How bad is metal?

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

How bad is metal?

Post by Arctic Assassian »

Hey all I just spun out a rod bearing, due to excessive blowby. I pulled off my tmic, and to my suprise, there is about 2 tbsp(alot!) of oil just after the pressure side of my turbo, with a significant amount of metal in it. How likely is it that my turbo is damaged? How easy is it for metal particles to destroy the bushings(bearings) in the turbo? I know that these are hard to answer, but I'm looking for a general description of how metal destroys turbos, if at all, and how long it takes before any significant damage is done. also, where could that oil come from, its everywhere in my whole intake tract.
thanks
-Adam
Kickin' it old-school.
lunes
First Gear

Post by lunes »

ok, since noone else has replied, I will hazard a guess...

if there is oil in the intake tube, I would figure it came from the turbo... thats the only place oil should be able to leak into the intake lines before the manifold gaskets... if there is any metal in there at all, it probably spun the turbo bearings with grit in there, meaning damage... are the bearings destroyed? impossible to tell, but if it were mine I would want to take it apart completely and find out...

my personal guess and opinion would be this would need a lot of work/testing before Id try to use it again... but don't assume anything... and get second (or third) opinions if possible
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

I pulled the motor yesterday, havent split it yet, but I checked my turbo and it has the same ammount of lateral play that it had before, and no axial play to speak of. I think i'm gonna put on a vf-20 ( or whatever comes from a LGT) Unless my friend decides to just give me a newer td04. I'm hoping for the vf because I've got a set of yellow tops to put in with my SAFC-II, I think it could lend me alot of fun with the new 257 I'm putting in.
Kickin' it old-school.