Sweeney Todd

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Sweeney Todd

Post by Aerotech »

As long as we're reviewing movies...

Pre-screened Sweeney Todd on Thursday. I thought it was enjoyable, & very well done. Extremely strange, as well; it's a dark-black musical comedy that's about as gory as anything I've ever seen.
Johnny Depp is very good, reprising his Jack Sparrow accent, as is Helena Bonham Carter, both made up to look like walking corpses; I kept getting Edward Scissorhands flashbacks... Sasha Baron Cohen (Borat) makes a suprise (and brilliant) appearance as a competing barber. Alan Rickman is the bad-guy Judge.
The English accents are a bit thick, pay attention if you want to understand the dialogue, unless you grew up watching Monty Python. The music and singing (and there's a lot of it) is top notch.

Don't bring the kids, or anyone squeamish about blood!
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Woah, they made a movie about the demon barber of Fleet Street? And with an all-star cast? Awesome!
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

I can't wait to see this movie.
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

Me either. Cheryl and I are JDepp fans, although I don't get what people see in him. I still respect that he's an incredible actor who brings some wicked personality to a production.

And I <3 Sasha, period. He's bril.
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I also saw it on Thursday. Unless you have a Costco membership I'd skip paying the 10$ to see it and wait until its a rental.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I saw it last night and loved it. Walked out of the theater with a big smile on my face. Seriously, when you can make a gothic movie that is both gory and funny, you get points in my book.

I hadn't heard of the legend before this, but upon doing some research, it looks like they stuck to the story very adamantly.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

I saw it on Saturday. It was like Psycho meets a musical. I don't really dig musicals. I was kind of surprised to see some of the stuff on the screen that I did. Some of the kills were just..absurd.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
Murphy
Third Gear

Post by Murphy »

so tomorrow im thinking of taking a girl to go see this. is this a good movie to take a girl you like to?

its not like SAW type gory is it? even i dont like that
growing up in Owensboro (JDs hometown), we have to sign a contract at birth saying that we will love all of his movies and worship him as god

...we might just go see Walk Hard, ive been wanting to see that too
1990 Legacy LS, 4EAT
1983 Peugeot 505S Turbo Diesel
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

First off, don't take a girl to a movie for a first date anyway.

Second, don't take her to THIS movie unless you know her really well. Yes, it is gory, to the point of being ridiculous (that's why I found it so funny). I'm fucked up in the head enough to enjoy it, but you may not, especially if you don't like the Saw movies.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Murphy
Third Gear

Post by Murphy »

its not the first time, we gone out several times, but we havent been to a movie yet, and i think id like to see this, and she likes musicals.
but she definitely doesnt like very gory movies though, i guess ill skip on it and try for Walk Hard or maybe Juno
thanks for the imput
1990 Legacy LS, 4EAT
1983 Peugeot 505S Turbo Diesel
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

Kudos to a great movie. Saw it xmas night.
. . . . Came out of the show, and I swear 100% of the 16-20 year old black population of St Pete was congregated there. Everyone all dressed up like they were headed to the club, not the movies at shopping center.

It's no surprise, but a shooting later takes place just outside the parking garage: http://www.tampabays10.com/news/local/a ... ryid=70550
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[/quote]
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Oh, the annual Kwanzaa Homicide?
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

I guess so!

It was just tough trying NOT to explain to grandma what went down, because she's an unconscious racist. We told her there were a ton of KIDS out, but not what color they were, lest she'd forbid us to go back there again after dark, haha.

Personally, I would have placed blame upon the Baywalk facility and the St Pete Police for not being out in force. There were rentacops out, and maybe one or two armed individuals inside the building. I'm willing to bet that there were at least twenty armed persons OUTSIDE the building, none of them legal or registered. You'd think that crime would at least take a break on Christmas, right?
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Christmas is the best time for crime.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

Well, some of us still have reverence for the sanctity of The Lord's day, sadly. I may have been all hopped up on steroids and moody as hell, but I bit my tongue, and I certainly wouldn't shoot anyone on Christmas! Some of these young G's know no God, and that's sad, because life as a thug relies heavily on something you cannot humanly manipulate.
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[/quote]