90 Legacy L help

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

beater_legacy
First Gear

90 Legacy L help

Post by beater_legacy »

Hello all. I am new here so be nice.

I have recently purchased a 1990 Legacy L model to use as my daily driver. I am going to be making a junkyard run soon to replace some rusted and bashed fenders as well as a few other things. If I can get all the parts I might convert it to AWD and possibly a 5sp which I found a guide for here: http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/swap/swap.html. My main question is what models have parts that are interchangable with this model? By the way the car is a 2.2l SOHC non-turbo. I am looking for factory upgrade parts, mainly suspension, maybe interior, just nicer parts from others car that I can pick up cheaply. The junkyard I am going to has a $50 all you can carry special so I will be trying to get as much stuff as I can.

thanks in advance,
Brandon
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The main issue with the 1990 & 1991 model years is the rear strut top mount & spring design. They use a tapered rear spring, the newer models don't. Also the rear anti-sway bar connetion mounts are different, but can be swapped over.

There's several threads that go into detail on the differences. I'd recommend doing a search.

Other then that, most of the parts between the first gen legacies are interchangable, excluding the body panel/exterior changes between the 90-91 MY & the 92-94 MY's.

If you have specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
isotopeman
Second Gear

Post by isotopeman »

Legacy777 wrote: Other then that, most of the parts between the first gen legacies are interchangable, excluding the body panel/exterior changes between the 90-91 MY & the 92-94 MY's.
Luckily, some body panels from 92-94 models do still fit on the 1990. I know that the front passenger door on my 90 wagon is from a 93 sedan. I think what you're saying does apply to the fenders though where the headlights fit differently.
δ13/12C = -17.7 ‰
δ15/14N = 9.4 ‰
beater_legacy
First Gear

Post by beater_legacy »

Thanks for the help.

I know the suspension is pretty much shot. The car makes all kinds of racket when driving over bumps and dips in the road. And basically just bounces around like it has no shocks what so ever. I don't want to put a whole bunch of money in this car, I only paid $300 for it. I have already put about $200 in it with a tune up, water pump, timing belt, battery, heater relay, etc.

I definitly don't want to lower the car, if anything maybe raise it a hair. I want to pull a medium sized trailer with it for hauling other car parts and I am also a sculpture artist and I have a few big things that I occasionally need to transport along with supplies. So a beefier suspension would help a lot. And I would like to do the AWD conversion so it will be a great winter car as well. I was thinking something like an Outback suspension or something like that.

Do you all know if all Subaru wheels are interchangable?

Thanks for any help. I've done several searches, just not really sure what I am searching for yet.

-Brandon
isotopeman
Second Gear

Post by isotopeman »

The owner's manual claims that the fwd legac L wagon can tow up to 2000 lbs with the stock suspension. A friend of mine bought a Subaru Legacy wagon (not Outback) several years ago with a factory towing suspension for towing his sailboat. It looked the same height, so I'm not sure what the difference is.
The front-wheel-drive is great for winter driving. It's hard to stop with good winter tires on. awd is better, but you'll use a little more gas all year long.
δ13/12C = -17.7 ‰
δ15/14N = 9.4 ‰
beater_legacy
First Gear

Post by beater_legacy »

Yeah, FWD is great in the snow. The AWD just adds more to the fun factor. And plus if I can pick up everything I need at this junkyard sale for $50-$100 then why not.

So what I have found so far seems to point to a 98 outback suspension which will raise the car about an inch. Any reason why I have only seen the 98 model year?

thanks