EGT/Water temp & flowmap of a EJ22T with VF22

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

c32b
In Neutral

EGT/Water temp & flowmap of a EJ22T with VF22

Post by c32b »

Hi guys, I'm running a VF22 ish turbo with an ej22t. ignition timing is on the conservative side with about 1.4 bar of boost. 7 heat range ngk plugs and 8.5:1 compression on forged pistons. I have an 04 sti top mount. Currently have a/f at around 11.8:1 for mid end power and about 11.0 nearer the rpm limit. head is about standard.Duty cycle is about 80% or so on 660+ injectors and a walbro 255 lph. Any guesses on the power level of this setup?

Currently when i hold speeds of 220-240 i see my EGT climbing up all the way to nearly 700 deg C and looks like its gonna keep going. Do advise what range of EGT is normal for wat conditions?

i.e. for Regular street driving, top speed runs, high speed cruising etc?
what would overly high EGT's be? 800+ deg C?
what sort of water temps would i be seeing?

I have a copy of a vf22 compressor map and when i plug in my motor's specs it seems to say that at 1.4 bar i'm way off the efficiency at 7000rpm and i run out of puff. Can anyone confirm this? If so I will probably need to up the turbo some time soon to maybe a td06 20g which seems to have the peak cfm number of my engine right smack in its efficiency island.

seeking your comments and expertise
Innovative Tuning
Second Gear

Post by Innovative Tuning »

It's not that simple. You can wave your hand across a fire without getting hurt at all but if you stick your hand in it for a second it's going to burn....leave it there a couple senconds more and you'll be in the hospitol.

Remember that every time you do a top speed run. :) If your EGT's get hot at the end of a low gear pull that's no big deal at all, but if you sustain those high temps in top gear you're WAY more likely to damage a piston, valve, etc.
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

I did the mathematics on basically something close to what you have: 16g, 650's, top mount, 20 psi, etc.

#1 the VF 22 is running out of efficiency range at 14.7 bar at 7000 rpms. The ej22t runs out at around 6200, so right now you are pushing everything past its optimum point.

I would think you are around 265-300 hp right now.

Why not spend a little money and dyno it.

As for EGT temps, my NA Maxima will push to almost 800 C on full throttle pushes, so your 700 is not bad.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

dscoobydoo wrote: #1 the VF 22 is running out of efficiency range at 14.7 bar at 7000 rpms.
I would think you are around 265-300 hp right now.

Not to nitpick but i hope you mean 14.7 psi cuz 14.7bar equates to 213 psi :shock: As for EGTs the reserch i've done suggests that 1500 degrees F for a turbocharged gas engine is not unherd of.
http://www.hahnracecraft.com/auto/tech/info.htm
I really wouldn't pay attention to the tuning via EGTs there seams to be much dibate as to the proper way to tune, either with EGT or AFR. I would personally tune using AFR and use EGT as a reference.
92 Legacy Turbo, 5sp MT, Early Large CC 20G heads, Ported custom clocked td04, Cobb catted DP, Injen SS 3" exhaust, Turbosmart MBC @ 10psi, Apexi 20g intake, custom FMIC, Fidanza 11lb flywheel, stock 05 WRX clutch