DP and O2 sensor questions?

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

courtjesterclown
First Gear

DP and O2 sensor questions?

Post by courtjesterclown »

So i've located a stock STI downpipe from a friend that is gonna sell it to me for next to nothing. I searched the downpipes, and it seems that most people use the wrx downpipe, but is it the same as an STI downpipe? Also, are these 3inch in diameter all the way through? ANd will the STI downpipe bolt directly on to my stock ej22t turbo?

Will there be a bung i can install my stock 02 sensor back in? so i wont be tripping CEL codes.

And another thing, if i buy one of those 40 dollar ebay fart cannons, will they really sound that bad. Im not lookin into a world class sound here, just somethin to give me that good boxer rumble.
createnew
First Gear

Post by createnew »

The DP will bolt up to the turbo fine. I don't know about after the DP. There won't be an O2 bung at the top. I think they're only like 2.5" at the most. And the ebay coffee cans sound just fine. :)
Yellow '01 Kaw. ZX-7R (SOLD) :(
Gold '88 Starion ESI-R (Drift Project)
Brgndy '92 Legacy SS, Agency Power Style Headers and Up-pipe (ebay, don't stay together), Underdrive Pully, 5MT conv, mod'd WRX cold air intake and short shifter, 12.5 lb fly
courtjesterclown
First Gear

awesome, so hopefully i can plug off the bung at the back of the downpipe and weld a new one near the top stock location. haha, that sounds so dirty doesnt it. oh im an idiot.
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

If I recall... You need to add spot for the second 02 sensor that these ECUs need...
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

smh0101 wrote:If I recall... You need to add spot for the second 02 sensor that these ECUs need...

Our cars only have one O2...as they are OBD1

STis have 2...as they are OBD2...

So...you could either plug the bottom sensor bung or just extend the wires on your sensor...with the latter being easier in my book.
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

555BCTurbo wrote:
smh0101 wrote:If I recall... You need to add spot for the second 02 sensor that these ECUs need...

Our cars only have one O2...as they are OBD1

STis have 2...as they are OBD2...

So...you could either plug the bottom sensor bung or just extend the wires on your sensor...with the latter being easier in my book.
Huh, cool...

I thought it was the other way... Thanks for correcting me (That isnt sarcastic).
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

smh0101 wrote:

I thought it was the other way... Thanks for correcting me (That isnt sarcastic).
No problem...

The second sensor on the OBD2 cars is simply for measuring cat efficiency...it's really quite rediculous...

The primary one still does the open loop fuel trimming, just like the one in the Legacy Turbo
Nick

courtjesterclown
First Gear

Alright, thats for clearing that up fellas. looks like i'll just extend the wires down to fit the bung on the wrx dp. Im assuming they are the same size bungs right?
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

courtjesterclown wrote:Alright, thats for clearing that up fellas. looks like i'll just extend the wires down to fit the bung on the wrx dp. Im assuming they are the same size bungs right?
Yeah, it's generally an industry standard size
Nick

Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Where do you run the wires and what do you wrap them in running down next to the hot pipe?

Or do I have that all wrong?...
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Generally, the O2 sensor is run along the tranny in various hooks and stuff.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

555BCTurbo wrote:
smh0101 wrote:

No problem...

The second sensor on the OBD2 cars is simply for measuring cat efficiency...it's really quite rediculous...

The primary one still does the open loop fuel trimming, just like the one in the Legacy Turbo
It was my impression for the Subaru manual that the O2 sensor was for closed loop fueling. Just because they are a narrow band O2 so they look specifically for 14.7:1 and and It can only read very little in either direction rich or lean.

and as far as extending the wires, I was talking with one of the GM techs at work and as far as GM is concerned, splicing in wire to an O2 sensor opens up the wire itself to reading more oxygen. With subaru you can get around this if you have the 4 pin O2 sensor. I think it is 96-99 outbacks have a 3.5-4 foot extension harness for the O2 sensor. No gaurantee that it works, but I am pretty sure. I have one sitting in my bay at work.

