Sharpening Up the Steering a Bit (on a modest budget)

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Soul Shinobi
Second Gear

Sharpening Up the Steering a Bit (on a modest budget)

Post by Soul Shinobi »

It's recently come to my attention in the progression of my driving skill that the steering in my '92 Legacy L isn't quite as sharp as I'd like it to be, nor does it give as much feedback as I'd like. I'm interested in some modest upgrades or tweaks that can be done without breaking the bank (say, $200 total or so? To put it simply I have a pretty tight budget).

Alright, after doing some poking around I've come up with a short list of potential operations:

1. Steering fluid flush
2. Strut tower braces
3. Urethane bushings
4. Alignment tweaks
5. Other tweaks

This is by no means a complete list, I still consider myself a car newbie, so please do add.

Allow me to go over each potential modification in detail so that the practicality can be address more acutely.

1. Steering fluid flush

I don't know what power steering fluid is supposed to be like normally, but mine is a semitransparent red-ish brown, and it smells really bad, almost burnt. Honestly, I have no idea how or if this can be done by myself, the service manual is of no help. The local Subaru dealer said they don't have the equipment to do a steering fluid flush, but they will in a month and want to charge $80, give or take 10.

I'd like to be able to do this myself, is there a drain valve anywhere? If not, would a normal auto shop have the equipment to do a full flush and fill (since I'm sure they'd charge less)? Either way, what is a quality brand of power steering fluid for me to buy (I'm probably only going to do this once so I want the best)?8

2. Strut tower braces

Now I know these would only offer a better feel in hard cornering, but I hear that the cheap eBay braces work 80% as well as the name brands for 15% of the cost, which sounds like a deal to me.

Click here to see the ones I was looking at. These are claimed to be for '94 to '01 WRX STi's, but they should fit, right? This type caught my eye because it's adjustable at each end, but which way should I adjust it, pushing out on the struts or pulling in? I would think pushing out...

3. Urethane bushings

I know these with increase NVH (noise vibration and harshness), but that doesn't bother me much. What I am worried about is these causing the steering to fight me hard on somewhat rough road; that might bother me. Click here to see the ones I was looking at, these were the topic of discussion in another recent topic on this subforum although no one gave a detailed account of the handling difference.

4. Alignment tweaks

This was also noted in a recent thread, in which this site was cited. On the site the following setup was recommended; "Front: ~ 3/4 degree negative camber, 1/16+ inch toe-out. Rear: leave stock."

Going through that thread people recommended other settings too, but I thought I'd ask outright, what would be best for occasional aggressive road driving without compromising tire wear? I'm the only driver of the car and I don't mind if it feels 'sporty' sharp all of the time, so long as that isn't extreme.

5. Other tweaks

The only other thing I can think of is adjusting my current generic struts, if possible. Looking at the tops of the struts it seems like at least some aspect of them is adjustable; there's a hexagonal hole that a hex wrench could go in as well as a large nut. I've taken a picture of the front strut tops for you to evaluate:

http://home.comcast.net/~subrosa135/car ... ut_top.jpg

It seems like the nut is just to hold the adjustment of the center part with the hex hole in place, but what do I know, I'm just guessing. Below and out of sight are what appear to be ball bearings around the inside of the rubber part there (maybe I should grease those?).

That's all I've got. Any other ideas or corrections?
-Nick
1992 BC Legacy L Sedan AWD 5MT 272,000 - Wish you the best
1998 BK Legacy L Wagon 5MT 234,000 miles - RIP
2002 SF Forester S Wagon 5MT 215,000 miles - Current winter sleigh
1986 FC Mazda RX-7 GXL Coupe 5MT 155,000 miles - Summer cruiser
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Better tires.

I have a good alignment and urethane steering rack bushings along with fairly stiff suspension and bigger swaybars.

I can feel the RE92s flexing and squriming around.

That hex hole in the strut is to keep the strut from spinning when you tighten the top nut.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Tires and a smaller, less padded steering wheel. Made all the difference in the world. Car had steering feel comparable to manual steering cars and better than a lot of sports cars.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

whiteline makes replacement steering rack bushings that remove a lot of slop in the steering.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Also, consider switching to SS swaybars.

They should be stiffer than your L bars.

I would offer you mine, but I threw them away when nobody wanted them......
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Soul Shinobi
Second Gear

Post by Soul Shinobi »

You WHAT?!? Alright, I have a confession to make, '92 to '94 Legacy L models don't have rear sway bars at all. I guess that's going to the top of the priority list!

I've been so reluctant to do this because I've been thinking of getting an Impreza (with a lot less RUST) withing the next year so I didn't want to put too much time and money into the Legacy, but I really should do a rear sway bar. I'll need to get rear most control arms too though :? Then I'll need an alignment. Pain in the ass.
-Nick
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

Sounds like your power steering fluid is due for a good flush. It would be pretty hard to get all the fluid changed out, but you can get pretty close.

Take the little screen out of your reservoir and use a syringe or turkey baster to suck all the fluid out. I used my vacumn brake bleeder to suck it out. Then just refill with fresh atf fluid.

You can drive around for awhile and then do the process over again to get a larger percentage of fresh fluid in the system.

I don't think it will make any difference in the way the steering feels, but it is always a good thing to get old nasty fluid out and fresh in.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
Soul Shinobi
Second Gear

Post by Soul Shinobi »

I was just going to ask how to do that! Thank you!

So just use automatic transmission fluid? What would be a good brand for that? (And while I'm asking, what's a good brand of AT fluid for actual transmissions? I've been thinking of flushing the tranny on my girlfriend's car.)
-Nick
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

It's a little more complicated, but you could also take the return line off the power steering pump and run a hose off of it and into a disposal container, then have an assistant start the engine and you can stand in front and pour new ATF in the top of the power steering pump. Once you see clean ATF coming out of the return line, your system is flushed and full of fresh ATF.

