Legacy Turbo Clutch into an 1.8l Impreza Tranny?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Impregacy
First Gear

Legacy Turbo Clutch into an 1.8l Impreza Tranny?

Post by Impregacy »

So the impreza has a ej22t, but when i did the swap i kept the 1.8L impreza transmission, flywheel, pressure plate, and disc. I'm thinking the best thing to do would be to swtich to a Legacy Turbo clutch. Does anybody know if a turbo disc would fit the 1.8 flywheel? I know they are both pull type clutches so the swap is safe in tht regard, i just don't know how all those diameter match up.

thanks
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You can't use a turbo clutch, because it's a pull-style setup. You can only use push-style clutch setups.

With that being said. If you look for an upgraded clutch for a 2.5 RS, that should work. You may need to also get a 2.5 RS flywheel, as its surface area may be slightly larger then the 1.8.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Impregacy
First Gear

Post by Impregacy »

you're saying that a legacy turbo clutch is a pull style clutch and a 1993 impreza 1.8 AWD transmission cannot use a pull style clutch? i thought push style refered to the hydro clutched WRX, for example. I was under the distinct impression that this my old 93 subaru still has the pull style set up. That means there is a cable that pulls on a lever to actuate the clutch right? That's exactly what my car has.
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Incorrect.

The "pull style" refers to the method with which the throwout bearing releases the pressure from the clutch disc, which with Turbo Subarus is by pulling...

The naturally aspirated Subarus use the more conventional "push type" method, where the throwout bearing pushes into the pressure plate and releases pressure that way.

All pull style are Hydraulic btw
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust