New AWIC Work

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

New AWIC Work

Post by Legacy777 »

Well I'm going to try and upgrade the radiator in my AWIC setup.

I pulled the bumper off. I'm probably going to notch the bumper beam about 1.5-2 inches. However I want to see what radiator I'm going to use first. The vertical radiator core support is in the way....but I'm not sure if that will be a big deal. I need to start looking at different radiators.

Also, I found that my bumper beam was barely bolted on. The shop that did the work when I had a small accident messed up the bumper beam. The welds on the nuts broke, and he had them just screwed into the metal. So I'll have to fix that too.

Here's some pics

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... cradiator/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

I have a the factory radiator, and my idea was to notch the bumper beam as well. It should work just fine.
Last edited by stipro on Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Do you have any pictures of the stock AWIC radiator? If not, could you take some?

Thanks
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

I'd like to see how you do this josh. Need notching expertise for eventual front mount...
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

Here's a few:
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks for the pictures!

Those are great.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

What about mounting two smaller ones in the lower bumper in front of the wheels. There's a set of blocked out cooling holes under the blinkers that could aid cooling in that position.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

ehh....I guess that's a possibility....but I don't think that would be optimal....plus require more hoses and crap.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

It looks like you have plenty of surface area with the two radiators you have. Are they not enough? It also looks like you are running them in parallel rather than series. Wouldn't they work better in series?

I just located a good awic and am going to be looking for all the stuff to get the system up and running. Yours looks good so I was wondering why you were looking to change things.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

Jefferson wrote:I just located a good awic and am going to be looking for all the stuff to get the system up and running. Yours looks good so I was wondering why you were looking to change things.

Jeff
I think he is worried/thinking about flow characteristics. A properly sized single unit usually posses less resistance to flow and cooling than multiple undersized units installed, regardless of piping arrangement.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

:lol: you could also make a scoop on your fender and put one inside there ha ha ;)
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Jeff,

The setup I have does work. When it's cool, the AWIC is cool to the touch. The colder the weather, the more impressed I am with the AWIC setup.

The pump I have flows a pretty decent amount. However having a small fitting size 3/8" really restricts the flow.

This post shows the different flow rates with varying size tubing & radiators
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... 846#143846

I would like to find a radiator that has 5/8 - 3/4" fittings so the flow will be better.

I've also contemplated redoing the mounting for my pump. I don't like the fact that the pump is upside down, and also would like to have a small resevoir or surge tank right before the suction of the pump. I've got an idea in my head about that, but I need to see if I'll have room, and would need to do some fabrication.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I put a pc 680 battery in mine for the lighter weight, but now I am thinking that I can use some of the room I now have there for a small tank.
I haven't got my awic yet. What size is the tubing coming off of that?

I feel the only downside to the awic is the weight. I have heard alot about them not being good for long durations of boost, but the 100,000 km record setting cars used the awic setup and they were on boost for 16 days. If the system is good I don't see a problem with them.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Tubing size is in metric, but the closest US size is 5/8" I believe.

The big thing with AWIC setups is, once you do heat soak the system, it becomes difficult to cool it back down. But otherwise they're great IMO.

I haven't had any way to monitor charge temps. But do know the system works well with cooler temps. In stop & go & city traffic temps are little warmer.

During the summer down here, the AWIC was hot....but don't recall it being engine temp hot.

Either way, it's always better to have more radiator capacity then intercooler capcity so if your temps do get a little high, you'll have a little extra cooling capacity to bring them back into check.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

i'm going to install a computer fan (the big kind) in my engine bay to prevent the heat-soak, i think it might be a good idea for the AWIC also.
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
i_c_the_light
First Gear

Post by i_c_the_light »

Legacy777 wrote:Tubing size is in metric, but the closest US size is 5/8" I believe.

The big thing with AWIC setups is, once you do heat soak the system, it becomes difficult to cool it back down. But otherwise they're great IMO.

I haven't had any way to monitor charge temps. But do know the system works well with cooler temps. In stop & go & city traffic temps are little warmer.

During the summer down here, the AWIC was hot....but don't recall it being engine temp hot.

Either way, it's always better to have more radiator capacity then intercooler capcity so if your temps do get a little high, you'll have a little extra cooling capacity to bring them back into check.
What is the metric size of the tubes? I've had a lot of sudden inspiration and this weird urge to want to do stuff to my car now that the front bumper is off and with all the bolt on bits of the RH front corner obliterated in a head on.
1990 Legacy GT wagon. 100% JDM, 100% factory.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

These common sizes interchange within the tolerance range of most tools.
5/16" = 8mm
7/16" = 11mm
1/2" = 13mm
9/16" = 14mm
5/8" = 16mm
11/16" = 17mm
3/4" = 19mm
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

SubaruNation wrote:i'm going to install a computer fan (the big kind) in my engine bay to prevent the heat-soak, i think it might be a good idea for the AWIC also.
Unless the fan is rated for outside use....it will probably fail prematurely.

I had thought about putting a separate skinner pusher fan on.....depending on the room, I may....we'll see.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Boostedballs
First Gear

Post by Boostedballs »

I find that it's easiest to use a radiator and fan from a motorcycle. Then, the unit can be mounted almost anywhere and the parts are designed for severe duty. They are usually very compact as well.

I'm going to relocate my battery to the rear of the car and use the space for my AWIC.

check this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NINJA-25 ... enameZWDVW
Air-to-Water Intercooler, VF-39, 550 injectors, AEM FIC, stainless race header, 3" stainless exhaust, 75hp Nitrous, 150psi H2O injection, intake mods, stock: long block, 4EAT, ecm.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Boostedballs wrote:I find that it's easiest to use a radiator and fan from a motorcycle. Then, the unit can be mounted almost anywhere and the parts are designed for severe duty. They are usually very compact as well.
Best idea I've ever heard about this subject! :smt023

Nice work, thanks!
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

I mounted a motorcycle fan (thank you GSXR 1000!) pulling air on the underside of the TMIC on my OBS-T relayed to turn on with the radiator fans.

This caused the intake temp to increase about 3* so it came off.

Since I did not have the correct splitter for the TMIC the bike fan was pulling hot air from the rad/engine bay through the I/C & causing intake temps to increase.

I never tried powering the fan on whenever the car was on which may reduce charge temps, but I have alky injection on that car so the fan was really not needed.

+1 on the bike rads / fans working well for AWIC set-ups.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Only thing I wish I could find out is details on size, thickness, etc. I guess I can look on ebay and see what I can find.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Make sure to get a flat one too because some sport bikes have curved radiators - my R1 had a curved radiator.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I bought a set of pwr exchangers.....and while their size is a little bigger then I wanted, I was hopefully to get them to fit. However when I got them, the exchangers are not square/plumb. The end tanks look bowed as well. For $210 a piece, I expect a lot better quality. I bet their welding jig is fubared. So back to the search.

Here's some pics
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... exchanger/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

What's the original application for those?

They look more than capable, even if the craftsmanship is sub-par.
90 L+ wgn