head gasgets

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jedz123
In Neutral

head gasgets

Post by jedz123 »

quickie for you guys. I need to buy head gasgets for my Franken-turbo-build. Quick run through it's 2.2 heads on a 1.8 block. I was wondering what head gasgets I should buy for it and from what location? Should I run with EJ22T head gasgets or just Ej22(n/A). Also should I buy them at the dealership? or can I just buy them at my local parts dealer. thanks
94 Legacy L FWD 5-speed 210k miles
Traded the 92 Loyale for:
92 Legacy L AWD 5-speed 250K miles, Parts Car
92 SVX 4EAT AWD Weekend Driver...OH YES!
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

If the heads are NA heads, then NA gaskets.

You can get them both places, THERE ARE DIFFERENCES IN QUALITY!!!!!! There are good and bad aftermarket OEM gaskets. Unless you are sure of getting quality aftermarket, you should go Subaru. However, I have heard good things about the NAPA gaskets....
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

napa should be a brand called victor reinz. they make some mls(multi layer steel) HG's for ej25's that are pretty sweet, though I am unsure if there are any for the ej22. the MLS gaskets should be one of the strongest.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
thehookeup
Third Gear

Post by thehookeup »

whoa whoa whoa. wait a tick, correct me if im wrong but shouldnt he use the 1.8 turbo head gaskets or 1.8 NA head gaskets?

the bore on the 2.2's are bigger than the 1.8 right?

so if you use the 2.2 gaskets on a 1.8 the fire ring might now seal properly. when i did my 20g heads on my 2.2t i used the 2.2t head gaskets.

it was my understanding that head gaskets are matched to the bore, then go from there...

if im wrong i would love to know, and im not being sarcastic
-93 2.2T (RIP), 93 N/A best car on earth.
-00 legGT, 18" PIAA sport mesh wheels, front/rear Rallitek sways, lowered whitelines, coming soon: 2.5L sti internals, 20g heads P&P, twin charged. motor is almost ready to go in.
Andrew
jedz123
In Neutral

Post by jedz123 »

Thanks guys for the info.

A few things though,
correct me if im wrong but shouldnt he use the 1.8 turbo head gaskets
Uhh I don't think there were EJ18s that were turbocharged in the States(other then Post-factory).
so if you use the 2.2 gaskets on a 1.8 the fire ring might now seal properly. when i did my 20g heads on my 2.2t i used the 2.2t head gaskets. It was my understanding that head gaskets are matched to the bore,
True in you case but not ture universally. Moving to a head that has a smaller combustion diameter (ej20g) on your Ej22t you have to use the 2.2 head gasgets. If you were to use the ej20 gasgets the head gasgets would be exposed and your gasgets would crisp up... similar problem but the inverse in my situation. If I had a 1.8 head gasgets on the 2.2 heads I would expose my head gasgets to combustion. The bore on my 1.8 is the same size to the 1.8 head gasgets(obviously) however the diameter of the 1.8 head gasgets is smaller to the 2.2 heads. The 2.2 heads essentially Mushroom the cylinder...thats why I need 2.2 Head gasgets...
hopefully that helps a bit... I'm off to work
94 Legacy L FWD 5-speed 210k miles
Traded the 92 Loyale for:
92 Legacy L AWD 5-speed 250K miles, Parts Car
92 SVX 4EAT AWD Weekend Driver...OH YES!