Raising Rev limit via switching crystal

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

tzedek
First Gear

Raising Rev limit via switching crystal

Post by tzedek »

Basically, Im wondering what vrg thinks of this :-D I read a post of this from 03 that he thought it was a bad idea, but a couple people seem to have done (recently) this in otherwise stock vehicles with good success. I am thinking about this for a friends car, but I after reading vrg's ideas about it sort of scared me.
NuclearBacon
Second Gear

Post by NuclearBacon »

I am also curious about this..... it wouldnt be too dangerous... as long as you have an extra ECU :)
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Why would you want to raise the revlimit of your car? It won't make it any faster.

The only successful reason I've heard of this is from the owner of a 1995 Taurus SHO. During AutoX he would stay in 1st until 9,000 or 10,000 RPM for really tight turns. It wasn't for power, but simply for smoothness. Not having to upshift and then downshift again saved tenths of a second.

It's a really bad idea to rev a stock motor past the factory redline.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

10 grand in a SHO? Wow, I'd like to see that.
SUBARUEHS Racing
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I never saw it, but it sounded cool. I don't know if it was a stock motor or not. I'm betting not.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
keltik
In Neutral

Post by keltik »

I'd love to know more about this, if theres a way i can up my limiter to 7,000 (or is it 7,500?) like on the GT instead of my 6,500 it would give me even more incentive to get those cams reground.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Why would you want to raise your revlimit? You don't make power past 6500...

keltik
In Neutral

Post by keltik »

As stated i want to do it to make the best of some new cams as they generally push your power band higher. Plus everyone knows high RPM is sexy :twisted: