White junk on my oil cap :(

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

White junk on my oil cap :(

Post by BSOD2600 »

Before going for a ~450 mile drive last weekend, I checked to make sure my coolant, oil and PS fluids were all topped off. The entire trip, the car never overheated nor did I notice any smoke. This morning before going to drive the car since last weekend, I decide to check the levels again.

First was the oil. Pulled out the dipstick and it was dry! WTF?! Check it another time and still nothing. So I put in a whole quart, then I'm able to see some fluid at the low mark. As I take off the oil cap, I notice white crap on it and the downtube, which I know means moisture.

This a sure sign the engine needs to be rebuilt?

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That is really odd...

When's the last time you changed the oil & filter?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

I changed both on 9/20/2006 when it had 149650 miles. Penzoil filter and Castrol 10W30. That was trying to fix the HLA's sticking, so I put in half a can of seafoam and it went away. Then changed the oil again on 9/22/2006 with 149666 miles.

The car now has 151K miles. Planning on changing the oil again in December after I drive home.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 TW | R.I.P.
Threshld1
Second Gear

Post by Threshld1 »

my catch can has been catching a fluid much like that at about 6oz every 2 weeks. My oil level and coolant levels are just fine. Recently changed oil and filter. Compression is good and no smoke at any time w/ no cats. So i dont know, my fluid almost has a gas smell though it doesnt burn so i think its mostly oil and water. Though my friend was telling me its possible for gas to escape past the rings an dilute the oil when running rich, even with good compression. Any validity to this?

The one similarity to our situation is i also ran some seafoam through (idled 10 min with half a can in the oil then changed oil and filter) and this has only come up after running it through. I used to just get a nasty 2 layer oil/water mixture from the can but now its all white like that.

If you guys figure out what the cause is i would definatly like to know.
93 SS 5MT - TD05H-16G, 06 TMIC, Walbro, Zeitronix WB-02 - Scrapped too much rust
91 SS AT
97 Outback - Prodrive quick rack, DMS 40
scuzzy
Third Gear

Post by scuzzy »

Threshld1 wrote:my catch can has been catching a fluid much like that at about 6oz every 2 weeks. My oil level and coolant levels are just fine. Recently changed oil and filter. Compression is good and no smoke at any time w/ no cats. So i dont know, my fluid almost has a gas smell though it doesnt burn so i think its mostly oil and water. Though my friend was telling me its possible for gas to escape past the rings an dilute the oil when running rich, even with good compression. Any validity to this?

The one similarity to our situation is i also ran some seafoam through (idled 10 min with half a can in the oil then changed oil and filter) and this has only come up after running it through. I used to just get a nasty 2 layer oil/water mixture from the can but now its all white like that.

If you guys figure out what the cause is i would definatly like to know.
yes that's true, if you run too rich you will wash the cylinder walls with fuel, the oil scraper is designed to leave just a very thin film of oil on the walls of the cylinders to give the rings some lubricant when running back up to the TDC. if you're excessively rich then you'll be washing that oil off the cylinder walls and whatever doesn't burn that remains on the cylinder walls will get scraped down into the oil pan, just like oil.

to have a white foamy fluid means just that, foam, it's foaming up like it's airrated. you didn't use any Lucas did you? and to have so much missing is another good question, why is your oil foaming up and why do you have two quarts of oil missing.

flush the oil pan again and check your radiator and see if you're getting foam or black spots in the coolant - if you are: headgasket.
91 Legacy Wagon, Total Rally Car.

#82 M4 TRSCCA Rallycross

http://www.youtube.com/mobilepolice/
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

usually a white pastey goo in the oil filler cap area means a blown head gasket, it is due to back pressure into the oil feed system. NOT GOOD.

you better have money saved for a new engine or a rebuild.
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

Post by bmxkelowna »

that is not always true
lots of short drives where the car does not get a full run to warm compleatly up will make it so the condensation in the block will end up on the oil cap like that.
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

I had a very small amount of that white crap in my oil cap after a few weeks of only very short drives.
90 L+ wgn
wallgood358
First Gear

Post by wallgood358 »

Do you live in a wet climate? There is the possibility that moisture could be seeping under the cap while it sits
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

wallgood358 wrote:Do you live in a wet climate? There is the possibility that moisture could be seeping under the cap while it sits
Seattle, is pretty darn wet. Although, I spend 9 months of the year in Klamath Falls, OR which is high desert (~4300 ft). Lots of snow/ice during the winter.

Cleaned as much of the white stuff out as I could a few days ago. It hasn't returned from a few days of driving in all this snow. Will check it again next Wednesday after I do a road trip to Salem (to get my 5MT installed -- w00t!).

'11 WRX Limited
'94 TW | R.I.P.
wallgood358
First Gear

Post by wallgood358 »

it could just be condensation, but to be sure i would have your head checked for cracks or leaks just in case.
mhrallyteam
First Gear

Post by mhrallyteam »

It IS water in the oil, condensation build up, when absorbed by oil it form a white goo, don't be too worried about it
92 l swapped to ej22T with 2.0T shortblock
4.111 manual 2.5RS tranny, sti eng mount, wrx I/C, MBC, WRX turboback exhaust, WRX front seats, STI rad cap, WRX specR1 struts, Eibach springs , leg turbo front brake, WRX rear brake.
ruffy
In Neutral

Re: White junk on my oil cap :(

Post by ruffy »

It's emulsion. Yes, water and oil do mix
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Nice, 9 year thread bump. Don't see that too often. ;)
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

I wonder how guys come across threads like this haha
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Mister Anderson
First Gear

Post by Mister Anderson »

lol right. Just to add to this old thread since it got bumped. My air-cooled VW bus will have a cap similar to that during winter after I run the engine for a hour or so.
91 black SS 5 speed (Canadian).... Closed deck EJ20G, fully built, V5/6 sti ra drivetrain, haltech stand-alone
93 silver TW 5 speed... rebuilt 22T with 20G heads, wrx ra drivetrain, otherwise stock.
73 kazen red VW bus riviera camper