91 Legacy Wagon AWD air suspension conversion

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jdonato
In Neutral

91 Legacy Wagon AWD air suspension conversion

Post by jdonato »

Greetings,
This is my first post here so I'll introduce myself.
I'm from a Subaru family, starting with an 84' GL Wagon, then 91' Legacy Wagon AWD, and presently a 2000 Outback Wagon.
My entire family at one time or another has owned 10 different Subaru vehicles. Presently there are 5 operational Subarus in my extended family.
I'm working on the 91' Legacy AWD with failed air suspension.
The dealership replaced all the air bags 6 years ago at a hefty price.
Now I'm looking for a standard strut conversion kit to replace the airbags. Does anyone have any links or knowledge about this conversion. I don't like the option of pulling used suspension parts off a non-air bag vehicle. I'm hoping there is a kit out there that someone here has used and can comment on.
I have a factory manual, Haynes manual, Chiltons manual, garage full of air tools, and a couple sets of jackstands. Now all I need is a source for air bag replacement struts.
Thanks.

jdonato
Virginia, USA
lilevo
In Neutral

Post by lilevo »

Can you just bolt in an entire strut and spring assembly out of a non-air suspension AWD wagon?

I have access to a 91 AWD wagon with struts/springs that I could ship to you if this is the case
Jason
90 Mirage AWD "LIL EVO"
93 Lexus LS400 "WNTR BDR"
92 Legacy AWD Sedan
96 Kawasaki 900zxi PWC
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

yep thats how it works
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
lilevo
In Neutral

Re: 91 Legacy Wagon AWD air suspension conversion

Post by lilevo »

jdonato wrote:Greetings,
...Have air suspension, want struts...

jdonato
Virginia, USA
I can ship you a set of assembled springs and struts from a 91 AWD Wagon. PM or email me for details.
jdonato
In Neutral

Air suspentsion

Post by jdonato »

Lilevo,
PM Sent.

After some creative google searching, I found Strutmasters and an outfit named American Air Suspension that both distribute spring/strut conversion kits to replace the air bags. Does anyone have any comment or experience with any of them?

Thanks

jdonato.
Numbchux
In Neutral

Post by Numbchux »

AFAIK, there isn't any difference between the air suspension knuckles or strut tops. you shouldn't need any conversion kit or anything. just a set of conventional springs/struts from a gen 1 leggy wagon.
heartless
In Neutral

Post by heartless »

in the midst of doing the conversion on a 90 AWD wagon. pretty straight forward if you get the complete strut assembly - tophats, springs, etc. Hardest part is getting the lower bolts loose.
dont forget to disconnect the airlines & electrical connectors that run the air system - there is one plug that runs thru the backside of the strut tower on the fronts that needs to be unhooked and fed thru the hole, and of course the airline on the top. Havent gotten to the backs yet (should be able to get to one tonight after work) so not sure where everything is there yet....
jdonato
In Neutral

Air supension conversion kit

Post by jdonato »

I've opted to purchase a conversion kit from American Air Suspension, the gentleman I spoke with on the phone was nice and explained its a simple replacement. Seems like I'll answer my own questions. The kit should be here in a couple days. I'll take pictures and report back how it goes.

Thanks
Jude
jdonato
In Neutral

Air strut to coil replacement in process

Post by jdonato »

Ordered a kit from American Air Suspension .http://www.americanairsuspension.com/ca ... php?cat=25 on Tuesday morning, 2 big packages arrived Wednesday afternoon. I started the swap today at 1:30
Here is the 91' Legacy mica ruby sitting on flat airbags, there is only 5 inches of ground clearance from the sills so my floorjack wouldn't fit from the side.

The new struts, shorter fronts, longer rears.

Offending air strut

Rear air strut vs rear coil replacement

Right rear replaced and back on ground, fronts still flat
The rear struts took 2.5 hours to swap out completely and torque the wheels. The left front took 1.5 hours which included removing the air compressor and tiny air tank. I quit when it started raining, the right front should take about 1 hour then its time for a test drive :D
More pics to follow.http://www.americanairsuspension.com/ca ... php?cat=25
Last edited by jdonato on Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Very cool.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
jdonato
In Neutral

Strut kit completed

Post by jdonato »

After aligning the camber adjusting bolts to the exact position where found and reattaching the front swaybar the air to coil suspension swap is complete. Total time labor about 4.5 hours w/ air tools working off the ground some in the rain.
The rears went up from 12 5/8" to 13 3/4, while the fronts went from a saggy 12 1/7" to 13 7/8". Height measured from centerline of axle to bottom edge of fender "eyebrow".

Test drive went fine, not pops, clangs, or grinding. The ride feels fine- not as good as our 2001 Outback Wagon. At least the 91' Legacy w/ 100k miles is drivable.

Having this product show up in one day sure beats calling around junkyards to see if they have all the right parts (coils, tophats). Now I have an air pump and tank that I could convert to an ARB Locker for another vechile.

Jdonato
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

The struts and whatnot aren't all that hard to source, but I can see what you mean about having everything in a kit.

Air tools make everything SO much better. I need to pick up an air ratchet soon......
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS