E22T turbo... What is it's specs.

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jedz123
In Neutral

E22T turbo... What is it's specs.

Post by jedz123 »

Hey Guys I have some quick questions about the EJ22T Turbro It self. I know it's an IHI Turbo but what Is it's max boost and spool speed? Next question is What will fit on top of the exaust manifold for a replacement. Just so you know I have just purchased an Exaust manifold and up pipe from a vendor and will need to be sourcing a turbo to fit on top of it. I would like to know some info on the stocker EJ22T Turbo. Thanks....If there is a forum already just tell me and I'll look at that thread.
Thanks again!
94 Legacy L FWD 5-speed 210k miles
Traded the 92 Loyale for:
92 Legacy L AWD 5-speed 250K miles, Parts Car
92 SVX 4EAT AWD Weekend Driver...OH YES!
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Well, here is a very useful thread with links to scans of full service manuals and such.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=14485

In this manual, on the very last page, is the compressor map for our stock VF11 turbos. That should answer your questions:

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8 ... Wiring.zip

Hope this helps!
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
jedz123
In Neutral

Post by jedz123 »

Thanks so much Chris! I've been catching up on alot of info of the EJ22! But It doesn't answer the question on what is interchangable on that up pipe. Can I fit Wrx turbo's on that up pipe or is it strictly the IHI EJ22T turbo? Has anyone done turbo swaps? My goal is for a consistant 15psi and I would like to source a turbo that would be adequate for that job. Thanks again Chris but I would like to explore ALL options for a turbocharger for my project. Thanks guys
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Well, if a reliable 15psi is all you're looking for, pick up a 87-88 Ford Thunderbird Coupe turbocharger (Warner-ISHI / IHI VC32) and you can completely swap the compressor side over to your VF11. It's a nice cheap hybrid and I run 16-17 psi all day (intercooled, of course) with no issues.

Plenty of Subaru IHI turbos fit our cars, although there are slight differences that might not match exactly with the intake tract. But the majority of them match with our exhaust piping, so you can do pretty much whatever you want there.

The most sought-after turbo to swap in is the TD05-16G (Subaru version, of course). There are a few versions of that turbo that have the 90-degree inlet bend on the compressor, these are the easiest to swap in. Deadbolt works with these turbos and has a large variety of options for us, as well as some photos that might help your search:

http://www.boostplanet.com/product2.htm
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
jedz123
In Neutral

Post by jedz123 »

Thanks dude You've been such a help! I'm not going to be buying the turbo this week but next week is my planned purchasing date. I'll start looking around for some IHI turbos. Just so you know this Project I'm doing is the most extensive project I've ever done. I KNow that some modification is going to be needed...I just want to do as little as possible :lol: . So thanks for the Info!
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

You're turbo-ing your 94 fwd?
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
jedz123
In Neutral

Post by jedz123 »

Yup! I want as much power to the tires as possible. NO thanks for AWD.
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

You're welcome, glad to assist. I didn't realize you aren't starting with a turbo Legacy -- so you'd have to go get the Ford turbo and a stock Legacy VF11 turbo if you wanted to make that hybrid.

But if you find a Subaru 16G for a good price, nab that sumbitch. Even without the 90 degree inlet angle, that can be taken care of with a silicon elbow anyway. Just don't run much boost. On a nonturbo engine with the smaller injectors, open-deck design, and higher compression ratio, it just isn't going to hold the kind of boost the turbo models can.

Actually, because you're not working with a stock turbo engine, you might just want to pick up one of the many cheap stock VF11 turbos hanging around this board, you can usually get em for under $100 and it will probably be good for all the boost your engine can handle without serious engine management. Have you read the posts by Douglas Vincent on his supercharged Legacy? A lot of the lessons he learned on his engine will directly apply to yours with this project:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=17551

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=26880
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
jedz123
In Neutral

Post by jedz123 »

Chris so you know I'm droping an EJ18 with Ej22 heads into my Legacy. I plan on getting a turbo Leg or WRX Fuel pump complete with Turbo Legacy injectors. I'm going to run a front mount intercooler(don't know what yet but as long as it works and is cheap) w/ an atmospheric BOV I'm not sure what to run for Fuel and engine managment but I do know that I need to retard the timing somehow. It's quite the little frankenstien project. If you recomend a smaller turbo I'll gladely take the advice. The goal for me is at least 170whp but I would like 200 whp. My budget is small so that is why I'm doing this project. If I can get away with 170 hp with little to no Fuel modifcation I'm all about it. Like I said earlier
I KNow that some modification is going to be needed...I just want to do as little as possible.
thanks again Chris!
Brandon Clifton

Post by Brandon Clifton »

This is what I did for mine. It's a WRX turbo I acquired for free and the inlet elbow from a stock IHI, grafted together.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/bclifton/su ... d_TD04.jpg