Need sensors

Got something for sale? Need to sell a part? Got some stuff on auction that you want to let us know about?

(Legacy Central BBS is not responsible for any arbitration between its users relative to this forum.
Play nice and deal straight)

Moderators: Helpinators2, Moderators

Forum rules
Please see the NEW Parts Shed Rules before posting: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... 15&t=55814

Sales of parts and parting cars only. Complete or parted car posts should be made in Car Lot: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewforum.php?f=32
Suzie-Q
First Gear

Need sensors

Post by Suzie-Q »

I've been really bothered by the check engine light coming on consistently for 2 months, so I decided to do the self-diagnosis thing by unplugging the 2 cables under the steering wheel. What the results showed were several issues. I have problems with my:

air flow sensor (even though it was replaced in July)
oxygen sensor (I might just buy a new one for $50)
cam position sensor
crank position sensor
throttle position sensor
knock sensor

Is that test reliable? Is all this stuff really wrong? If so, I was hoping someone had some good sensors laying around. Please let me know. Thanks!!
91 Mica Ruby Pearl L Sedan[color=#800000][/color]
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

Erase the codes, drive it for a day, see what codes come back.
98 Steel Widebody RSTi-RA Superbeast
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Sometimes when a lot of codes come up it can also be a common ground that's not grounded properly. That happened to my car.
'94 TW
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

+1 for erasing the codes and checking the ground. You might want to try the Big 3 mod. If you do a search on it, you'll find that it adds extra grounding points to help clean up the signals for the sensors.
SUBARUEHS Racing
crawlerdan
Vendor
Vendor

Post by crawlerdan »

i have all these sensors if you need em
Suzie-Q
First Gear

Post by Suzie-Q »

i actually did unplug the ground on my battery to clear the memory and then did the diagnostic. i'm pretty sure at least my O2 sensor is bad and possibly my air flow sensor (a used one was put in early august) because i'm only getting around 16 mpg, with about 40% of those hwy. but i'll definitely check the grounds for everything and make sure that's not the issue.
91 Mica Ruby Pearl L Sedan[color=#800000][/color]
bepa
Second Gear

sensors

Post by bepa »

first things first. having started with a turbo SS. that I had to have. will it needed a trany (was on way out right away), brake cailber and a few sensors. but for a test ride that the onwer knew was to be slow and never out of second gear I brought the car. doing all work myself and with friends with tools I have changed the car into a highway night time runner.

first how hard can you drive it? does it over heat? just because the price of gas is high and your car should get about 25 HPG or better I would start with the knock sensor. this one will kill the milage for sure. it is grounded pretty good right in the wire harness. the other sensors may just need the wiring harness moved or pins checked. to many to be bad and the motor to still run.

the TPS could be bad. alot of times before it gives up it has a way of bogging down when you push the gas padel. usually shutting the engine off and starting it again will correct it. oxygen sensors are also inportant. if it is not coding for that you are lucky.

knock sensors and TPS are to very different in priceas also

try to locate a used TPS for sure. knock can be got for a fairly low price if you look around. maybe $50 new. check for prices on the internet also.

be well, good hunting and drive safe,Daniel
91 SS/ 01 MB ML 55
Bronx, NY.