But before I knew that...I extended the wires myself as well....
2011 Mini Countryman S All4
1970 Honda Ct90
2001 Forester S of Doom - mowed down by a Cummins
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yes, you're right; closed loop is the one that uses the sensor.

The idea that extending the wires opens up the wire to reading more oxygen doesn't make any sense. Don't worry about it. Just make sure you don't get any solder or anything else on the sensor itself. That's not a big worry, because most sensors these days have wires made of an alloy that you can't really solder to, so you have to crimp instead.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

ok. Thanks vrg3. I didn't understand the oxygen on the wire thing myself...
2011 Mini Countryman S All4
1970 Honda Ct90
2001 Forester S of Doom - mowed down by a Cummins
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Does the STI DP have a cat in it? If so it wouldnt make any sense to extend your O2 sensor to it, the car would run EXTREMELY rich that way.

As far as splicing wires,,, most manufacturers of O2 sensors sell "universal" replacements which include splicing aids. The Bosch universals are best, both because they are OE parts and also the splicing block they provide is very high quality and waterproof!
courtjesterclown
First Gear

So im thinking just splicing into the wires and extending them is far easier that welding up the old 02 bung and cutting and welding in a new one. When i splice it, should i be using any particular type of wire? same size, same material. will the basic wire crimps work to splice?
1994 SS 4EAT Aegean Blue Metallic
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Regular automotive hookup wire will be fine.

You'll need a very good crimper; the sensor's wires are made of a very tough alloy. Use waterproof crimp connectors.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
courtjesterclown
First Gear

ok. another thing, since the sensor is going to be in a new area and the new downpipe has no cat, this combo will still throw a CEL wont it? Also, if i install the downpipe and get the sensor hooked up properly, would it be ok to run it with just a downpipe for a day or two till i can get the rest of the system fabbed up. Or should i see if the exhaust place will put the downpipe on at the same time that they fab the system up?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

courtjesterclown wrote:ok. another thing, since the sensor is going to be in a new area and the new downpipe has no cat, this combo will still throw a CEL wont it?
No. Our ECUs don't monitor catalytic converters at all.
Also, if i install the downpipe and get the sensor hooked up properly, would it be ok to run it with just a downpipe for a day or two till i can get the rest of the system fabbed up.
If you're confident the hot, loud, poisonous exhaust coming out that part of the car won't hurt anything.
courtjesterclown
First Gear

yea, i kno there are some definite dangers in running it with just a downpipe. Im sorta thinking that im gonna have alot of trouble getting the old downpipe off because the nuts will be stuck. So should i attempt it myself or let the shop fool with it.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

It might overheat the transmission or melt the rubber on the buttom of the car but otherwise it should be fine.
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

bmxpunk wrote:
555BCTurbo wrote:
smh0101 wrote:

No problem...

It was my impression for the Subaru manual that the O2 sensor was for closed loop fueling. Just because they are a narrow band O2 so they look specifically for 14.7:1 and and It can only read very little in either direction rich or lean.
Yeah, you are totally right...I'm such a doofus...

Another fine instance of my brain thinking one thing and my fingers typing another :lol:

And Vikash...do you know what the specific alloy is that the wiring is made out of on the O2 sensors?
Nick

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

No, I don't. With the sensors I've dealt with, the metal in the wires kinda feels like stainless steel; it's very springy and you can't solder to it with rosin flux.
courtjesterclown
First Gear

So is it difficult to block off the WRX sensor bung and cut and weld a new bung in the top of the WRX downpipe? OR is it just gonna be easier to extend the O2 sensor wires.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Depends; what are you better with? Metalworking or electrical work?

Another option you have is to extend the wires on the car's harness rather than the sensor's harness. Those are plain old copper wires. It does mean cutting factory wires on your car though.