Ej22t Pinout Questions (for ecu swap in ej18)

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

my3awds
First Gear

Ej22t Pinout Questions (for ecu swap in ej18)

Post by my3awds »

(Thanks of course go to vrg3 for the diagrams used!)

(Keynote: I'm primarily looking for what the 1.8 ecu equivalant would be for "Idle Switch", "Trouble Code Output", "TI Monitor", and "Select Monitor RX/TX" from the 2.2t ecu. If no one knows the rest, I will try and hardwire the other unknowns.)

Sorry for the long post. I am planning on hacking my 93 Impreza ecu plug ends to wire in a 92 Legacy turbo ecu harness. I currently have an ej22t in my Imp. I know only a couple of people that have done this (one including Natoe) and I hope to get some insight. Once I get all of this documented and completed, I hope to throw up a website on the entire process from engine swap to wire swap to share with anyone else who may be interested in doing this. Sort of an FAQ.

NOW for my questions. At the bottom of this post, I have a diagram of pins from the 1.8ECU harness to route to the 2.2t pigtails. Everything is pretty much straight forward to me except for the following:

The YELLOW highlights are the ones I cannot find equivalants for on the 1.8 ecu. Things such as the "TI Monitor", "Pressure Exchange Solenoid", and "Trouble Code Output" doesn't seem to have relivence on the 1.8. Other things such as the "Idle switch", MAF sensor 5, "Throttle Position Sensor Shield" will have to be hard wired, correct?

The LIGHT BLUE highlights seem to be duplicates. "Radiator Fan Control" only appears once on the ej22t ecu, but on the 1.8 there are 2 seperate relays for each fan. I'm imagining just splice the 2 together? "Select Monitor RX & TX" are seperated specifically. Does this monitor matter? There are also duplicate "Power Supply" and "Control System Ground" wires on the ej22t, while the ej18 only has 1 set...

Lastly the ORANGE highlights are grounds and shields that lead to the same wire on the 1.8 (all seem to go to the same "Sensor Ground"). Is that the correct way of wiring it? I'm thinking I should just hardwire these directly to the sensors, then just route the "Sensor Ground" wire to the same location on the ecu.

I have the DIODE mod in there correctly I believe (to properly shut down the ecu). I also noted Natoe's IAC correctiong by switching the ground and signal wire. Any additional help is definetly appreciated.

Excel Version:
http://www.sacramento-dsm.com/w.xls

Picture Version:
http://www.sacramento-dsm.com/w.gif
Subaru Impreza Ver6 replica with Ver4 Type R motorset.

Mitsubishi Evolution 4 replica with Evo4 GSR motorset.
my3awds
First Gear

Post by my3awds »

Maybe This should be moved to the electrical section. But the lack of responses from people that have done this before (Matt, Natoe, etc) tells me its harder then just swapping wires. So I'll start a new post about the greddy emanage? All I really need is to be able to control timing AND view it. The car runs very well closed loop on my 1.8 ecu and safc. Still leave this open for tips or suggestions.

not8player
First Gear

Post by not8player »

I am doing the same thing except that the ej22t is going into a 95 1.8l Impreza. Just started to look at the wiring options and I am looking at finding a solution which will allow me to revert back to the ej18 with minimal changes. I have a similar excel sheet. If you would like I’ll email you what I have so far. Hopefully later today I’ll get a chance to look over your notes and compare.
my3awds
First Gear

Post by my3awds »

Oh sweet man. Yeah I had this idea. Natoe was able to hack at his harness and put the ej22t ecu plugs on it. After many months of headache he got it to work beautifully (supposedly). So what I would like to do is if we figure this thing out, I'm just going to tap into the existing 1.8 plugs instead of hacking it off. That way, I can always revert back to the 1.8 ecu if something isnt working right with the 2.2t. Sounds feasable, right?

I'd be very interested on what you got so far. Please email me at manny_dial@yahoo.com. I'm always on AIM as well ( mygst95 ) and yahoo msger ( manny_dial ).

Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

im going to be doing this in a few months. if you guys could post up all that you know, that would be great. :-D im still working on getting all the pieces needed, and building the motor. i have no clue as to how to do the wiring though... :( so any help would be appreciated. thanks! :D
00 5MT AWD 2.5 RS - New Project
not8player
First Gear

Post by not8player »

I emailed some files to my3awds, when he gets chance he will integrate them and post them on the board or on vfaq page he will create
not8player
First Gear

Post by not8player »

I am trying to get a hold of a ej18 ecu, if anyone has one for cheap. please let me know
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

Just noticed this thread. There is no easy way to do this. You can't just cut off the connectors and replace with Ej22 connectors and make it run. There are emissions related items on the Ej18 that are not used on the Ej22T, and there are some things on the Ej22T that aren't on the Ej18. And of course, you need to add all the wiring for the turbo. Furthermore, the Impreza plugs into the back of the engine through the firewall, and the legacy plugs in over by the battery.

