Subaru TecNICO International AGAIN!!!!!!!

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Subaru TecNICO International AGAIN!!!!!!!

Post by NICO »

well this is what happens when you go over the speed limt bye 50kms :D

no i am kidding!!!

this is what happens when you wake up sunday morning and start your baby up and KABOOOMMMMMMMMM.

its a first for me.......its all ways been!! pistons an trannys, pistons an trannys........i stick forged pistons an a sti 6mt tranny in an then my rods blow up.......i am never going to win am i..........just imagine the freedom of winning lotto 649 lol lol

fucked up rod angle 1 + see the right side is missing a chunck also lol

fucked up rod angle 2

fucked up rod angle 3

forged pistons with half a conecting rod lol

hole in the left side of block

hole in the right side of the block

aluminum EVERYWHERE!!

the oldest ej22t block i had with over a million kms on it......should have got new rods and crank fuck......where do we go from here!!!

forged rods? anyone know who makes the best and where do i get them?
also crank forged + all bearings......cosworth??? or some one else? i heard sti makes rods part #s.

also i am useing another ej22t block so it must work for ej22t block.
All_talk
Third Gear

Post by All_talk »

Were those the stock EJ22T rods? What kind of power were you putting down and at what RPM?

The stock STI rods are the same length and journal size as the EJ22T rods so those might be an option.

Beyond that you can go aftermarket, Scat, Eagle, Pauter, Carrillo... you get what you pay for.

On the crank, unless you are shooting for more that 400/450 cHP the stock crank should be fine. But you cab so aftermarket on that to if you wanna get crazy.

Gary
No matter how broke I am... I always seem to find two cents.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

^^ yup they where very very old stock ej22t rods, i made around 330whp at 6000rpms.

i was thinking of strokeing the next block, or should i stick wit the normal set up??

for strokeing it i need sti 2.5l rods and crank is that right?
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

well i did a search on what i need and no one knows for sure what is going on for strokers.

so i take it i cant use the new sti2.5l crank is this right?

if i use a 2.5rs crank it will work but how well are they made? i dont want to build this up and then blow a crank after i stick forged rods an pistons.

or this is my other plan that i think i should stick with cuz i was happy with the power i made..........get a new piston for the one i blew up and get forged rods and forged crank that work stock size for the ej22t.........but what ones can i use???
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

I would go with stock. The crank in your car was forged. the rods arent spectacular, so I would pick up the crower rods. Most N/A 2.2 liters were built with forged sti crankshafts and rods that were laying around. so you could split a few of those open and see what you get
Kickin' it old-school.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Yeah, I think an upgraded crank would be unnecessary. Maybe having it balanced better wouldn't hurt if you're running high rpms. The 2.2 crank is short, forged, with good sized bearings and overlap and the mains are completely encapsulated within the block. Definitely new rods. You could try to fix that broken one with a soldering iron, but I don't think it would hold up too long.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
All_talk
Third Gear

Post by All_talk »

NICO I WRX U wrote:well i did a search on what i need and no one knows for sure what is going on for strokers...
I wouldn't say that, I'm building a stroker right now and I've done a lot of home work. What do you wanna know?

Yes, you can use the Sti 2.5 crank, but you have to machine the block for the thrust bearing on #5. Phase I blocks have the thrust on #3.

I'm using the Wiseco pistons for the EJ22T stroker, which are designed to use the 5.181 long rods and crank from the phase I EJ25 DOHC ('96-'98 ), these have the smaller rod journal.

I am going to machine my block for thrust on #5 and run the Sti crank for the bigger rod bearings and better oiling (cross drilled). I haven't made the final decision on rods, I can run the Phase II EJ25 SOHC rods with the 5.167 length (gives 8.5:1 CR) or the Sti with the 5.137 length (8.0:1). I'm leaning tword the Sti rods but they will expose more of the oil ring to the wrist pin access hole. Crawford says this is not an issue, I'm still waiting to here back from Wiseco on the matter.

BTW the EJ18, JDM EJ20 , EJ22, EJ22T, WRX EJ20 and Sti EJ25 all use the 5.137 rod length.

Gary
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

Arctic Assassian: yup i got extra ej22t blocks so i will be ok for a good orginal crank, but i got a set of carrillo rods comeing in.

evolutionmovement: that is to funny hahahahahha o shit cant stop laughing.

All_talk: see you just gave me the most strightest answer i have read all day on that set up, other pepole have no clue what they are talking about run around talk.........thank you cuz now i dont have a sti crank and rods in my hands that i have to sell or pay for and not stuck with.

ok guys i got a new piston comeing in and carrillo rods, arp head studs, j&sknock control vampire, what else should i get??
All_talk
Third Gear

Post by All_talk »

Wow Nico, I wish I had your budget.

