WRX STI will have 2.5T ???

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

rallysam
Fourth Gear

WRX STI will have 2.5T ???

Post by rallysam »

Did everyone see that Subaru just unvieled the WRX STI version in Detroit with a *2.5L* turbo!!!! 300hp and 300 torque.

I wonder if they came up with a closed-deck version of the 2.5? Or if they managed to squeeze a reliable 300hp out of the standard 2.5 design? No matter what, the extra displacement would sure make a nice powerplant for the next-gen performance Legacy, ay? :) Why stop at 2.2T is what I say.

Here's the discussion on I-net:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdi ... forumid=83
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

HUH?!? What happened to the bulletproof EJ20? Of course, how would they make 280hp from a 2.0 on American pump gas?...

I didn't get to se the NAIAO, but damn! You're right, hope it's closed-deck... This is the same motor that's gonna be in the 2004 B4 that's comin over here :wink: ... Read about it on i-club and in Jan `03 Car and Driver...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

subyluvr2212 wrote:This is the same motor that's gonna be in the 2004 B4 that's comin over here :wink: ... Read about it on i-club and in Jan `03 Car and Driver...
Any word if it's still twin turbo :D?
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

Here's Subaru's official STI site:
http://impreza.subaru.com
including pics of the new body-style rally car
This is the same motor that's gonna be in the 2004 B4 that's comin over here ...
MMMmmmm.... tasty
But I think they should outdo themselves again and throw together a H3.0T for the B4.

I also hope the 2.5T parts and reverse-engineering trickle down into the aftermarket.
'00 Impr RS - sold
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

If it's a 2.5 it will be single-turbo, which will still make some 250-270 HP. Yes, I also read that rumor of an EZ30T. Sends shivers down my spine! Look out Skyline!

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

The official details are already released, where have you guys been? This car beats all the upcoming new models (neon,evo etc..)
2.5-liter intercooled and turbocharged 4-cylinder boxer engine
with Active Valve Control System (AVCS)
300-horsepower @ 6,000 rpm,
300 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4,000 rpm

All-Wheel Drive

Driver Controlled Center Differential (DCCD)

Mechanical limited-slip rear differential

4-wheel fully independent sport-tuned suspension with inverted front strut

6-speed manual transmission with short-throw shifter
:arrow: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdi ... forumid=83
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Okay, I don't care if this is for the Impreza or Legacy... I WANT IT!!!

AVCS? Driver-controlled center diff? 6-speed? This is JDM heaven!!!

Guess I better start rollin pennies :lol: !

*Formerly DerFahrer*

LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

From what I hard the Twin turbo setup has been dropped for a single turbo in the B4. the old legacy RS's (1995-2000) and later the B4's were incredibly hard to tune due to the twin turbo setup.

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I think droppin the twin turbo setup is probably a wise move for subaru. They just now need to continue turbo charging higher displacement motors like the new flat six ;)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

The new Subarus are going to start using an IHI Twin-Scroll turbo, like the EVO and the old FC RX-7. Basically it has two turbine tracks instead of one, making it a nice compromise between single and twin turbo.

There is no replacement for displacement when you want torque, and a %25 increase in displacement does just that. Forged internals...this is one serious engine folks.

Dave
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

I agree, what a monster.

forged internals (as you say) and the Active Valve Control System(anything like VTEC?) and I'm guessing a closed deck, too. If that's all correct, then I'm guessing this 2.5 will have almost nothing in common with the EJ25. Any thoughts?
'00 Impr RS - sold
Nate S
First Gear

Post by Nate S »

semi closed deck from what I understand.
I think I have the wife talked into trading our 02 wrx for the 04 sti :P now I just need to save up a down .. :shock:

nate
S-Squared Motorsports
Looking for aftermarket parts? Email me
nate@ss-ms.com - www.ss-ms.com
shop # 916 631 7440
92 turbo wagon / 02 wrx sedan
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I tell you guys, I would cut my left thumb off for a legacy wagon with the same power/drivetrain.

No joke, I would almost consider being homeless just to own it.

