pictures of the STi exhaust on 92 SS, HOW TO, flange, hanger

Show us your Legacy pictures and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

pictures of the STi exhaust on 92 SS, HOW TO, flange, hanger

Post by Bheinen74 »

So, today I took off the original rusty muffler, and measured, modified the STi exhaust. Here is a breakdown and some pictures on the link. This did not require any new muffler hangers or rubber holders.

pictures link:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bheinen/d ... pg&.src=ph

Basically, keep the current oem midpipe on the car. Remove old muffler. Cut off 3.5" section of the very front of the old muffler pipe keeping the flange attached to this pipe. This pipe will be the 3 1/4" extension. You need to buy another solid flange (i got my special order at napa) for the end and this flange needs to be welded to the old 3.5" section that already has flange on one end. the flange i got was able to go over the pipe, and welded, then ground flush, see measurement -----------> note here.....:

***For the 3 1/4" extension flange, that measurement is flange to flange, outer measure.

On the STi muffler, cut off the back outer driver side muffler hanger so it can be shortenend and then butt welded back Cut the hanger where it is the straight part.. See my picture for the butt weld details.. It needs to run parallel the hanger on the right passenger side. The passenger hanger is PERFECT as is, no need to change or even to bend.

The old OEM center hanger needs be torched off the old pipe and keep the hanger in one piece. On the new STi muffler, hacksaw off the hanger and throw that hanger away. Have an exhaust shop weld on the old hanger to the new STi muffler. Have them weld it to what remains of the old weld bracket. Weld to the old hanger piece only, no holes into the pipe that way. The dimension for the hanger placement is 8 3/4" from right above the inlet pipe, back of can to center of the exhaust hanger. It needs to be slightly higher than the 2 back hangers. (when installing, have to push up to reach hanger on body, and there should be around 2" between pipe and axle stub.

good luck, mine fit perfect the first time. I took all the stuff in to the welder, and when i returned it to my car, it all went on perfedt, good measurements are key.

please post comments in this thread.

The flange was like 5 or 6 bucks at napa, the 2 new flange gaskets 2 bucks each. The welder charged me 25 bucks for the torching/welding. I did the hacksawing and measuring myself, with Dad's help installing.
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Nice write-up!

Looks good!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

hmm, I'm planning on making an adapter flange for an sti muffler, but it will be a 3" to 2.5" instead of the stock legacy dameter.

I think I might make my muffle sit a little farther in so the exhaust tip doesnt stick out so much, but I dont know, thats a lot of welding and it may not look so hot. I love the look of the STI muffler, theres that little bit of bling but still sleeperish at the same time. Its quiet enough to not draw too much attention but it gives a good burble to.
1992 T-Leg = 195whp 197wtq SOLD :(
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

3 1/4" length extension.

The inner diameter is 2.5 for Turbo and for STi.

the STi exhaust sound is quiet. sounds good, no rice.
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

Post by gt2.5turbo »

holy camera flash i have a headache now from teh brightness....

looks cool though
93 White Legacy Turbo Wagon: For Sale-ish
93 White Turbo Sedan: soon with a little more umf
91, funky brown purple gray color, legacy L Wagon: the "its so cheap i cant not pass it up" purchase to get me around when the others are down
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Awesome. What was the total cost on this mod. Depending on the cost of the STI takeoff it had to be cheap... :!:
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

bump because i should have found this a long time ago.

good write up.

should be inthe exhaust section.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

i liked doggy haircut better, but good writeup nonetheless.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
NuclearBacon
Second Gear

Post by NuclearBacon »

can you relink the pictures? i see a bunch of pics...but not sure which go to this thread....

awesome write up and bumpity bump for an old post!
-Luigi-
....Yes like nintendo
1987 GL10 Sedan 3.700 LSD
1988 XT6 FT4WD 3.900 Diff Lock
1992 EJ22T Touring Wagon 5MT Swap 4.111