ABS issues

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Laura
First Gear

ABS issues

Post by Laura »

This has happened a few times now: I start my car just fine, I notice nothing out-of-the-ordinary, except for my ABS light says I'm an idiot. I suppose I will find out if it's telling me the truth or not based on your answers. I don't notice any performance issues with Pearly, and when I get to my destination and turn off the car, I hear a noise. The first time I heard it it was incredibly loud, and when I popped the hood the noise was coming from the ABS box; the last couple of times the light has come on I don't recall it being as loud. I didn't have any tools with me... plus I wouldn't have had a clue what to do if I did have them, so I just hit the thing... and don't laugh, cause it worked, the noise went away. You can get mad cause I hit my car, (I apologized to her) but it salved the problem. So the other day as I was driving to work I noticed the light was on again, but with my special memory skills, and the fact that the light is directly behind the steering wheel from my line-of-sight, I forgot to check it, and like I said, it wasn't as loud, so I didn't hear it as I walked into work. Sooooo, when I got off work I turned the key, and the battery was dead... I immediately remembered what had happened, and I popped the hood yet again and the darn thing was still mustering every last bit of sound it had left... I hit it, it stopped, someone gave me some juice and when I turned the car on the light was off. I did do some research before I posted this, however all the instances I saw included performance issues and such, while mine is simply the light is on when I start the car, or it's not. It never comes on twice in a row. The obvious "solution" to me is to unplug the box, but someone please enlighten me on how I can actually solve the problem.
Laura

77 Ford F150 (SOLD)
90 Legacy L 5sp AWD (SOLD!)
05 Ninja 250 (SOLD!)
02 Suzuki TL1000R (SOLD)
01 Suzuki GSX-R 750
91 Legacy SS 5MT Pearl White Turbo (For Sale)
07 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Sounds like a short somewhere causing it to run constantly (though intermittently, which is...seemingly contradictory). I had a friend with a Cadillac whose automatic trunk did that. Check the connector for obvious signs of corrosion. If it looks normal, try leaving it disconnected. I'd recommend weatherproofing it in case of the event that you want to fix it.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

I had this problem. I would hear the noise and I would smack the ABS box and it would go away. I swapped the relays under the plastic ABS box and it hasn't been a problem since. I got the new relays from Blackbart, the best used parts pirate in the sea, or um, land that is.

I suppose you might be able to open up the plastic housing on each relay and try to clean the contacts. I didn't try that, but it could work in theory. A spray can of electrical contact cleaner and a pencil eraser might do the trick, but like I said, I didn't try it.
-2004 Liquid Silver WRX "Pretty Hate Machine"
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Yeah I had the same problem. There are two relays in that box that you hit. I just replaced both of them and the problem went away.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Laura...Nicky has spare relays...

And why didn't you consult me?!
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Uh oh. I sense tension. Lol j/k.
-Aaron

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

i had the same problem, i unplug by battery when it makes the noise which isnt very often, i think your fine but leaving it on all day could burn it out, every time i back out of my drive way and touch the brake the pedal pulses and my something under the hood makes a noise similar to that of a spring releasing, does yours do that to Laura?
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

What you're seeing Laura is a standard issue. It's just a relay that isn't closing properly and leaving the ABS pump running.

I had the same problem and just yanked the relay (still need to replace it).

If you search you'll find a post by Matt M. I think it was that describes what you and everyone else is experiences - except what RJ93SS is seeing.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
Laura
First Gear

Post by Laura »

RJ93SS wrote:i had the same problem, i unplug by battery when it makes the noise which isnt very often, i think your fine but leaving it on all day could burn it out, every time i back out of my drive way and touch the brake the pedal pulses and my something under the hood makes a noise similar to that of a spring releasing, does yours do that to Laura?
I didn't leave it on purposefully. And my car definately does not make that sound... I don't know what else to tell ya except that's probably not a good sound.
Laura

77 Ford F150 (SOLD)
90 Legacy L 5sp AWD (SOLD!)
05 Ninja 250 (SOLD!)
02 Suzuki TL1000R (SOLD)
01 Suzuki GSX-R 750
91 Legacy SS 5MT Pearl White Turbo (For Sale)
07 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

i know u didnt do it purposely, mine makes the springin sound and the brakes dont work as well for like a tenth of a second and then it's back to normal, it seems to only happen when i first start it and back down any type of hill???
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Yup. My 93 LS has that same exact problem. If I start it up and start backing down a hill, the brake pedal moves in about an inch and makes this 'boooiiing' sound and then it works fine after that. I have no idea what it is. It sounds like a spring of some sort.
-Aaron

RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

does anybody know what causes this???