Timing Question??

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Subaruuster
In Neutral

Timing Question??

Post by Subaruuster »

I just want to make sure I understand this so I can explain to my Brother in law who is arguing with me. When timing a EJ22 SOHC the alignment marks to use on the cam pulley's are obvious, but the crank is the point of argument. I've showed him the SM's and pics and we still disagree. The timing mark is the notch on the dogear in the back that is going to pass under the crank sensor, right??? The arrow on the front of crank pulley marks TDC, right??? and no matter how many times you rotate the crank, will the timing mark in the back ever line up as TDC on number 1 piston????? Or am I just an idot and don't understand the manuals???? Stranger things have happened...If I am right could someone explain to me why the timing doesn't have anything to do with TDC on Number 1?? Now I am assuming that Number 1 piston, looking at the car from the front to back, is the 1st piston on the Left.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The mark on the back of the timing gear is what you align things too.

As to the TDC reference.....it really is a mute point when setting things up.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Subaruuster
In Neutral

Post by Subaruuster »

But why is it that Subaru's don't time at TDC on number 1 ??? I need an answer so I can tell my B.I.L and can have the satisfaction of him knowing that I'm right. LOL
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

lots of cars don't have the timing marks at TDC on #1, it's usualy because of tention on the cams. smart engineers time cars where there is the least amount of tention from valve springs on the cams so that timing the engine is easier.

just line up the marks with the marks on the belt, it only goes on one way.
- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]