Any way to delete the charcoal canister?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Any way to delete the charcoal canister?

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I am trying to clear up as much real estate in the engine compartment, and this seems like a likely candidate for deletion. I am soon to be running an aftermarket standalone ECU, so it won't be able to control the purge solenoid anyway.

Anyone got any ideas?
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
internetautomart
Second Gear

Post by internetautomart »

take out canister and plug the lines. that's how we used to do it on old school hot rods
94 BC w/ AWD Sold 6/25/08
92 BJ Rust bucket gone
90 BC (I think) Stripper, gone since 2k
86 GL10 Turbo 4wd, Gone since 99
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

Just do a "U" on the in/out lines.
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

So run a line from where the hardline on the motor goes to the canister to the hardline that runs to the canister purge solenoid? Makes sense.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Really. What is this for? Any effect on performance???
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
scuzzy
Third Gear

Post by scuzzy »

Adam West wrote:Really. What is this for? Any effect on performance???
it shouldn't; it'll pull vapor from the fuel tank into the manifold but it shouldn't be enough to matter.

on our cars the purge solenoid is open when the car is above 3mph I believe; regardless of throttle position - personally I'm still running the N/A canister with a small vac one-way valve in the return line to the fuel tank to keep from pushing air into the tank when boosting.
91 Legacy Wagon, Total Rally Car.

#82 M4 TRSCCA Rallycross

http://www.youtube.com/mobilepolice/
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

It's an emissions-related device.

I don't think there would be any major benefits or detriments to removing it, except cleaning up the engine compartment and simplifying things.

I'm sure Vikash will disagree, but I look forward to his view of things.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

You guys must be made of money and just love spending it on gas. The canister collects evaporated fuel from the tank and stores it for later introduction into the engine. Gasoline evaporates quite rapidly. In the old days, they vented it to the atmosphere which is stupid on at least three levels. You can plug the lines together and you'll likely be fine, but keep in mind that in warm weather you could be building up some decent fumes in the intake tract. You will also probably get a CEL (definitely on OBD II) and will have trouble passing inspection if you live in a civilized state.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

What do you mean by 'building up some decent fumes in the intake tract'?

We don't have any inspections, so that's not a concern.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

If you just run the 'in' and 'out' hoses together, the evaporated gasoline will find their way into the intake tract rather than being stored in charcoal until a valve and engine vacuum pull them out for use. This would be more a concern in hot weather and I'm not sure if it would cause an issue or not, but the possibility, however remote, is there for intake ignition of the gases. The ECU would probably learn around any issues of an unexpected richness at start up.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The canister purge solenoid should not be open when the car is sitting, so you shouldn't get any build up of gasoline vapor in the intake manifold, however when the solenoid does open, you could in theory have an in-rush of vapor. Whether that would cause any issues....I don't know.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

scuzzy wrote:
on our cars the purge solenoid is open when the car is above 3mph I believe; regardless of throttle position - personally I'm still running the N/A canister with a small vac one-way valve in the return line to the fuel tank to keep from pushing air into the tank when boosting.
The statement about the purge solenoid being open when the car is above 3mph is not correct. I'd have to look in the manuals for the details, but I believe it opens when throttle is above a certain point for a certain duration, typically during "cruising". The port where the purge solenoid connects to the throttle body has no vacuum when the throttle plate is closed, so I can't see the solenoid being open during that situation.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Oh, right! Dammit, I was thinking the valve was incorporated into the canister.

So the vapors would build up inside the tank, then. You wouldn't want to leave the car in the sun over a vacation, I would guess. The old cars had vented gas caps, but today's are pressurized. I suppose you could leave the cap partially open, but the risk, pollution, and cost in expensive evaporated gasoline would make that kind of a dumb solution. I'm pretty sure OBD I doesn't throw a code for it, though.
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Legacy777 wrote:The statement about the purge solenoid being open when the car is above 3mph is not correct. I'd have to look in the manuals for the details, but I believe it opens when throttle is above a certain point for a certain duration, typically during "cruising". The port where the purge solenoid connects to the throttle body has no vacuum when the throttle plate is closed, so I can't see the solenoid being open during that situation.
Straight from my '91 FSM:

The ECU receives signals emitted from the water temp sensor, vehicle speed sensor and crank angle sensor to control the purge control solenoid.

The purge line is connected to the throttle chamber to purge fuel evaporation gas from the canister according to the amount of intake air.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Can anyone think of any reason not to simply plug both lines? Other than a possible build-up of pressure in the tank when the car is sitting for long periods of time in warm weather, I can't.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Plug it up? How to do? Chewing gum...a la McGiver????