I still cant beleive 300 pound feet of torque at 4000 rpm :o :twisted:
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

I would, in all seriousness, give up my left nut for a STi. or better yet, a B4 with the same drivetrain.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Thankfully, no organ donations will be necessary :P ... $30,000 is a kick-ass price for this kind of performance... The WRX is already the best performance value in the U.S. of A!

P.S. Did you read in the Car and Driver that the Forester will get a downtuned version of this drivetrain, right after the STi gets here? The kids will have no faster ride to the soccer game!

*Formerly DerFahrer*

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Almost forgot, very important question: Does the new Impreza have the new front end as seen on the Japanese website, or is it still the bugeye look? Anybody know?

*Formerly DerFahrer*

totech
Second Gear

Post by totech »

It will have the new front end - I guess the bug eyes were not as popular world wide as they thought.
08 GE - SWP
96 BG - SGP
96 CX - EBP
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I second the guess that this 2.5 liter will have little to do with the current EJ25.

Subaru isn't known to mess around when turbocharging motors. The current EJ25 is essentially a bored and stroked naturally aspirated EJ22. The walls are thin, and the engine's simply not up to the task. Think about the EJ22T that's in the Legacy Turbo, or the one in the Impreza 22B, as compared to the naturally aspirated 22B.

All said, the OEM turbo parts for the new 2.5 liter (which I'd expect would be an EJ25T) will probably make a nice set of bolt-ons for the naturally aspirated EJ25s, but the actual turbo engine will probably be a beast.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I think Subaru will be smart with this. I've heard the saying "The EJ20 is bulletproof. The EJ25 is not", but that's b/c the EJ20 is built for high-boost, high-HP situations, same with the EJ22T. The NA EJ22 probably isn't good for aftermarket turbos anymore than the NA EJ25 (probably less so since the EJ25 can take a turbo)...

So I'm sure Subaru will make the EJ25 more durable in time-honored fashion as they did with the EJ20 and EJ22.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

You all are correct. The new 2.5T sounds very different from what I have in my RS.

This is from Subaru's site
The 2.5-liter horizontally opposed ("boxer") four-cylinder engine is based on a specially reinforced "semi-closed deck" engine block with forged aluminum alloy pistons, forged high-carbon steel connecting rods and sodium filled exhaust valves. This advanced powerplant incorporates Subaru AVCS (Active Valve Control System) variable valve timing technology to optimize the engine's volumetric efficiency throughout the rev band. This is the first application of this technology on a Subaru in North America.
"semi-closed deck" tells you the block is totally redesigned
"AVCS" tells you the heads will be totally redesigned
and it sounds like all the moving parts are beefed up too
'00 Impr RS - sold
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Ahhh, I got goosebumps just reading that :o ... You found this on the SOA website? Where? I need more!!!

If there's so much difference, does this really qualify as an EJ25? These two engines seem to have nothing in common...

*Formerly DerFahrer*

rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

If that gives you goose bumps, browse around
http://impreza.subaru.com

I think I found that engine info under "STI story" or "STI history" or something like that. After all, the engine is just part of the story :D
'00 Impr RS - sold
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

:D I really like the more aggressive front end,does 04' mean we'll see this this fall?because if so i need to do some emergancy financial planning!hows the availability look?i had heard not many sti would be released in the states :cry:
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

We get the I/C sprayer too! That's awesome...

I'm not sure about offering pw, pdl, pm standard but not a sound system... Don't mind not having the sound system, but seems pointless to have the other stuff...

I think for now I'm going to settle with the new WRX, since it has gotten rid of the only thing I don't like (Bugeyes!), and then move up to the STi later...

I ask the same question: This fall, it comes out?

*Formerly DerFahrer*

magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

I have heard that the WRC WRX uses this newer twin turbine turbo system, I heard that instead of using a blowoff valve and dumping extra boost pressure, it somehow dumps the extra boost pressure back into the intake side somewhere. Is this correct????? and if so , can we do something like this to our cars?

Mike
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale