front diff went out on 03 FXS

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

1-3-2-4
Second Gear

front diff went out on 03 FXS

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

So I came here to ask for your help.. since stuff was splattered all over the underside of the car is the front differential housing bolted on with the transmission?

Long story short I think this all started with a leaky axle seal and so I was driving and I got on the highway and I hear this light whirling sound.. I had the radio on so then I muted it.. I was like Ok... (gear oil at home) I was going to try and make it to the auto story.. so I get off the next exit and as I make a right turn the sound got louder... under light throttle.

so I make a left and it's at the same sound level.. and about 3 stop lights later the whole car shakes violent and I hear a metal clunking sound like the front diff has a few broken teeth.. I left the light slow and all.

when I looked at the front diff level it was just below the Line for the Low level is it just me or does the front fluid level go faster then the rear?

moving forward every 5 inches would cause the car to clunk.. In Neutral it was not bad since the pinion gear was not trying to turn the front diff.

so called the AAA tow truck and had it towed to a transmission shop.. I did take some pictures here.. one thing I noticed.. where did the oil seal go on my right front CV joint??

also I have a cracked housing on the Left front.. and also both shafts seemed to push out??

car is a 4EAT

Left front
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Wow, that looks bad. Did the circlips come off the axles inside the tranny? They're what hold the axles in. To remove those style axles, you've got to pull them out. That really sucks since you cracked the case. Doesn't look like it'll be an easy fix.

Your guess on where the oil seal went is as good as mine. Did it get sucked into the tranny when the axle was floppin' around?
SUBARUEHS Racing
1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

no clue about the clips :-/ must of broke off inside the diff.

as for the oil seal beats me I can't see how that big of a seal could go missing.
1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

yep the housing is not rebuildable (duh)

it's $4,200 for a new one from the dealer $3,200 for a used one
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

That really sucks!
SUBARUEHS Racing
1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

n2x4 wrote:That really sucks!
Here is this other thread where the guy cracked his 4EAT housing sorta like mine but not this bad :shock:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin ... php?t=5255
1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

just got a call telling me it's ready.. price went up a little bit more since the passenger side axle needed to be replaced.

$3,560.30
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

If you were closer, I would offer to sell you my recently remanufactured turbo 4EAT for fairly cheap..........
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

the turbo 4EAT has taller gearing no?
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

And a higher final drive.

For some reason, I forgot you were talking about a forester.....
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS