TD04 upgrade time, a couple ?'s first.

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Bdub
Second Gear

TD04 upgrade time, a couple ?'s first.

Post by Bdub »

Okay, I'm pretty damn sure I read every thread that has to do with the turbo, tmic, and other goodies.
I'm slowly gathering what I need before I take on this project, so far I've got a TD04 off an 06 wrx, a tmic off an 07, a BOV adapter so I can use the stock bpv, and a rather inexpensive boost gauge.

First thing I want to do is see what the stock turbo is putting out. I can see where the best place to T into the Vac line is for the gauge, but my one question is, what size "T" did some of you use? I looked at Napa, and there were a few odd sizes...I was prepared to buy one of each, but I decided to ask instead of doing that.
Through The Generations...
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

I think I used an 1/8". Your best bet, if your budget allows, is to get one of the boxes that has a large assortment of couplers, tee's, transitions, etc. for like 10 bucks. It'll last a long time and as you get into things and start replacing the old vac lines you're going to want to replace the connectors as well. I know it's already paid off for me.

My .02 at least.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Don't T into the turbo, use the takeoff under the brake booster hose...It will give you a manifold pressure reading
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

i still need to fix that......... t size doesn't matter as far as i know
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

I've found a T that will fit the car's oem vac lines, however the nylon hose from the gauge is way too small in a dia. to work with my T. I can't find a T any smaller than 1/8, but even if I went smaller, then the vac lines won't work with it.
Any solution to this? I've been to about 10 diff. hardware and auto stores with no luck.
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

If I were you I'd scratch the nylon hose. Go to an auto parts store and get some actual vacuum hose.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

don't use that BS nylon/brass fittings.

i will upload a pic of how mine is set up.

it's just a hose over the top of the connector. don't use any of that other stuff

and T size doesn't have to match up. as long as it fits and you dont lose/gain air from unintended spots you should be ok
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

Thanks, it occurred to me after looking at that hose again that I may as well just use some rubber hose instead.
I sort of mocked it up yesterday, but I couldn't find any vacuum line under the master cylinder. Perhaps earlier models are different?
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

Bdub wrote:Thanks, it occurred to me after looking at that hose again that I may as well just use some rubber hose instead.
I sort of mocked it up yesterday, but I couldn't find any vacuum line under the master cylinder. Perhaps earlier models are different?
im not sure, but as long as you dont gain/lose pressure you should be OK
keirnna
First Gear

Post by keirnna »

If your t fitting is a bit to big just hit it with some WD40 and push it in. It will go in and stay there for a long time.
Subarus are probably the most reliable cars made – they make Hondas look like South American dictatorships." - Jeremy Clarkson
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Bdub wrote: I sort of mocked it up yesterday, but I couldn't find any vacuum line under the master cylinder. Perhaps earlier models are different?

That's because there isn't one...the takeoff I was referring to is under the brake booster hose, where it connects to the intake manifold.
Nick

Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

Thanks. Reading Comprehension isn't my strong point I guess. I see it now. This is going to the bpv, correct?
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

here's a pic of the T, mine is in a different spot. i will move it eventually :roll:

BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

Here is how I did my t for the boost line going into cylinder #1 (err front left one :P). The empty ends obvious get spliced into the line going to the cylinder.

Image,

Nice snug fit with no leaks.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Bdub wrote: This is going to the bpv, correct?
Yes...that is the one :D
Nick

Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

Mine's overengineered a bit. Must have been the German side of me that came up with it. Big brass tee with a compression fitting on one for the boost gauge and a ribbed brass hose fitting on the other two. Pretty compact as far as brass goes.
-2004 Liquid Silver WRX "Pretty Hate Machine"
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

Thanks for the help. I have it all hooked up and working. I should have just paid the extra $10 and bought the autometer gauge.
The needle in this piece of crap doesn't even go back to "0". So much for accuracy.
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
keirnna
First Gear

Post by keirnna »

Bdub wrote:Thanks for the help. I have it all hooked up and working. I should have just paid the extra $10 and bought the autometer gauge.
The needle in this piece of crap doesn't even go back to "0". So much for accuracy.
It may need calibration.
Subarus are probably the most reliable cars made – they make Hondas look like South American dictatorships." - Jeremy Clarkson
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

keirnna wrote:
Bdub wrote:Thanks for the help. I have it all hooked up and working. I should have just paid the extra $10 and bought the autometer gauge.
It may need calibration.
or a VDO :roll: