More PS problems. Pump seizing up.

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

n2x4
Fourth Gear

More PS problems. Pump seizing up.

Post by n2x4 »

Alright, I had been having problems with my power steering pump, so I replaced the bearing. It was missing half the balls and was grinding terribly. I put a new bearing in, and got everything back together without a problem. It seemed to be working fine, but the pump has been locking up entirely. There's belt dust in the engine bay because the belt slides when the pump won't turn. I put all new ATF fluid in the pump when I put it back together, so I know it's not low, and it doesn't leak. Any ideas as to where I should look for the problem? I don't understand why it's started to do this. I do have some bigger wheels (16x7's) so I understand this would put a little more stress on the pump, but it didn't do this when I first put my wheels on. Also, this was happening before the bearing was replaced (which I was hoping would fix the problem).
SUBARUEHS Racing
scuzzy
Third Gear

Re: More PS problems. Pump seizing up.

Post by scuzzy »

n2x4 wrote:It was missing half the balls and was grinding terribly.
there's your problem, if it's grinding, seizing, the housing is trashed, you don't need a bandaid, you need a new pump.
91 Legacy Wagon, Total Rally Car.

#82 M4 TRSCCA Rallycross

http://www.youtube.com/mobilepolice/
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

I second that.
-2004 Liquid Silver WRX "Pretty Hate Machine"
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

The pump itself wasn't grinding, just the bearing behind the pulley was. I've already replaced that with a new NSK bearing. When I tore the pump apart, it looked fine.

After I posted I went back out to the garage and checked it all out. I tightened the belt up a little, checked the fluid, bled the PS again and on my way to school today I didn't have any problems. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
SUBARUEHS Racing