ahhhh shifter problems

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

ahhhh shifter problems

Post by SILINC3R »

so I was on my way to work crusing at about 75 i 4th and went to shift into 5th and next thing i about shifted into third. got to work. after work I was leaving and i had to reverse but it kept putting me into 4th no matter how hard i kicked it over. please tell me my summer is not going to be ruined :cry:
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

So did you actually get it into 5th? Reverse on the factory tranny on a lot of our cars can be a bugger. Sometimes you have to let the clutch out and roll the car a touch to get it in.
1992 SS 5MT
She's growing faster in her old age!
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

no i had to drive on I-85 with it in 4th
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

That sucks.

How old is your clutch, are your cable and bushings in good repair? When my clutch went I could not engage any gears at all, but that was a hydrolic unit. Maybe you just have a problem with a bad bushing? You may want to look at the tranny fluid as well, change it if you dont know when it last was changed and check the plug for metal debris. When this initially happened did you hear any grinding noises? If it was the syncro you would likely hear it when attempting to engage. Does it grind in reverse? BAC5 has mentioned before that 5th is separate from 1-4 & R so maybe youll get lucky and find its nothing big.
1992 SS 5MT
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

maybe at most 5 years. the bushing on the shifter is bad but i do not know about the other ones. dont know how to check the cable. i hope it is just a bushing. it only grindes when i try to move it to reverse sometimes and sometimes when i try to go to 5 but that is because it is going into 3rd.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

Well if I understand things correctly, the cable would affect things the same as if your clutch was bad, you would have issues in every gear. Id start with the fluid, drain and check the plug. It takes as much time as a regular oil change and costs about the same. This will give you a chance to look at the plug and fluid to inspect for bits of metal or syncro. Thats where Id start. Also look at posts by the user BAC5, you may have seen him already, he is quite adept at transmission issues and knows more than just about anyone Ive met in that area.
1992 SS 5MT
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

Oh, and I have the bushings you would need to fix the side to side slop, so if you need them let me know!
1992 SS 5MT
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

I bet this has something to do with hacking off half of the shifter.
Kickin' it old-school.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

:lol: no i only cut where the threads are. i would take picture but am an idiot at getting that image thing to work.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

I understand what you did. I did the same thing in my 93 impreza. It borked my gearbox, and was hard to shift.
Kickin' it old-school.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

fixed it. bought shifter bushing from Subaru dealership for 6.50 each. only needed two. dont have shifting problems anymore. :-D
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
supra90turbo
First Gear

Post by supra90turbo »

its amazing what a difference new bushings make. I just finished doing this to my car. what a world of difference. it feels like a new car!
94 Ti Pearl White - 191k - Tein - Rota - Dunlop - ITG
94 Mi Blue Metallic - 210k - Whiteline - Pirelli - RallyArmor - Hella - AEM