Or you can just overdo things and replace the rack and rebuild the pump. You lose all the old fluid in the process :D

+1 on what Jamal said by the way. The rack bushings are very effective and make your steering very responsive. BUT, by the same principle, you'll get a lot more feedback from the road. Small undulations that you didn't even notice before will be transmitted back to the steering wheel. For a while, I thought I had installed a faulty rack or had done something else incorrectly, but I've checked and double-checked everything underneath the car and everything's perfect.

So just keep that in mind.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

so i was thinking about buying a JDM power steering cooling line. anyone ever tried one or think that could help with anything?

if you don't know, it basically just has a line that runs from the PS pump all the way to the drivers side of the radiator (it runs in front of the radiator too i believe) and back to wherever the PS fluid actually goes. i guess it just cools it a bit.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

I know what you mean with the JDM cooling hardlines. It seems like they will offer a little cooling, but there aren't fins or anything on them, just bare metal lines and the rubber parts. So maybe the fluid needs to stay above a certain temp. to work properly?

If you really wanted to cool the steering fluid, get an AT radiator and hook up lines to the AT fluid cooler in the rad.
90 L+ wgn
Soul Shinobi
Second Gear

Post by Soul Shinobi »

subyluvr2212 wrote:It's a little more complicated, but you could also take the return line off the power steering pump and run a hose off of it and into a disposal container, then have an assistant start the engine and you can stand in front and pour new ATF in the top of the power steering pump. Once you see clean ATF coming out of the return line, your system is flushed and full of fresh ATF.
Alright, I like to be thorough so that sounds good. Looking as the service manual it seems that the line connected higher on the power steering fluid reservoir is the return, and the lower one connected at the pump is the exiting fluid, correct?

I was thinking of using Red Line Power Steering Fluid from here. Does anyone know if the stuff is decent?

And after that post steering rack bushings are definitely in the future. :-D
-Nick
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

I believe your suppost to use Dextron ||| fluid in the power steering.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

DONT USE POWERSTEERING FLUID!!!

That'll destroy the pump!!
98 Steel Widebody RSTi-RA Superbeast
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Soul Shinobi wrote:Alright, I like to be thorough so that sounds good. Looking as the service manual it seems that the line connected higher on the power steering fluid reservoir is the return, and the lower one connected at the pump is the exiting fluid, correct?
Correct.

I've never used power steering fluid, but I'd take Splinter's word for it. Just stick with ATF. It's definitely easier to find (I rarely see actual power steering fluid), and it's probably cheaper too.

When I did my steering restoration, I just bought two big jugs of Valvoline ATF. I think it was like $18-$20 for both. That will be PLENTY for anything you could ever want to do with your power steering system.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Soul Shinobi
Second Gear

Post by Soul Shinobi »

Whoah; glad I asked!

Dexron III ATF it is.

I read in the service manual that the power steering capacity is 0.7 US quarts.
Last edited by Soul Shinobi on Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Nick
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

That's about how much the reservoir takes. If you're going to change all the fluid out, then you're gonna need more than that.

I'm guessing here, but I'd estimate the capacity of the whole system is about a quart and a half.

Be VERY careful not to overfill the reservoir though. It's much easier to do than you think.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

subyluvr2212 wrote: Be VERY careful not to overfill the reservoir though. It's much easier to do than you think.
And it'll make a goddamn mess!
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

Power steering fluid is super common

We've got nearly a whole shelf of it at work

A lot of cars have their own types. i.e. we sell Honda PS fluid, GM PS fluid

Ive come across 3 TLegs in the past year that made horrible noises when you turned the steering wheel and they all had yellow power steering fluid in the reservoir, instead of dexron
98 Steel Widebody RSTi-RA Superbeast
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Doesn't it say on the res. cap to use ATF?
90 L+ wgn
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Yes, it does.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Soul Shinobi
Second Gear

Post by Soul Shinobi »

I bought a quart of Castrol DEXRON-VI ATF a "Premium synthetic blend formula that exceeds DEXRON-III H requirements." Is this alright? If so I'll get another.

Shit, I just realized the bottle says "For use in General Motors vehicles." Now looking on the back it says... "Certified and approved by General Motors for all cars and trucks that require DEXRON-VI. Also satisfies requirements of DEXRON, DEXRON-III H, III, IIE, and II."

So will this be alright?

EDIT: I found the answer:
Wikipedia wrote:DEXRON is an automatic transmission fluid (ATF) used in cars. It is developed by General Motors, which licenses the brand to vendors of ATF. DEXRON-VI was introduced in 2005 and is backward compatible and recommended for transmissions that require outdated DEXRON specifications, as DEXRON-III licensing will soon cease.
That's the whole article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEXRON

Kind of funny how it seems that GM neglected to make DEXRON IV and V before VI... Maybe they were just too dumb to know where the "I" went. :P
-Nick
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Steering rack bushings, stiffer springs, and tires 16- 50-215...
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

The biggest improvements I made were adding a rear sway bar, and replacing the rack with a fresh one from the junk yard, both of which came to less than $200 total. I also replaced the rack bushings nat. At way over 100k miles the rack will not feel like new with just a fluid change. Have you looked closely for torn boots?

If you find any play in the tie rods, you will quickly outstrip the price of just swapping the rack. The price of tie rod ends and boots is high, so why mess with it. I got dozens of replies for low mile racks on car-part.com

Obviously tires make a big difference
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Speaking of tie rods, if the tie rods or balljoints are at all questionable, get the new whiteline roll center adjustment kit. New tie, rods, new ball joints, and a better camber curve all for the price of oem replacements.

If I didn't have brand new balljoints I would pick one up in a second. I think they're like $180