Need rear pads & rotors

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

tonflo
First Gear

Need rear pads & rotors

Post by tonflo »

I need to do my rear brake pads & rotors soon. Where is a good place to get quality ones (aftermarket) or original Subie ones? Which brand(s)? I seem to remember the rear pads running around $50 from Liberty Subaru. I don't want cheapie rotors and brake pads that wear out in 10K miles while making 4lbs of dust/day.

Also, are there any special tricks or concerns to getting the rear rotors off and back on over the emerg. brake shoes? Just unbolt caliper mounting brackets & pull? Anything else I should look at while I'm back there?

TIA
'94 Legacy Touring wagon. Quicksilver metallic. WRX rims, Whiteline ALK, SS brakelines, GR2s, alum. coolant tank. Gone, but not forgotten

'99 NSX, Alex Zanardi edition, #11/50. All stock & red 2 go

'05 Corolla XRS
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

no tricks, just don't set the e-brake ;)

Take off the caliper bracket.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

No dust, more than 10k miles, I'd go with stock. Also, why do you need rotors? Beyond minimum spec?
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

Pads are an easy job, one which should cost you maybe 35 bucks. Just remove the wheel, us a 10 or 11mm socket to undo the bolt that holds the caliber down and rotate it up towards the front of the car. Pound out the old brakes, push the piston back with a c clamp (make sure you undo the top of the brake fluid reservoir), put the new brake pads on, put the bolt back in and boom, you're done.

For the caliber, same procedure, only to remove the caliber, there are two 12 or 13 mm bolts holding the caliber to the hub. Remove those two with a ratchet and pull the disc off, it's that simple.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
tonflo
First Gear

Post by tonflo »

The pad changing I can do with 1 hand, just wanted to make sure there are no surprises for getting the caliper bracket & rotor off, especially since I've never dealt with drum in disc emergency brakes before. Rotors are originals with 100K on them & some minor grooving, figure it's time for new ones. What is minimum thickness anyway? And who has good stuff at a good price?
'94 Legacy Touring wagon. Quicksilver metallic. WRX rims, Whiteline ALK, SS brakelines, GR2s, alum. coolant tank. Gone, but not forgotten

'05 Corolla XRS
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Turbos are 16mm. It says on the backside of the rotor. I'd measure them first, and see if ou can turn them, as that's a large chunk of change you would save.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
rad rex
First Gear

Post by rad rex »

Just don't forget to release the e-brake. First time changing out the rotors and pads on this (or any car) with a friend's help. We were smacking the old rotor with a hammer trying to break it loose.

"are we forgetting anything??"
"nope, it should just slide off"
"Should the e-brake be off? that might make a difference"
"D'OHT!!!"

I used rotors and pads from autozone, $100 for everything. The pads went in a little tight. If I can do it, anybody can
tonflo
First Gear

Post by tonflo »

By eyeballing with a ruler, the outer rusty edge is about 17mm so turning it down would probably get below 16mm. I gues it's time for new ones. What's the going rate?

'05 Corolla XRS