Gary
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Damn you nico!!!! Now you have me freaking out because thats the power level I think I should be closes to and I used the stock rods. I sont have your budget or a spare block. ERRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!
2011 Mini Countryman S All4
1970 Honda Ct90
2001 Forester S of Doom - mowed down by a Cummins
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

^^ i had that motor 15years and over a million kms so it could be old or week or they really are shit. i learnt my lession

just got a link on acl bearings racing bearings, cosworth gets these bearings. my friend on toronto subaru club told me i just got them for our ej22t motors also.

http://www.aclperformance.com.au/us/Sub ... ingsus.htm
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

Well after opening the block this mornning, everything is fucked up. would put pics up but i dont want pepole to have tears in there eyes lol.

so the new plan is = WE STROKEN THIS BITCH, new forged stroker pistons, new forged stroker rods, new forged stroke crank.
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

Nico:
I am truly sorry to see you engine crater like this. However, the weakness of those rods is something the guys on NASIOC revealed a few years back. The safe power limit on those rods is sort of agreed to be 350chp. That's really only 260-270whp. Anything beyond that seems to be a timebomb. The crank is bulletproof. It wasn't a matter of them throwing leftover STi cranks into out engines. It's a matter of there was no difference between a non-Sti and an STi crank in early days other than the fact that cranks that STi touched were knife edged and dynamically balanced to the rods and flywheel. Otherwise, they were the same starting parts. Just search on Nasioc in built motors under my name, and "Ej18" "crank" "sti" and "same". Sponaugle posts part numbers for all the early rods and cranks in that thread...

As for info on stroking? There's a couple of really good threads here in this forum. Beyond that, you could go staight to the source:

Axispowerracing
Crawford Performance

Those two shops have probably stroked more ej22T blocks than anyone else in North America. They even sell "kits" to do it on your own block. Quirt Crawford in particular is a very helpful guy and will talk to you about it if you call him up...
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

^^ You're pretty much THE MAN!
Kickin' it old-school.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

thanks matt for all the info, i got comeing in wiseco stroker pistons and k1 forged rods and there crank.......do you think they are a good company to get stuff from?

wiseco canada is there dealer and are getting me all that stuff its very good price right now cuz of the doller being so high....but i really dont know about k1.......the guy at wiseco siad its made in china then reworked at k1.

one more thing i want bullet proof to the max what you think i should get the guy is going to order all this on monday so i got time to let him know.............and how much power should i get out this i had around 330?? what you think i will have with a stroker.
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

How big are you going?
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

i am going .020 over in piston size stroked.

turbo is a aps56 turbo
aps exhuste no cats
850cc injectors
aps huge front mount
perrien water meth inj

i made 330whp so what would a stroker make 400whp? anyone?
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

NICO I WRX U wrote:
Whatever it decides to make... :D

I'm sure 400whp is attainable with the stroker...
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

I'm really surprised your 2.2 did not make more than 330WHP before, how much boost were you running?

Someone I know has a USDM WRX swapped GC8 that made 363WHP on a stock longblock & made 311+WHP for 40,000 miles.
When it finally blew (#2 - 60psi compression) it still made 306WHP down from the 363WHP it was making.

I've seen a few vids of this car when the owner used to track it running 12.11 1/4s @ the 311WHP level. He got tired of breaking trannys & rears so he has stopped going to the track.

Anyway goodluck with the build, I hope it makes ALOT of HP!
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

555BCTurbo wrote:
NICO I WRX U wrote:
Whatever it decides to make... :D

I'm sure 400whp is attainable with the stroker...
true say nick lol lol i could care less anymore getting old now.

bsxx: i ran 17psi stock boost from the turbo......i hope it last long bxss and thank you.

i hope i can make it to florida stay 3months and make it back thats all i ask.
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Thats pretty conservative boost for you NICO.
The WRX'd GC8 above runs 23psi, but I'm not sure which turbo is on the car - I do know it was not stock.
I think 23psi would have put your old motor(2.2) in the 390-400WHP range, which seems about right comparing it to the 363WHP 2.0 above.

I'm sure your new motor will last a long time, just don't go crazy street racing in FL.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

^^ 17psi was good for me lol, i was trying not to blow it apart right away............. another thing was it got real cold where i lived and the boost would spike to 19psi.

nothing seems to go right for me, i just got news that my wiseco canadian dealer cant get in the stroker rods.....it takes months for them to get in................so no stroker for me shit!!! i really wanted to try it.

so .020 over stander size wiseco pistons agian!!! but carrilo forged h rods.............and stock ej22t crank????????????

please some one tell me now will the stock ej22t crank handle this power and survie a nuckuler bomb????????? anyone all you guys everyone i want a reaction yes or no?????

also the crank is a 1991 legacy turbo.....it was used for 180,000kms.......... then i used it for dohc set up......... i put 80,000kms on top of the 180,000kms with this set up.........then blew a piston and left it sitting around with out the dohc heads on............ becuse i built another ej22t block up that i blew up on the top of this page................ so the crank is used for about 260,000kms will it hold up??? or its going to snap in half and blow my motor agian???????
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

That crank is strong. Breaking is not the problem, just make sure all your bearing surfaces are true. Measure tight tolerances while putting it together and you'll be golden. Rods take load, crankshafts just spin, its the bearings that take the load for them. The main cause of crankshaft failure is due to out-of-balance. Even a crappily turned flywheel can cause a deflection great enough to rip that thing out your block. Take that thing to a machine shop that you trust, have them measure it and balance it with your flywheel cluth setup. Its a small price to pay for certainty, and the only way its going to happen short of buying a new one. I hope you make the right decision. peace.
-Adam
Kickin' it old-school.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

^^ perfect thanks for the info Adam.

now i just sit and wiat for parts to come in.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

well the stuff came in. i swear it better last a very very very very very long time.

wiseco pistons
carrillo h rods
acl race bearings

now got to send it all to the machine shop for boreing and balancing of the hole thing........ sit and wait for all that......then put it back together, put motor in car, break motor in, get it tuned, drvie the shit out of it and wiat till it all blows up agian.