Engine wont hit over 2000 rpms...

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

redlineracer
First Gear

Engine wont hit over 2000 rpms...

Post by redlineracer »

I encountered a new problem that I cant figure out yet. My engine for some reason wont hit over 2000 rpms when I go down on the pedal. It kinda likes to hesitate and not go over 2000. I am thinking its the Perrin EBCS that is no longer functioning like it used to or the either something turbo wise or engine wise is dead. It idles just fine its when I drive the car and get on it, it doesnt want to hit 2000 rpms. The turbo spins fine, no play sideways or up and down, my gauge says it is hitting 5-10 psi. Im about to abandon all hope and get rid of this motor and either go with a EJ20T, EJ25 or EJ20TT. I do have coolant leaking from somewhere but I dont know where its coming from. I dont know if I have a blown head gasket or if I blew a hole in my piston. Any ideas? I dont want to rebuild this thing or spend a whole hell of a lot of money on this engine. Thanks in advance!
-1992 Legacy AWD Wagon-

"Leave it up to a Subaru to pull your friend with a Ford out of the mud when he gets stuck!"

Total Pullouts out of the mud or sand:
Subaru - 0 * Ford - 14 * Chevy - 2 * Dodge - 3
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

ECU in limp mode?
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

It's probably electronic, and the ECU is keeping you from revving over 2000 rpm. Have you checked to see if there are any codes stored in the ECU?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Engine wont hit over 2000 rpms...

Post by 555BCTurbo »

redlineracer wrote: Im about to abandon all hope and get rid of this motor and either go with a EJ20T, EJ25 or EJ20TT

No such engine as an EJ20T...there is the EJ20G, EJ205, EJ20H, EJ20K and EJ207

And the EJ20TT (EJ20H) will not fit in any USDM cars because the downpipe for the lefthand turbo will run into the clutch master cylinder. That and they have a terrible flat spot between the primary and secondary turbos.
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
redlineracer
First Gear

Post by redlineracer »

If I reset the ECU with disconnecting the negetive battery terminal it wont clear all the codes. I might have to check on that if the ECU is funked or not. I just want this car running. Does anyone know if the auto SS is an OBDI or OBDII?
-1992 Legacy AWD Wagon-

"Leave it up to a Subaru to pull your friend with a Ford out of the mud when he gets stuck!"

ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

redlineracer wrote:If I reset the ECU with disconnecting the negetive battery terminal it wont clear all the codes. I might have to check on that if the ECU is funked or not. I just want this car running. Does anyone know if the auto SS is an OBDI or OBDII?
obd1 you can easily check the codes by reading legacy777 website, it tells you the codes with flashing the check engine light.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
redlineracer
First Gear

Post by redlineracer »

Yeah I got stuff to do a D-check and read memory test so I hope I will find out what is happening tomorrow.
-1992 Legacy AWD Wagon-

ej22t
Second Gear

Post by ej22t »

Take a look on the coolant temp sensor... it may gives you some problem on it!

For the EJ20H engine, you could use it on your car but you have to put an EJ22T exhaust manifold to make it become single turbo and its a sweet engine. I just did the swap and so far after 3 months, it still runs great!

Ben
92 Legacy turbo with EJ20G engine swap \(^0^)/
redlineracer
First Gear

Post by redlineracer »

UPDATE: I have finally narrowed it down to a faulty Perrin EBCS. I changed out the spark plugs and they were carbonized and wasnt creating enough spark cause I tested each spark plug and 2 out of 4 of the plugs didnt have a lot of spark compared to the new ones. I drove it down the road and tried to pick it up a little and hit 500 more rpms. So now I hit 2500 and have the hesitation. But when I picked it up my EBCS was ticking like hell and my wastegate didnt feel like it was opening up. So I might just pick up a really good MBC or EBC that doesnt break so easily and see what happens.
-1992 Legacy AWD Wagon-

redlineracer
First Gear

Post by redlineracer »

Ok well I got it figured out....it was a clogged fuel filter and air cleaner. BLEH I feel stupid now.
-1992 Legacy AWD Wagon-