90 fwd help

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

4subaru
In Neutral

90 fwd help

Post by 4subaru »

I race my legacy, so I’m trying to figure out how to get stiffer springs, better sway bars and I want to get some braces for the body/chassis. I realize there are many different posts that have some information on this, but I got confused on if I could actually buy new parts that will fit my car or if I have to pull them from a different year/model and make them fit my car. Since I want a stiffer right side then left, it also makes it slightly harder to figure out.

So basically I'm looking for company names, where I could buy them and if the parts are direct replacement.
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

For the most part, you'll have to swap stuff from other cars, but that's ok, cause most subaru stuff goes together great. As far as actual aftermarket for the Legacy goes:
Actual STi pieces (such as topmounts and such)
and Whiteline (they have swaybars, endlinks, lowering springs, anti lift kits, etc.)

Some of the online subaru stores carry STi stuff, whiteline stuff is all around, some stuff is much easier to find than others.
SUBARUEHS Racing
4subaru
In Neutral

Post by 4subaru »

anyone know if the GT Spec body and fender braces will fit in a 90 legacy fwd?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If you really want good handling, I'd suggest getting Koni inserts. You're only other option for the FWD rear struts are KYB's GR2 struts. They're fine, but you may want something more.

Whiteline does make springs for the narrower rear top mounts. Those will work with the FWD setup.

Short of that....most of the other braces and stuff meant for the awd/turbo legacies or GC bodied impreza should work with some minor tweaking.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Legacy-Version94
In Neutral

Post by Legacy-Version94 »

Legacy777 wrote:If you really want good handling, I'd suggest getting Koni inserts. You're only other option for the FWD rear struts are KYB's GR2 struts. They're fine, but you may want something more.

Whiteline does make springs for the narrower rear top mounts. Those will work with the FWD setup.

Short of that....most of the other braces and stuff meant for the awd/turbo legacies or GC bodied impreza should work with some minor tweaking.
what kind of minor tweaking we talking about here?
'94 Subaru Legacy Wagon L
[url=http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?p=18605#18605]Mods[/url]
'88 Toyota Supra Turbo
'97 Suzuki GSXR 750
mattyg41383
First Gear

Post by mattyg41383 »

I put a front strut tower bar for a '93-> Impreza into my '90 FWD, fit like a charm. Its now in my '93 SS and also fit with no issues.
-Matt
1993 Legacy SS - auto
1997 Impreza coupe
1986 XT - 14.5s @ 95mph
1990 Legacy wagon "the Red Dragon" -sold (300K miles and it lives on)
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

Why do you want a stiffer right side, than left? The job of the suspension is to keep your car settled and balanced as well as possible, at any speed. By designing instability into your suspension, it's almost like multiplying by odd numbers; you're not going to come out even, no matter what. Hence, by designing instability into your car, you're not going to achieve any kind of stability later.

"Suspension isnt something to monkey around with." --grampa.

What leads you to believe you need one side stiffer?
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Legacy-Version94 wrote:
Legacy777 wrote:If you really want good handling, I'd suggest getting Koni inserts. You're only other option for the FWD rear struts are KYB's GR2 struts. They're fine, but you may want something more.

what kind of minor tweaking we talking about here?
On the bar I got, I just had to bend the bracket slightly to get everything to line up.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
4subaru
In Neutral

Post by 4subaru »

tris91ricer wrote:Why do you want a stiffer right side, than left? The job of the suspension is to keep your car settled and balanced as well as possible, at any speed. By designing instability into your suspension, it's almost like multiplying by odd numbers; you're not going to come out even, no matter what. Hence, by designing instability into your car, you're not going to achieve any kind of stability later.

"Suspension isnt something to monkey around with." --grampa.

What leads you to believe you need one side stiffer?

I race my car on a 3/8 mile circle track, it is trailered to and from the track, so it never sees the road.