coolant leak near turbo

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

crappyrice
First Gear

coolant leak near turbo

Post by crappyrice »

well as far as i can tell its coming from close to the turbo area beside the block, nothing to die for, very little, but if i drive the car for over 30 min or so i can see white clear smoke coming out of the hood, and sometimes it gets pretty bad, it smells like coolant too. s o i was wondering if anyone has a diagram or advice or tips on where exactly its coming from, and what it will take to fix. mabye its even a loose clamp or just a little tear in the pipe, not sure, its really hard to get ag good look casue that area is so overcrouded with things.

also i just topped up the reserve tank with coolant about a month back, i never noticed it was always empty, and next day i noticed the coolant was all black, is that ok?
1991 subaru legacy, 2.2 turbo, automatic, 4wd, red, and very bad on gas
MRtuningCO
First Gear

Post by MRtuningCO »

well, with the age of the car you can asume the feed or drain hoses havent been replaced, which is probably a good starting point.
bepa
Second Gear

under turbo

Post by bepa »

look under the turbo right under. you will swee a small 1/2 hose if I remember correctly. it's a drain I believe. do not wait it will get worse for sure!

mine let go when at a funeral. how bad is that. could have tried to drive rest of trip, but knew I was better off not going.

if you know some one with a pressure tester you could pump it up and see where it is leaking. if this hose has not been replaced by you replace it anyway. subaru have a few short hoses and they should be replaced if you have not checked/replaced them yourself.