Personally, if I were to do this again, I would pull a complete Ej22T legacy harness into the Impreza and change any connectors on the chassis side that might need to be changed...
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
not8player
First Gear

Post by not8player »

I have bee working out the wiring by using the Factory Service Manual diagrams. I haven’t had a chance to stop by my garage to check the ej22t harness. Can someone open there engine bay (legacy) and take a quick look.
According the ej22t legacy FSM the following sensor (Cam angle sensor, Crank angle sensor, Knock sensor) are wired directly to the ecu without any intermediate connectors ( in other word they are not part of the engine intake harness with the three plugs on the driver side by the fuse box). Which I would had expected them to be.

Please refer to section 6-3 page 24
http://main.experiencetherave.com:8080/ ... ectrical)/
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

They don't hard wire to the ECU. They have invidual connectors on the back bell housing of the motor that feeds to a shared harness that comes through the firewall. That harness feeds straight to the ECU...
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
not8player
First Gear

Post by not8player »

Thank you, that makes sense would had been nice for the FSM to depict that, I wonder what else the FSM omits.
not8player
First Gear

Post by not8player »

Matt Monson wrote: Personally, if I were to do this again, I would pull a complete Ej22T legacy harness into the Impreza and change any connectors on the chassis side that might need to be changed...
I would like to find a clean solution, where i can revert back to the ej18 without mayor rewiring. So I am exploring the possibility of making a daughter/slave harness.

ej22t ecu <-ecu adapter-> impreza ecu plugs
ej22t ecu<-> original ej22t wires to passenger side engine bay

And probably use a modified ej18 engine harness (harness around the intake manifold)

Just keep in mind that I just started looking at it and I might end up with the same conclusion.

Matt, can you give me a description of how you did your wiring, and what were the pitfalls?
my3awds
First Gear

Post by my3awds »

Leaving the ej18 emmission sensors and their harness in place wouldnt be much of a problem, nor would leaving and running the turbo related wires from the ej22t ecu to their perspective places, I would think.

I personally just wanted to tap into the ej18 harness with the ej22t pigtails, and run the additional turbo stuff to the engine bay. This way I'll have both plugs if I ever need to swtich back or troubleshoot.

It wouldnt be any different with the current emmission sensors on my ej22t engine swap anyway. Only their harness is connected, and not the vacuum lines routed. I get no CEL's this way, and the car runs great. Also, the ej22t doesn't have an EGR valve anyway.

On a side note, we just purchased the webname GC8VFAQ.com and we'll be making similar to the dsm site www.vfaq.com/index-main.html . This should provide useful for anyone interested in doing this AND anyone who needs to troubleshoot their Subi.

my3awds
First Gear

Post by my3awds »

Hmm, i guess the nameservers aren't working just yet on the gc8vfaq.com. For those that want to see the progress as it comes along, you can view it at http://gc8vfaq.sacramento-dsm.com in the mean time. Also if you have any information you'd like added and credited for, I will gladly add it to the site.

Manny~

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

not8player wrote:Thank you, that makes sense would had been nice for the FSM to depict that, I wonder what else the FSM omits.
The more you look at the FSM, and the actual wiring, the more descrepencies you find. Do not take the FSM as gospel, it has been wrong on numerous occasions, so always try and check the wiring to what's in the car, or with someone else that may have done similar work.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

Legacy777 wrote:
not8player wrote:Thank you, that makes sense would had been nice for the FSM to depict that, I wonder what else the FSM omits.
The more you look at the FSM, and the actual wiring, the more descrepencies you find. Do not take the FSM as gospel, it has been wrong on numerous occasions, so always try and check the wiring to what's in the car, or with someone else that may have done similar work.
As Az2nr seems to be discovering. See his thread a few threads down. He's struggling with the harness I merged for him and can't trouble shoot because I am 500 miles away.

The FSM doesn't show the right pinouts for the grounds and power that go to the 3rd engine connector (the rectangular black one). I had to trace the wires back and do my best to make them work in the right circuits. It appears I switched two wires since his car won't start and is doing all kinds of strange electrical things...

I am not an "I told you so" sort of guy. But unless less you are an EE or a wiring genuis, I just don't see how in dog's name you can possibly make a convertible plug and play harness to go back and forth. But suit yourself. Keep looking at the diagrams, but it won't become really clear until you start working with the harnesses. Look at things like injector power and igntion power or the coil pack and how they route through the two cars. Or how the Ej22T OBD stuff has a couple of extra wires that the Ej18 doesn't. etc. etc...
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
mr soul
Second Gear

Post by mr soul »

Matt Monson wrote:Just noticed this thread. There is no easy way to do this. You can't just cut off the connectors and replace with Ej22 connectors and make it run. There are emissions related items on the Ej18 that are not used on the Ej22T, and there are some things on the Ej22T that aren't on the Ej18. And of course, you need to add all the wiring for the turbo. Furthermore, the Impreza plugs into the back of the engine through the firewall, and the legacy plugs in over by the battery.

Personally, if I were to do this again, I would pull a complete Ej22T legacy harness into the Impreza and change any connectors on the chassis side that might need to be changed...
This is how we did a conversion for a customer. I don't see any way to make this conversion easy to revert back to 1.8, and honestly why would you want too?