AW
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

internetautomart wrote:take out canister and plug the lines. that's how we used to do it on old school hot rods
No. That won't allow any way for vapors to get out of the fuel tank. You don't want your tank pressurized.
douglas vincent wrote:Just do a "U" on the in/out lines.
You could give that a try; it may mess a little with air/fuel ratios sometimes, causing rough idling, but it may not be a big deal. On a turbo model, you actually have three lines. You could cap the auxiliary one and put a check valve in between the other two, or you could just connect the auxiliary line to the inlet line and cap the remaining one.
evolutionmovement wrote:In the old days, they vented it to the atmosphere which is stupid on at least three levels.
Right. If you do want to get rid of the system, though, the way to do it is to vent to the atmosphere. If you're okay with continuously venting expensive, carcinogenic, poisonous, and inflamable hydrocarbons to the air, that'll do the trick.

So your standalone ECU doesn't have a single spare solenoid control that you could use to drive the purge solenoid?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

it may, but i haven't figured out how to do so yet.

it has several extra injector drivers that aren't in use that can be used for aux outputs, but I can't seem to find the options to use them as such.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

IronMonkeyL255 wrote:it may, but i haven't figured out how to do so yet.

it has several extra injector drivers that aren't in use that can be used for aux outputs, but I can't seem to find the options to use them as such.
All you really need is a setpoint control...and my Perfect Power has those...so your Autronic has to...
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I figured it out.

I just have only been messing with the software, so I can't really see what the changes I make do to the car.

I need to get some cash so I can get this thing installed.....

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
scuzzy
Third Gear

Post by scuzzy »

Legacy777 wrote:
scuzzy wrote:
The statement about the purge solenoid being open when the car is above 3mph is not correct. I'd have to look in the manuals for the details, but I believe it opens when throttle is above a certain point for a certain duration, typically during "cruising". The port where the purge solenoid connects to the throttle body has no vacuum when the throttle plate is closed, so I can't see the solenoid being open during that situation.
When using the scan tool on my ECU the purge solenoid opens regardless of throttle input and only when the car is rolling better than 3mph. I watched this very close several times. I don't know about your engine but my purge solenoid is connected to a vac line on the 3rd cylinder intake runner and is always exposed to vac and boost; I teed my recirc valve into this line and put a one-way vac check valve at the purge valve<->canister connection to keep air from flowing back towards the canister and into the fuel tank.

I dunno about you, but when I was digging around at all of this and fiddling with the lines with the engine running on a warm day, I got a very strong fuel vapor smell and decided to leave the system connected.
91 Legacy Wagon, Total Rally Car.

#82 M4 TRSCCA Rallycross

http://www.youtube.com/mobilepolice/
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

if you want to remove the canister and loop the lines you need to get a vented gas cap so the pressure can escape from the tank. Not doing so is very dangerous and will easily cause an explosion if the tank is compromised during a collision or there is a fire.

the better way (and more environmentally friendly way) to do it is to locate the canister in a place that you don't see (I usually put mine inside the fender, sometimes getting one from another car is needed to fit right) and use a check valve. Older cars had valves to control the purge before ecu controlled solenoids came to be popular. If you put a check valve (needed on boosted applications) to ensure you don't pressurize the canister during boost, and use one of these old staged valves or a small orifice to draw into the intake under vacuum you'll still have all the benefits of the emissions control, you won't have a pressurized gas tank, you won't have crap in your engine bay and you can still run your standalone.

Now make sure you keep your pcv there too if you're going on an emissions removal rampage, that's another topic though that I'm sure I've commented on before :)
- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

scuzzy wrote:When using the scan tool on my ECU the purge solenoid opens regardless of throttle input and only when the car is rolling better than 3mph. I watched this very close several times. I don't know about your engine but my purge solenoid is connected to a vac line on the 3rd cylinder intake runner and is always exposed to vac and boost; I teed my recirc valve into this line and put a one-way vac check valve at the purge valve<->canister connection to keep air from flowing back towards the canister and into the fuel tank.

I dunno about you, but when I was digging around at all of this and fiddling with the lines with the engine running on a warm day, I got a very strong fuel vapor smell and decided to leave the system connected.
Hmm....sounds like yours is hooked up differently. That vac line on the 3rd cylinder intake runner is for the fuel pressure regulator. The purge solenoid sits right next to it though.

You can see in a couple of these pictures where the line ties into the vac line at the top of the throttle body.
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... injectors/
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... P_2466.JPG
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... P_2470.JPG
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... P_2471.JPG
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... P_2493.JPG
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... P_2501.JPG
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT