Good Legacy T Wagon Suspension?

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

conrAWD
First Gear

Good Legacy T Wagon Suspension?

Post by conrAWD »

I've been doing a lot of researching but haven't found any suspension set up I am completely set on. I have a 1994 wagon with tired suspension.

What I want is something affordable, good for street and light off road use, and DOES NOT lower my car. I will be doing some auto crossing and some light trail use to reach campsites and hiking trails. My comparison is a friend with a 2002 WRX with STI "Pinks" on it. The car maintained close to stock ride height and ground clearance while having much tighter and more responsive suspension.

I have been looking at KYB AGX's with Ground Control adjustable coils. The setup on ebay would cost about $900-$1000.

I would prefer to spend half that but can't find anything worth while. I'm not positive, but I don't think that any of the STI suspensions except the pinks would work on my wagon (and I think tophats would need to be replaced as well) due to the spring rate of the rear.

My question for you guys is what do you think of the set up I proposed earlier: KYB AGX with GC coils.

Is there any STI suspension that will work without lowering my car? (because I can find it used pretty cheap)

What else would you recommend?
94 Legacy Touring Wagon
83 GL Wagon "Mountain Goat" - Sold
carfreak85
First Gear

LEGOs my friend, LEGOs

Post by carfreak85 »

I'm not 100%, but I'm fairly certain that the suspension on any EJ powered Subaru will physically bolt onto your Legacy, buy you might have to use your factory strut tops IN THE REAR. The fronts should be a direct swap. Basically any STI parts will work on front and rear, as long as the rear tops are original to your Legacy. As for spring rates, the STi weighs about the same as your wagon as it is, so coil overs for an STi, again, would be a direct swap. AGXs with factory STi springs would probably suit you, but those springs are shorter, maybe the struts too, so your car will get lowered either way.
1975 Superstar Wagon
1984 GL-10 Turbo-Traction Wagon & Hardtop
1987 & '87.5 RX coupes
1987 RX Type-RA
2002 WRX sedan
2019 Outback 2.5i Limited
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Or if you want to maintain ride height (like you said) and just increase stiffness, just buy some AGX's. They make them for our cars and they have 8 different damper adjustments (for how soft or stiff you want it).

I have not personally used them, but other members on the forum seem to be very happy with AGX's.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
conrAWD
First Gear

Post by conrAWD »

I was thinking of doing that and keeping stock springs, but I wasn't sure if that would be a set up I'd be happy with.

I've driven a friends WRX with STI pink's on it and was very pleased with the set up. Most of my searching is based off a comparison to that suspension.
94 Legacy Touring Wagon
carfreak85
First Gear

Post by carfreak85 »

Conrad, that WRX you keep talking about, just so you know it has STi springs on it too.
1975 Superstar Wagon
1984 GL-10 Turbo-Traction Wagon & Hardtop
1987 & '87.5 RX coupes
1987 RX Type-RA
2002 WRX sedan
2019 Outback 2.5i Limited
conrAWD
First Gear

Post by conrAWD »

I know, and according to chris it's also got highest spring rate they offered.

That's why I said keeping my stock springs probably wouldn't be a set up I'd enjoy.
94 Legacy Touring Wagon