Low cost paint job (I mean very low cost!)

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Low cost paint job (I mean very low cost!)

Post by dropdfocus »

Well, the weather here in PA has been exceptional, and I've decided to take advantage of it while I still can...

AND as of tonight, the car is 3/4 done being pained rattle can flat black via Wal-Mart's Color Place $.96 a can paint. So far with 4 rolls of free 3M body shop tape (aquired from the local car dealership's body shop I've been doing network wiring at), free stacks of old newspapers, Scotch-Brite green scuff pad, and 12 cans of paint.... My total for the paint job so far is......

*drum roll please*
$12.22 w/ PA sales tax!

I only used 3 of the 7 I purchased today. I haven't gotten to the hood, front bumper, or front fenders yet so 4 additional cans may need to be purchased yet. I'll have some step-by-step shots once it's all finished.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

you should post some pictures of your progress. :-D
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

OMG You must be joking... please be joking... was yours the white one? The one that said legacy where the JDM "RS Turbo" badge would go on the fender?
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Nope, not mine. This is mine:

This was Friday with my cell phone on because I was too lazy to go into the house and dig up my good camera:

Everything was remasked today so that the windows & trim were completely covered.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

Sweet! Flat black FTW!
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Flat is the new gloss or pink, however you choose to look at it. :mrgreen:
Jason
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

idk that its still in the 'new' category, but it's stealth for sure, and that's always in. . . Now just make the car fly!
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[/quote]
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Maybe I'll get past the radar guns and in return I won't get any speeding tickets with the car in "stealth" mode... :D

As for making the car fly, that's still in the works as time & money allow. Should only be a few more weeks at this rate.

Everything from the doors back is now painted. I will post up pictures later this afternoon. Right now I'm off to class & then to see my dad in the hospital as he gets out of surgery (removing his right kidney with a hockey puck size cancer section growing in it).
Jason
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Yeah, I noticed that you were painting it. I love the primer black myself, it looks good.

I was thinking about doing that to my Outback.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

Oh then sweet!

I had didnt know you meant that one... I just got mixed up!

Cool
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

You should finish it with high-heat bbq flat black :-D !

Sorry to hear about your dad :( . Hope he recovers well.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Flat black means it doesn't set off radar when coming in for a bombing run. Nice work send us a finished pict. Cheers, AW
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Well, got back from the hospital 30mins ago. He spent 8hrs in surgery to remove the kidney and the surrounding fatty tissue. He's recovering well in the ICU as they keep any eye on his stats over night. No clue if they got it all until a pathologist dissects it and sees how bad the cancerous area was.

Anywho, here are the pics I promised:
Jason
TheSubaruJunkie
Fourth Gear

Post by TheSubaruJunkie »

Where did the FMIC go?
1983 Subaru GL-10 Brat
1986 Toyota 4Runner
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

That's friggin' awesome, dude! I'm loving the full-color flat black shot, it looks fantastic! What do you hafta do to keep it up, though? Doesn't it fade, kinda?
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[/quote]
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

TheSubaruJunkie wrote:Where did the FMIC go?
I'll be running WRX stock parts until spring when I can break out the FMIC and the T3/T4 turbo. I still need to pick up 550cc injectors, TurboXS fuel management controller, 4 ply couplers, t-bolt clamps, AND have the piping redone from the intercooler (thanks to pictures of 92ss satinsvoice's FMIC install).
tris91ricer wrote:What do you hafta do to keep it up, though? Doesn't it fade, kinda?
Yes, the color does fade with time, but it is only until the spring when I can break the car back down (removing all possible body panels) and take it down to bare metal to be repainted. I want to do gun metal grey with blue or red metal flake in the clear coat.

The wheels are going to get broken down soon & powder coated bronze thanks to having all the equipment as a part of my side business of customizing cars.

All said & done, the paint job will have cost me less than $20. And who cares if it gets scratched or something flakes off. A $.96 can of paint will fix that. :-D
Jason
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Gotta love the flat black- Welcome to the club!
I bought some rims from a guy who painted them gunmetal with some type of pearl mixed in. It was awesome, would have been great for an entire car.
SUBARUEHS Racing
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Yeah, I've always been a big fan of silver & dark grey cars. If figure a little metal flake mixed in would kinda set off the paint job. Of course bronze colored wheels look damn good on just about anything (wanted gold, but it's soooo over done on Subarus).
Jason
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

since my SS got the crap smacked out of it in a hailstorm a few weeks ago i am tempted to do this to my car. but with a gun and using a semi-gloss black.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
Kowalski
First Gear

Post by Kowalski »

oooooooo i posted a topic a while ago about doing this to see what people thought...and i must say, that came out really nice! i'll have to break out the spraycans after i figure out my misfire

also: wutup PA poster
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Glad everyone has taken a liking to it. I am pleased with the results.
Jason
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

any new pictures?
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

I was in Houston over the weekend for a buddy's wedding, so I didn't get to paint the fenders & hood yet. That will happen this week either way. I'll post up more pics as they become available. :cool:
Jason
91riored
In Neutral

Post by 91riored »

looks great !!!!i was thinking about flat camoing the outback wagon but was told by a friend that it will just make cops want to pull me over moreI'd loose the soccermom stealthness of the car.. i might just do it now
i guess i'm the forum a-hole now
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Slightly new pics:

I'm going back to the FMIC and putting on an N/A scoopless hood and possibly an N/A wingless trunk lid too. Project Stealth is in effect! :twisted:
Jason