Intake manifold removal...

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Intake manifold removal...

Post by entirelyturbo »

Alright, you ASE-certified mechanics out there :o , how much of a bizzitch is it to remove that sucker on an NA? If my coilpack doesn't help, I'm gonna assume manifold gaskets... I know what needs to come off, I just wondered if anyone has experience just in case I need to do it...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

haha....funny you mention this......I'm actually looking at doing this. I'm pretty sure my intake leak is in the intake manifold gaskets.

From what I can tell. You will need to remove the fuel lines on the drivers side of the engine, take off intake, vacuum lines goin to the intake, throttle cable, TB (or the coolant lines goin to the TB) I think that's all......should be all.

I just want to confirm my leak is in the gasket......before I go through all the work.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
scoobiedoo22
First Gear

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

Don't forget the power steering lines, pressure and return, removed at the pump. You might be able to leave them on and finess the intake around them but it's easier with them disconnected. Also, don't forget the wire harnesses for the injectors, cam and crank sensors, and temp gauge, other than that and what Josh listed, it's not that back removing the intake, if you take you time, have the right tools, and of course basic know-how. Good luck, john
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

From what I've read, it's usually done with the injectors/fuel rail and TB still attached, and power steering lines are cake, just gotta keep from spillin ATF all over block :) ...
Legacy777 wrote:I just want to confirm my leak is in the gasket
Shouldn't the two of us do a vacuum test and find out for sure? I haven't gotten around to it, mainly b/c parts stores insist on handing me a compression gauge instead :x ...

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

From what I heard nothing has to be disconnected, other than the spark plug wires (if you only want to change the gaskets). just unbolt the 2 bolts at every one of the four legs of the intake manifold and push it up.
The old gaskets will likely rip and be caked onto the block and manifold. Just grab a razor and clean it off while not getting any into the engine, shoving a rag into the intake port will help. when done just slip the new ones in and bolt down the 8 bolts. Fini

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

How? The alternator and A/C compressor have to come off, they're mounted to the manifold; if you're gonna leave those on you'd hafta at least take the belts off...

Even then you'll have very little room to work, might need someone else to hold the manifold up while you replace the gaskets...

*Formerly DerFahrer*

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You don't need to remove the A/C or any of the pump crap......

I've done a vacuum test on mine. It's pretty much around normal, maybe off a tenth of a psi.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

scoobiedoo22
First Gear

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

No, the a/c compressor, alternator, and ps pumps don't need to be removed, they have their own brackets completely seperate from the intake manifold. The original gaskets for the intake are the metal type and should come off easily and clean, the replacement gaskets are the organic/inner metal braid type, I have the part number/s for the new ones and will get them to you tomorrow if you need em. john
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Okay, I stand corrected... I know the p/s pump can stay, coz I just pulled a junkyard one, didn't touch the manifold...

But I was sure that the alternator and a/c compressor were mounted to the manifold, but I just looked at it about 2 minutes ago and the alternator and compressor are mounted together on the intake manifold, but also the block, so you all are right, through a little twisting and contorting, the manifold should come off with all the belt-driven accessories in place...

*Formerly DerFahrer*

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Well i did some testing yesterday. Found out my whistle which I thought was an intake leak is coming from the exhaust. GO FIGURE. I'm not sure if it's just a hole in the muffler, which is causing this whistle, or if there is something upstream either in the exhaust or engine that is causing it.

I've been trying to get an exhaust for several months now.....I'm getting rather pissed off at MRT.....their customer support is absolutely horrible!!!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

So all this time you don't have a TB leak?

*Formerly DerFahrer*

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The TB is for all intents fixed........it's been fixed for a while. I thought I had a leak on the intake.

I'm just curious if plugged cats or muffler will produce the results I have. If not.....I gotta figure out what the hell is causing my problems.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT