Removing ABS!

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

93TurboLegacy
In Neutral

Removing ABS!

Post by 93TurboLegacy »

How would you go about removing the ABS out of a 93 SS? The ABS light stays on and I just want to get rid of the whole system.
EJ22T
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If all you want to do is get rid of the light, remove the ABS computer. It's under the little tray portion in the front of the center console.

Why don't you check to see why the light is on?
http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... bsdiag.jpg
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

Any luck?? Post your results Im interested in what you found.
Thanks, Ben
1992 SS 5MT
She's growing faster in her old age!
internetautomart
Second Gear

Re: Removing ABS!

Post by internetautomart »

93TurboLegacy wrote:How would you go about removing the ABS out of a 93 SS? The ABS light stays on and I just want to get rid of the whole system.
you realize that if the light is on, the ABS is not functional.
I'd just pull the fuse from the ABS to make sure it doesn't reactivate, and pull the bulb from the dash.
94 BC w/ AWD Sold 6/25/08
92 BJ Rust bucket gone
90 BC (I think) Stripper, gone since 2k
86 GL10 Turbo 4wd, Gone since 99
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

[quote=you realize that if the light is on, the ABS is not functional.
I'd just pull the fuse from the ABS to make sure it doesn't reactivate, and pull the bulb from the dash.[/quote]

So if your gonna do that, as I did, you may as well figure out how to pull it all out and run with a little less junk under the bonnet right?
1992 SS 5MT
internetautomart
Second Gear

Post by internetautomart »

New92 wrote:[quote=you realize that if the light is on, the ABS is not functional.
I'd just pull the fuse from the ABS to make sure it doesn't reactivate, and pull the bulb from the dash.
So if your gonna do that, as I did, you may as well figure out how to pull it all out and run with a little less junk under the bonnet right?[/quote]
do you want to replumb your brake lines?
I wouldn't want, so I'd just leave it intact.
not like you're racing the car and lbs counts
94 BC w/ AWD Sold 6/25/08
92 BJ Rust bucket gone
90 BC (I think) Stripper, gone since 2k
86 GL10 Turbo 4wd, Gone since 99
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

There's going to be a lot more work involved to remove the ABS rather than just disable it.

If you've got time for it, go ahead and do it. The hardest part will be changing the brake lines.
SUBARUEHS Racing
mattyg41383
First Gear

Post by mattyg41383 »

We removed the ABS unit from my car when I got it. The unit was leaking and between not wanting to replace it and not wanting it in the first place, we pulled it. Replumbing wasnt that complicated, just put some T fittings in. I'll check and see if i have any photos when i get home (late tonight, if i remember).

when i took it to street night at the track last year, the tech guy was like "whats going on there?" Told him the deal, and he said, hmm OK cool.
-Matt
1993 Legacy SS - auto
1997 Impreza coupe
1986 XT - 14.5s @ 95mph
1990 Legacy wagon "the Red Dragon" -sold (300K miles and it lives on)
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

internetautomart wrote:
New92 wrote:[quote=you realize that if the light is on, the ABS is not functional.
So if your gonna do that, as I did, you may as well figure out how to pull it all out and run with a little less junk under the bonnet right?
do you want to replumb your brake lines?
I wouldn't want, so I'd just leave it intact.
not like you're racing the car and lbs counts[/quote]

I understand what you are saying however for those of us old farts who learned to drive without it, it would be nice to get a good description on how to delete it. :-)
1992 SS 5MT
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

I know this is a OLD thread but oh well. We plan on eliminating the ABS out of our 91' sometime in the near future. Our car will be raced so every pound does count to us! We have some things we want to try, so we will see what happens! Most likely we will just eliminate it all and run new lines. We will need to figure out the proportioning valve and what not but I do not think that will be a big issue.
[b][color=white]-Ryan-[/color][/b]
"We live for a good time, not for a long time." -Colin Mcrae

[url=http://wrxmodders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15103]Project RallyX: 1991 Turbo Legacy[/url]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Just leave your ABS in.

Running new lines isn't going to be fun. The ABS pump may save you 10 lbs of sprung weight, which is nothing.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

Rerouting lines is fairly easy if you know what you are doing, plus the motor and transmission are already out of the car anyways so its just that much easier. The ABS kinda sits in a bad spot under the hood anyways, I would love to have that space for something else other then a non functioning ABS unit that is nothing more then dead weight.

Every pound counts, especialy when you are trying to be competitive! We will be adding weight with some frame/body reinforcements, so all the weight we can get out now the better I say.

This is not a DD car or anything, just a project car here at the shop. So we have all the tools, and racks you can ask for to get the job done, and done right.
Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

I'm considering doing the same thing because my ABS doesn't work, and I have no desire to have it work, plus like you said, it's in a stupid spot. Next time I am at the junk yard I am going to look at the lines from a NON-ABS legacy and see what they did with the lines.

as for the proportioning valve, I would just use a summit racing, or wilwood inline valve. I used a summit racing valve on my 4runner when I bypasses all the factory BS and it worked great!
92' SS: SOLD
98' 2.5GT SOLD, bought back, new stupid build in the works.
98' 2.5 GT-rx :bought not built
gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

Post by gt2.5turbo »

I pulled a single stage booster, 3 port master, the engine bay lines, and the proportioning valve from a early FWD legacy. Went right in and the brake feel is way better than my old setup with the abs. Plus I needed to use the extra space for my setup.

93 White Legacy Turbo Wagon: For Sale-ish
93 White Turbo Sedan: soon with a little more umf
91, funky brown purple gray color, legacy L Wagon: the "its so cheap i cant not pass it up" purchase to get me around when the others are down
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

^^^ My '92 SS had the ABS removed by the PO, and he just used lines from a non-ABS Legacy. Now that I've re-routed the lines to where they should sit, it looks just like gt2.5turbo's setup, except that there was a hill-holder flopping around by the steering column. I got a tee and deleted that too.
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

That is one reason I'm kinda glad I got a FWD Legacy for my project car. Less BS.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

93forestpearl wrote:That is one reason I'm kinda glad I got a FWD Legacy for my project car. Less BS.
True.

I had less BS to start out with since mine was FWD too :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

Post by gt2.5turbo »

Yeah i didnt have a motor in my engine bay for a while and so it was pretty easy for me to swap everything out.
91, funky brown purple gray color, legacy L Wagon: the "its so cheap i cant not pass it up" purchase to get me around when the others are down
92 Rally
First Gear

Post by 92 Rally »

Took out our ABS pump and harness tonight!

Grand total weight savings = 20lbs 7oz!!

gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

Post by gt2.5turbo »

thanks for weighing that i was a little curious as to what it might weigh..
adema2626
Second Gear

Post by adema2626 »

I wanna get rid of mine in my 95 Impreza. It makes having a cone air filter a bitch when you have intercooler piping in the way and the ABS pump.
-Aaron
93 Imp wag, 94 Imp wag WRX swap, 99 Imp Sedan WRX swap, 01 Imp Outback Sport, 05 Outback XT, 00 Outback, 98 Outback, 93 Leg touring, 93 Leg wag, 94 Leg wag lifted ej22t swap, 79 Brat 4x4 EA81 4spd d/r swap, 97 Crown Vic lifted
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

What is even more lamo is the stock placement of the proportioning valve. Move it around the tower a hair and you're in business.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

I've decided when I pull my motor for the dohc swap, I'm going to put an after market proportioning valve in, and get rid of all the factory BS and start over and make it make sense.
92' SS: SOLD
98' 2.5GT SOLD, bought back, new stupid build in the works.
98' 2.5 GT-rx :bought not built