Article in magazine?

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jefferson
Third Gear

Article in magazine?

Post by jefferson »

I have a small blurb with a picture that I cut out of a Hot Rod magazine from November of 89. It has to do with the 100,000 km record setting Legacy. What I am curious about is in this article it states that driver Steve Millen did 161 mph in some magazines "supercar" test. I would like to find all info I can on this particular article. I don't know what magazine it was that did this test. If i could get this info I could call them and take it from there. I am really hoping someone knows or has this article. Thanks

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

Waiting to hear back from a guy at Stillen that is going to check with Steve to see if he remembers. Also have calls into Car & Driver and Road & Track. Hopefully someone will come up with something. Then I will just have to track down one of the magazines.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
speedoboy31
First Gear

Post by speedoboy31 »

i remember reading an article that stated that during the 100,000 stretch, the legacy averaged 138 mph. i think i did a web search and it was in a wikipedia article.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I have a picture of me sitting in the red one as a kid.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

Thats really cool. Where did this occur? Was the car in a museum or something?

I contacted SOA to see if they knew what happened to the cars. I would like to know if there is one of these in a museum somewhere. They weren't much help.

Jeff
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

It was at Gauthier Motors in Salem MA. Friends of the family owned the place, but they've been gone for years.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

As an update

Steve Millen remembered the magazine and I found one on ebay. Won the bid a little bit a go and can't wait to get the thing to see what they had to say. I hope they have some good pictures as well.

The magazine was an 89 issue of Road and Track specials. Supercar was spelled out across the front, and the Subaru is at the back in the picture on the cover.

Jeff
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Which car was it? IIRC, there were several of them and they were painted differently.
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

The one on the cover is the red one. There was also a white and a yellow car involved.

I believe the white one is the one that set the 100,000km record while the other cars set some other records.

Jeff
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Yeah, I remember a white one (from pictures - they only sent one car to each dealership for display). I thought there was a silver one, but maybe not since I wasn't really interested in Subarus at the time - I preferred their Mercedes and Saab turbos (stupid kid). Post some pictures of the magazine when you get it.
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

evolutionmovement wrote:\I preferred their Mercedes and Saab turbos (stupid kid). Post some pictures of the magazine when you get it.
haha lol... I was always into corvettes and camaros before my grandparents got their legacy.
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Cool. I'm sure we'd all appreciate some scans of the article when you get it. I know I would.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

If you search on youtube you wil find a good video of the record attemp. Type in (legacy 100,000) and it comes right up. Quality could be better and the narration is in German though.

I would like to have a set of those wheels they used just because of what they are. They should have made quite a few seeing as how they had 3 cars and spares for tire changes.

Jeff
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

Just a heads up. Keep abreast of the car reviews section. Something interesting may pop up.

Jeff
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

My car came with a booklet, presumably from the dealership, of like 4 articles on the car, I'll see if I can scan them when I get back to school. In the meantime, since this thread is a year old anyway, here's an article I got from a VR4 guy on bimmerforums

beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Good read. Classic Phillips. Thanks for the scans.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

Would you happen to know the month and year of that issue? I need to get that for my collection.

Jeff
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

"Gratuitous chrome accents" indeed... the one real problem I have with the car's styling. Belongs on a '78 Caprice.

Anyone else notice the similarity in appearance to the Maxima, particularly the rear... My car especially, where I have blacked out the white areas of the tail garnish, looks almost identical.
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

What about,"With the most favorable weight distribution of the group..."!?!Makes you wonder if they actually corner-weighted them.

"4WGE- Four-Wheel Goddamn Everything"
I wish 'editors' still had the ka-jones to write like this.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

jefferson wrote:Would you happen to know the month and year of that issue? I need to get that for my collection.

Jeff
The guy that sent it to me said September 1991. Sorry haven't had a chance to scan the others.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

beatersubi, if you like cursing in your automobile rags, subscribe to Automobile. They've never been afraid to use a four-letter word here and there.

The difference is that the Automobile writers manage to use colorful language somewhat tastefully and where it's contextually appropriate... unlike this Car-and-Driver toilet paper, where they used 'goddamn' just so they can feel like they're cool.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

DerFahrer wrote:beatersubi, if you like cursing in your automobile rags, subscribe to Automobile. They've never been afraid to use a four-letter word here and there.

The difference is that the Automobile writers manage to use colorful language somewhat tastefully and where it's contextually appropriate... unlike this Car-and-Driver toilet paper, where they used 'goddamn' just so they can feel like they're cool.
I tried Automobile once, when it first came out in ~'98. I wasn't entirely thrilled with it then, but maybe it has improved. I'll have to give it another shot, based on your reccomendation, of course.
I've been a fan of John Phillips for a while. Car and Driver, the rag, is a little hit'n'miss, on the other hand. They seem to have a good sense of humor but its obvious, at times, that they're just doing what they can to increase (retain?) circulation.
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

Check out the members gallery for the articles I was talking about. They are up.

Jeff