your makeing more power.

dont use sythetic rally crap addtives or what ever there is out there that thinks it will HELP out no no no no no, 80w90 basic gear oil thats it.

i have 400,000kms on the tranny with useing basic factory spec gear oil it hasent broken yet, and you all no i am makeing huge power.
Psychoreo
Second Gear

Post by Psychoreo »

^ nico's car is so hot.

you won't hit 250-260 without more fuel and better EM, and a propper tune of course.
stupid electrical work...
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

Psychoreo wrote:^ nico's car is so hot.
thank you sirrrrrrrrrrrr.
92BlackBeauty
First Gear

Post by 92BlackBeauty »

Yes Nico I believe it was a picture of your red legacy with the massive front mount that made me choose to buy a legacy in the first place. For those of you running exactly the setup I described, with no engine management or beefed up injectors, how does it run? Is it worth the money and effort spent in terms of power increase?