DOHC projects going on to ej22t blocks

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

DOHC projects going on to ej22t blocks

Post by NICO »

i just wanted to update something for pepole that do this swap.

the center breather hole that is on the ej22t block (front one) if you do put DOHC heads on the ej22t block, make sure you plug the center hole.

i made a basic set this time around and siad fuck it! i am pluging this hole and oil is not in the intake track like my other set ups. sounds stupid but its true.

just wanted to put this out there, becuse im beatting this motor real hard and at 5000kms it does not lose a single drop of oil. and this is a basic set up useing a 300,000kms block with stock internals an DOHC heads.
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

Good to know, thanks!
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

Thanks nico! I'll have to hit you up soon, I blew up one of my motors.
Kickin' it old-school.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

no problemos guys, Arctic Assassian what happend?
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

Well, I guess I didn't blow it up, I tore it down to reseal it and it turned into needing new bearings and rings. Aparently, the last place the worked on it, in bum fuck nowhere, alaska. Welded the keyway for the crank sprocket, when it gave way, But they messed up the oil pump where the front main seal goes, AND used the sealing surface on the CRANK as the spot to put the ground clamp for the welder, leaving gashes that pee oil.
I always thought I just needed a new oil pump, now I find out the oil pump was fine, it was the main seal that couldn't make a seal anymore. I found a new crank from a 95 ej18 that is should work. If it looks bad, ill get one from Blackbart.
Long story short, I'm doing a full rebuild, except I dont wanna spend the money on wiseco pistons and rods right now, so I'm gonna use the stockers again. I am gonna put 98 2.5 heads and a 16g on there.
Kickin' it old-school.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

wow not good at all, poor motor. some pepole should not be allowed to touch cars. glad you got it all working out, my set up is just like yours all stock with 16g. its a really nice set up, i think yours will hold up very well. i have put mine to the test and its strong.

i still have my raceing block to build, all the parts are just sitting around. one of these days when i got some time i will put it together.
GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

Post by GodSquadMandrake »

So you don't plug the back breather hole right? I think they call it the air/oil separator in the book.
-Doug Wilson
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

^^ no no not the back hole for the pcv system. i am talking about the front hole, its like in the middle center of the block.

its like under the rear of the altenator on the ej22t blocks, when useing DOHC heads you plug that hole.

update: 7th oil change to day, not a drop of oil burnt away. and also looked in intake track for oil and nothing! just nice and clean pipes and air filter + intercooler pipes.

so i guess after i build a couple of these motor i am getting better at it lol. well you learn along the way i guess.