The physical location differences of the 1.8 ECU in the impreza and the under dash location in the legacy create headaches while splicing the chassi harness to the turbo ECU. We opted to create a mount for the turbo ECU to retain its intended location and had to extend the required impreza chassis harness wires to reach this.

Conversions are difficult, anybody who tells a different story either hasn't done one, or I would like to HIRE because they are a talented genious)

Sorry I can't provide technical answers to your questions you started this thread about, (that is why I have a partner to get things done) but I wanted to share what I do know about this kind of project.

I think you are heading the long difficult way with your project trying to get the turbo ECU involved. If you want simple, I'd suggest pursing piggyback options which allow tuning on your turbo setup in the NA ECU world. Further, if you take the difficult route doing a conversion like we did, you end up with essentually a stock legacy turbo. Have a look at all the writing on here trying to go over 12 psi with a legacy turbo. Unless your are Nico, figuring out the management becomes the issue all over again, so why not just go with the more simple install and figure out how to tune your NA ECU... just my thoughts.
Retired but still rocking a 98 Coupe with the heart of a turbo legacy :)
my3awds
First Gear

Post by my3awds »

Yeah the original reason why I wanted to run the ej22t ecu was because of the fuel maps it comes with. I could run the car without the need to tune much on a stock setup. Simple and reylable. But this is becoming as you've said far from simple.

My second choice was to do as you suggested and run a piggy back. I'm currently under research on a timing piggyback that will allow me to turn down timing at WOT AND monitor it. If I can find such a thing thats affordable, then I suppose I wouldn't really need to do this ECU swap. So far I've found the emanage and PP6, but I'm not sure if you can monitor timing with either. It's too bad vrg3's scantool doesn't work on obd1 imprezas. We'd be SET on this swap! Thanks for the input.

mr soul
Second Gear

Post by mr soul »

we purchased some split second devices a while back but have not used them yet. They are simple and affordable, not recommending them, but making you aware of another potential option. Nice guys, and knowledgable, but no experience on Subaru's. You could be the test subject? :twisted:

http://www.splitsec.com/
Retired but still rocking a 98 Coupe with the heart of a turbo legacy :)
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

omg it does sound like a headache.....

makes me want to not throw in a turbo block, and run a ej25/ej22 hybrid instead...
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

Contact BMXpunk. He started on this project and bailed. He sold his harness to NATOE. Now he runs his 1.8l ECU with a PP and an Ej22T swap. He also runs a TD04 and WRX intercooler.

That '95 coupe in my signature will be getting it's Ej25 swap and supercharger in the next 10 days. I too, will be using a PP.

The fact of the matter is you do not need to reinvent the wheel. For years and years, guys ran Ej18's with turbos on them using just a RRFPR, AFC and ITC for EM. Now with the Emanage and PP available, there is ZERO reason to mess aroung with the wiring in doing a swap onto an EJ18 powered car...
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

what kind of wiring would be needed, to use one of those EM's? would i have to wire anything differently into the 1.8 ECU from the engine harness? or would i use a 1.8 engine harness? sorry, total noob on wiring things up. :(

the EM's seem to be the easiest solution, so i guess i will be going that route. what EM would be the better solution? i hear both are pretty good..... i plan on only making between 200-250 crank hp on there anyway... for now. :twisted:

EDIT: the perfect power smt6 says there is only 6 wires to connect.... that seems pretty easy.
my3awds
First Gear

Post by my3awds »

Perfect Power 6 would be the way to go if you don't already have an safc or itc, since it will have both features. Emanage I've found only controls openloop timing. But all this won't matter if you don't have some way of monitoring your air:fuel adjustments.

I just wish they would sell a device that allowed both monitoring and adjustment of timing, without paying for a standalone. Legacy turbo ecu's have got it sweet since they have that free scantool that vgr3 was nice enough to create.

Matt, do you have an idea of about how much timing an N/A 1.8 or 2.5 see's at the top of the rpm range? If I can get at least a general number, then I will have a better idea of how much timing to pull with an itc. I have a feeling its somewhere in the 40+ range, and if that's so, the itc might not be enough to pull timing at 6k.

Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

ITC = ignition timing control?

anyway, yea i dont have anything for the car yet, but i know i will need that air/fuel gauge for sure. i think i am leaning towards the perfect power.

the emanage looks so complicated. you have to buy all the extra accessory wires, if you want to have "ITC" and i think fuel control too. although, i think if one can get everything for the emanage, they would have great control of the ECU. just my opinion.
not8player
First Gear

Post by not8player »

Just confirmed that the odb1 Honda ecu use the same connectors as the impreza ej18 ecu. Thought I should share this since I haven’t seen it mentioned before on any of the Subaru forums I visit. When I get a change I’ll take some picture and post them.

Thought this was an interesting fact for anyone looking to install a fuel computer and doesn’t want to hack there wiring, you can pickup a Plug & Play Harnesses for a Honda modify it slightly.