EJ22T/DOHC first step help

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Jutboy
First Gear

EJ22T/DOHC first step help

Post by Jutboy »

Well tomorrow, my friends coming over and we're going to start working on this build. For those who don't remember/don't know, I'm building up my 91 Legacy Turbo SS.

I was hoping to do it in steps as I don't have much time (ever) and it would allow me to save up money in between.

What I was thinking for tomorrow is to change the heads over to the DOHC, put in the STI yellow injectors and control everything with a Apexi Air/Fuel controller.

Now a couple of things concern me....

1)Are these new heads gonna work ok with my stock turbo?

2)I assume I can't up the boost on my stock turbo until I get an intercooler right? What boost can I run until then and whats the difference between the manual controller?

3)Is the Apexi gonna work for me with these big injectors/small turbo. Also how about when I move to a bigger turbo + bigger injectors?

Thank you all so much for the help - I'd be lost with out ya - Justin
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Don't bother with those injectors until you have installed a larger turbo, intercooler, and are running around 20 psi...because they will just run rich...and are a bitch to tune...

The heads will work fine...and the SAFC will most likely do what you want (I haven't used one, but I hear they work well on TLegs)

Don't go much anything over 10 psi non-intercooled...because the VF11 runs out of efficiency rather quick, and starts pushing very hot air
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
Jutboy
First Gear

Post by Jutboy »

Thanks - thats what I'm going to do!
FuJi K
First Gear

Post by FuJi K »

how's that wiring on the intake manifold work?
What YEAR intake manifolds are you guys using? All the '96 have LARGE ports whereas the 97-99 have skinnier ports. I'm still wondering how they BOTH look like and if the '98 is just quinched/bottlenecked when the manifold turns down to the heads, because if it is then I can just grab a '97-99 and port it to match a gasket matched port on the heads that I have; MY98 DOHC.
MY99 GF4 5spd DIY Modified